We've got a trailer for Ms Marvel...

I really want to know how they're going to explain her powers in this new series. With Disney/Marvel sidelining AoS to a pruned timeline, there are no other inuhumans in the sacred timeline. Also, it didn't really look like her typical inhuman powers in this trailer.

34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Looks pretty rad.

And yeah her powers look like a mishmash of the Ten Rings / Strange's dark dimension stuff, and her "normal" powers from the comics, at least visually. 

A part of me thinks this is Marvel's way of getting past comparisons between her and Reed Richards. If they're bringing Fanatic 4 into the MCU, I guess they'd want to avoid power overlaps especially in a case where Kamala's seem like an improvement on Reed's.

Damnnnnn 

I’ve been knocked on here for pointing out that Captain Marvel as hasn’t connected with women fans like Marvel was hoping she would, but just putting it out there that I’m not the only woman who feels this way. Which is sad because I’m a huge Brie Larson fan! I’m really hopeful that Ms Marvel will work though.

Edit:

Wow, even the girl who plays Ms Marvel wasn’t a fan of the Captain Marvel movie :lol:

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Captain Marvel made > $1B and about as much as one of the recent Spider-Men, the narrative that it didn’t land / resonate is so weird to me. 

It really is. It's as weird to me as when people say that there's clearly superhero fatigue when a movie like Captain Marvel can pull in Spider-Man money.

I think this came up the last time we were talking about Captain Marvel, but that movie was so clearly targeting younger girls. The marketing for that movie was all about the concept of young girls can like superheroes too and it worked, because somebody was watching the movie in droves when most were more than happy skipping Ant Man and Wasp.

It makes all the sense in the world that Marvel would double down with high school kids for Ms Marvel. After that we get America Chavez, as played by 15yo Xochitl Gomez, popping up in Dr Strange 2. Now Disney just needs to find some confident dork of a teen to play Doreen Green and we'll be all set.

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Captain Marvel made > $1B and about as much as one of the recent Spider-Men, the narrative that it didn’t land / resonate is so weird to me. 

The movie did well because people were primed for the first female led Marvel movie. But nobody talks about it today because the character didn’t exactly catch on.

Wonder Woman 2 was also highly viewed on HBO Max but just because a lot of people watched it doesn’t mean they liked it. (and for the record I actually kinda liked Wonder Woman 2, but my opinion is clearly outside the consensus here)

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It really is. It's as weird to me as when people say that there's clearly superhero fatigue when a movie like Captain Marvel can pull in Spider-Man money.

I think this came up the last time we were talking about Captain Marvel, but that movie was so clearly targeting younger girls. The marketing for that movie was all about the concept of young girls can like superheroes too and it worked, because somebody was watching the movie in droves when most were more than happy skipping Ant Man and Wasp.

It makes all the sense in the world that Marvel would double down with high school kids for Ms Marvel. After that we get America Chavez, as played by 15yo Xochitl Gomez, popping up in Dr Strange 2. Now Disney just needs to find some confident dork of a teen to play Doreen Green and we'll be all set.

Sometimes things can be successful but not necessarily stick around. Tiger King was super successful but nobody watched Tiger King 2, for example. Batman v Superman was also successful but not particularly well liked. So was Rise of Skywalker. I think today success has more to do with how well something is marketed and what came before it than anything else.

The problem with Captain Marvel is that for most of the movie she didn't even know who she was. She didn't even become herself until the very end of the movie. It's such a poor structure for a movie that is trying to set up a character that we're supposed to love. And that's no fault of Brie. It took Marvel making three Thor movie before they finally found a version of the character that resonated with audiences. Sometimes you don't get it right the first time. But for these big expensive movies the stakes are pretty high for making sure they nail the character.

But the rumor is that Brie isn't happy with how the character turned out and doesn't want to play her anymore. And that they may kill her off in the sequel which is why it's being billed as "The Marvels." I'm a little skeptical but am still really curious as to why they removed Captain Marvel's name from her own sequel.

