Amazon workers in NY vote to unionize

42 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The HR offices for Walmart actually warn new hires that mentioning the U word is grounds for termination.

I recall something along those lines when I worked there from 2006-2010. Don't recall if they outright threatened termination, but they were heavy handed about encouraging workers not to bring up unions.

Heavy handedness was definitely present. I was told to never talk about unionizing at work at all. Also told I should never talk to an outside union rep under any circumstance. And then they would finish off the barrage against unions by saying the company does everything in its power to provide the best benefits to employs and unions aren't necessary.

And this tactic must work.  I've never heard anyone talk about unions, even if it was something in the news, and no one has ever suggested that we need one despite the fact that literally every single day they complain about the working conditions, and in the past two years chronic injuries have tripled while they continue to demand more production than they ever have. 

As you see in those vote totals Starbucks shops are relatively small headcount, so they're gonna be a a fuck of a lot easier to organize en masse than something like an Amazon warehouse. A relatively small number of people you need to convince and the people within a shop presumably all know each other. 

48 minutes ago, Jason said:

As you see in those vote totals Starbucks shops are relatively small headcount, so they're gonna be a a fuck of a lot easier to organize en masse than something like an Amazon warehouse. A relatively small number of people you need to convince and the people within a shop presumably all know each other. 

Significantly less turnover, too

• 2 weeks later...