Look as a female fan of Marvel and Brie Larson it's a huge bummer that the movie isn't all that great. And I hate to admit that because the movie became such a target for misogynists that I truly wish it was good because I hate feeling associated with them in any shape or form. I know a lot of other female Marvel fans, both online and in real life, who feel similarly*. I feel like saying this is a "narrative" minimizes all of the women who were disappointed by how the first female-led Marvel movie turned out. I feel like our voices still matter here. We deserve better female characters.

*I should note that these same women I know are also super pumped for Ms Marvel. We are hopeful and optimistic that Marvel will get this one right.

EDIT: Those are my thoughts for now and I won't say anything more until we get closer to The Marvels. So for now I'm dropping it because there's no use in continuing this.

4 hours ago, Kamusha said:

Sometimes things can be successful but not necessarily stick around. Tiger King was super successful but nobody watched Tiger King 2, for example. Batman v Superman was also successful but not particularly well liked. So was Rise of Skywalker. I think today success has more to do with how well something is marketed and what came before it than anything else.

The problem with Captain Marvel is that for most of the movie she didn't even know who she was. She didn't even become herself until the very end of the movie. It's such a poor structure for a movie that is trying to set up a character that we're supposed to love. And that's no fault of Brie. It took Marvel making three Thor movie before they finally found a version of the character that resonated with audiences. Sometimes you don't get it right the first time. But for these big expensive movies the stakes are pretty high for making sure they nail the character.

But the rumor is that Brie isn't happy with how the character turned out and doesn't want to play her anymore. And that they may kill her off in the sequel which is why it's being billed as "The Marvels." I'm a little skeptical but am still really curious as to why they removed Captain Marvel's name from her own sequel.

As long as you're aware that rumors about Brie Larson being unhappy about the role are about as fake as that Iman Vellani Captain Marvel screenshot. Like, I know Marvel movies generally score well with the people that actually watch them, but the movie still has an A cinemascore compared to all the lower ranked MCU movies like the A- Antman and Wasp, Black Widow, or Thor 2.

There are already a bunch of built in excuses here. The Marvels does well and folks will say it's because people thought it wasn't a Captain Marvel sequel. If it doesn't do well, it'll be because nobody wanted to watch a Captain Marvel sequel. Sure the movie sold a shitload of tickets. Hell, the movie did better in the US WITH fewer screens than Spider-Man Far from Home did and Spider-Man dropped on a long weekend. Sure, she sells a bunch of toys and clothes and merch, but that's only because she's the only real female superhero young Marvel fans can glom into.

I understand that you might be a fan of Brie Larson and was just disappointed because you were hoping the movie would be better. I get that. Just don't get caught up in all the Twitter bullshit surrounding Brie Larson and Captain Marvel. There are...so many angry little men that just make up shit, whole cloth, because of some weird little man hatred boner they all have for her. In actuality, Brie Larson is probably putting more into her MCU role than anyone not named Chris Hemsworth.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

As long as you're aware that rumors about Brie Larson being unhappy about the role are about as fake as that Iman Vellani Captain Marvel screenshot. Like, I know Marvel movies generally score well with the people that actually watch them, but the movie still has an A cinemascore compared to all the lower ranked MCU movies like the A- Antman and Wasp, Black Widow, or Thor 2.

There are already a bunch of built in excuses here. The Marvels does well and folks will say it's because people thought it wasn't a Captain Marvel sequel. If it doesn't do well, it'll be because nobody wanted to watch a Captain Marvel sequel. Sure the movie sold a shitload of tickets. Hell, the movie did better in the US WITH fewer screens than Spider-Man Far from Home did and Spider-Man dropped on a long weekend. Sure, she sells a bunch of toys and clothes and merch, but that's only because she's the only real female superhero young Marvel fans can glom into.

I understand that you might be a fan of Brie Larson and was just disappointed because you were hoping the movie would be better. I get that. Just don't get caught up in all the Twitter bullshit surrounding Brie Larson and Captain Marvel. There are...so many angry little men that just make up shit, whole cloth, because of some weird little man hatred boner they all have for her. In actuality, Brie Larson is probably putting more into her MCU role than anyone not named Chris Hemsworth.

I'm sorry but I literally said it's women who I know who were disappointed in the movie, including myself. The tweet poking fun at Captain Marvel was from a woman. It feels weird having men explain this to me like I don't know this or something, no offense. That's why I don't feel like carrying on this conversation any further. It's not coming across well for me.

Also, that Iman Vellani review is totally real lol

120553545_2612462352340248_3480296569773
FANDOMWIRE.COM

We've found the Letterboxd account of Ms. Marvel star Iman Vellani and it's amazing. Check out some of the best movie reviews!

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, a movie doesn’t hit > $1B and fail to resonate. It’s in the top 30 highest grossing films of all time, and there’s not a single one on that list that “didn’t resonate.” This narrative is so damned bizarre.

Yeah, but maybe people were hate watching it? Domestically, it was pulling in millions every weekend from release its in early March all the way until the weekend after Endgame came out in May. Captain Marvel tricked people into watching it for so long it managed to be a top ten box office draw every weekend for as long as any of the Avengers movies. No, seriously, the only MCU movie I can think of that had better legs is the phenom Black Panther. I wouldn't do it justice to summarize the way that film resonated with audiences in only a few words. Black Panther was sort of a big deal.

Every metric that has ever existed says a movie having legs means good word of mouth. However, Twitterverse is here to tell us that opposite is true for Captain Marvel because reasons.

55 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, a movie doesn’t hit > $1B and fail to resonate. It’s in the top 30 highest grossing films of all time, and there’s not a single one on that list that “didn’t resonate.” This narrative is so damned bizarre.

My man you trying to argue that Avatar resonated?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Did Rise of Skywalker resonate? Did the three Hobbit movies resonate? Those movies all made a billion or close to it but that was more to do because the franchises they were part of were beloved, but not necessarily the movie themselves. Captain Marvel is part of the large Marvel franchise and was the first female lead film which gave it a lot of hype that helped propel its success. But I don't know anyone whose favorite Avenger is actually Captain Marvel. I think people like it fine, but nobody walked away actually loving her which wasn't what Marvel wanted.

If Captain Marvel made a billion dollars without being connected to a larger franchise you'd have a better argument.

37 minutes ago, Chris- said:

It absolutely, unquestionably did.

33 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

Did Rise of Skywalker resonate? Did the three Hobbit movies resonate? Those movies all made a billion or close to it but that was more to do because the franchises they were part of were beloved, but not necessarily the movie themselves. Captain Marvel is part of the large Marvel franchise and was the first female lead film which gave it a lot of hype that helped propel its success. But I don't know anyone whose favorite Avenger is actually Captain Marvel. I think people like it fine, but nobody walked away actually loving her which wasn't what Marvel wanted.

If Captain Marvel made a billion dollars without being connected to a larger franchise you'd have a better argument.

The first Hobbit has an A Cinemascore, the second two have an A-, come on now. I don’t even know what we’re talking about anymore, all we’re saying is that some people didn’t like popular movies, which isn’t exactly breaking news. If you look at the top grossing movies of all time, they’re almost all big franchises, adaptations, or Disney cartoons which are basically a franchise in of themselves.

This is like talking about Roblox, Minecraft, or mobile games here or on places like ResetERA. A segment of vocal, online people not routinely engaging in something doesn’t mean it’s not wildly popular and it didn’t land with its intended audience. Nobody here talks about Roblox, that doesn’t mean Roblox isn’t 1000x more popular than Elden Ring, it is, and THAT doesn’t mean that Elden Ring didn’t resonate, it did.

27 minutes ago, Chris- said:

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Fans of James Cameron's 3D sci-fi epic Avatar appear to be finding it harder than usual to separate fact from fiction.

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Resonated straight into one of Disney World's most popular attractions. Opening Pandora did what? Increase attendance to other Disney World attractions like Animal Kingdom by 30%? All that nearly a decade after the movie was long out of theaters.

This feels like sports talk radio discussions of whether Eli Manning was actually an “elite QB” despite winning two Super Bowls.

Making a billion dollars at the box office is the only thing needed to answer the question here.

Just now, sblfilms said:

This feels like sports talk radio discussions of whether Eli Manning was actually an “elite QB” despite winning two Super Bowls.

Making a billion dollars at the box office is the only answer that matters here.

Eli Manning is a .500 quarterback, whether or not he is elite has a definitive answer: no. Does that matter? Also no.

:p 

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Eli Manning is a .500 quarterback, whether or not he is elite has a definitive answer: no. Does that matter? Also no.

:p 

Jets fan in the house

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hate is all I have, don’t take it from me.

Put David Tyree’s helmet in the hall of fame, the only way Eli gets in is buying a ticket.

Hey now, I'm sure his brother can call in some favors and save him those $30.

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Making a billion dollars at the box office is the only thing needed to answer the question here.

Movies can be successful without leaving a lasting cultural impact. We’re not talking about whether it was a financial success, obviously it was. But whether it made a cultural impact. There’s a bit more nuance here that some are missing.

11 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

lol this board use to always argue that Avatar made no cultural impact even though it made a lot of money. And now suddenly, when it serves purpose of the argument, it did! Funny how that works!

No one MCU movie has had a cultural impact other than Black Panther. Saying a film resonated with audiences or was even enjoyed by a large number of people is a completely different matter. The MCU, as a whole, has changed the facts of cinema. Want me to name one MCU film that has done the same outside of Black Panther? Sorry, I can't. Maybe The first Avengers, but like...eh.

These are all popcorn movies that only nerds around here talk about beyond the short walk from the theater seat to the dinner booth. Us Internet nerds here or on Twitter mean nothing. There are more people subscribed to r/captainmarvelrule34 than r/blackpanther. How does that matter? It matters about as much as Twitter hand waving does in the face of a billion dollars.

1 hour ago, Kamusha said:

Movies can be successful without leaving a lasting cultural impact. We’re not talking about whether it was a financial success, obviously it was. But whether it made a cultural impact. There’s a bit more nuance here that some are missing.

That isn’t what you were initially arguing. You argued women didn’t like it because your sphere didn’t like it and they were primed to like it :p 

Whether it has had lasting cultural impact is a separate issue, but how many MCU movies have?

I would say Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, GOTG, Avengers, Infinity War, and Endgame feel like films that have lasted both on their own merits and in some cases as launch points for further cultural engagement.

Captain Marvel is just a mostly forgettable entry into the MCU…like most MCU movies! Maybe people were hoping for CM to be for many women what Black Panther was for many Black people, and it would seem it wasn’t from your observations and mine.

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t what you were initially arguing. You argued women didn’t like it because your sphere didn’t like it and they were primed to like it :p 

Whether it has had lasting cultural impact is a separate issue, but how many MCU movies have?

I would say Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, GOTG, Avengers, Infinity War, and Endgame feel like films that have lasted both on their own merits and in some cases as launch points for further cultural engagement.

Captain Marvel is just a mostly forgettable entry into the MCU…like most MCU movies! Maybe people were hoping for CM to be for many women what Black Panther was for many Black people, and it would seem it wasn’t from your observations and mine.

How could anyone expect that out of Captain Marvel? Marvel got Ryan Coogler coming off Fruitvale Station and Creed to debut their first black hero set in African Atlantis. Captain Marvel had the team behind Mississippi Grind set in 90s era Blockbuster.

Just big whats all around. What we got was a competent if not forgettable MCU flick that audiences received about as well as anything Spider-Man that didn't have Dr Strange in it. I'd say that's hitting well above their weight for the character and team behind it.

I don't think anyone here ever argued that Avatar didn't resonate with Joe Sixpack whoever. I think people here just don't think it's a great movie.

It's like how The Last Jedi is hated online, but there are legions of kids and teens who love the characters and that film and cosplay as them. We're mostly 30+ year old men and women, most of whom don't have kids or don't have kids old enough to be plugged into what's making waves today.

Captain Marvel definitely resonated with young girls, the movie made over a billion at the box office. That's not saying it's a good movie, but clearly people are watching it, that means it resonated. Whether it has a lasting cultural impact on the group of people it initially resonated with is a different question. I think people get defensive with admitting something resonated at large when they personally didn't really like the thing sometimes.