We've got a trailer for Ms Marvel...

• 2 months later...

Watched the first episode this morning. It’s fun! Charming! It brings a fresh energy that the MCU could really use. Looking forward to the rest of the season. I assume it’ll eventually build to set up the groundwork for the Marvels movie, but I hope it stays relatively low stakes for now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Watched the first episode this morning. It’s fun! Charming! It brings a fresh energy that the MCU could really use. Looking forward to the rest of the season. I assume it’ll eventually build to set up the groundwork for the Marvels movie, but I hope it stays relatively low stakes for now.

Wait, this is out??? I thought it wasn't coming out until after Obi Wan was done.

• Halal 1

Same, I thought this was still a few weeks away for some reason

Re: the previous discussion, I think teenage girls are basically the biggest drivers of pop culture, and what teenage girls like is almost universally hated by everyone else until it isn't. 

• True 1

14 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Liked the style and will be interested to see where they take the show. Hadn't paid much attention so can't remember if they ever said why they changed her powers. Anyone know? 

ms-marvel-powers-1652266578956.jpeg?widt
WWW.IGN.COM

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has explained why Ms. Marvel's powers in the MCU Disney+ series are not exactly the same as those in the original comics.

"We adapt the comics; it's not an exact translation," Feige explained to the outlet, making reference to the changes spotted by fans in various teaser trailers for the series. "[Kamala] came about in a very specific time within the comic-book continuity. She is now coming into a very specific time within the MCU continuity. And those two things didn't match."

In the comics, Kamala is depicted as an Inhuman. She's completely unaware of her Inhuman heritage until the day she's exposed to a cloud of Terrigen Mists and her powers suddenly manifest. Kamala becomes a polymorph, meaning she is able to stretch and expand her body into all sorts of shapes, but this isn't how things happen in the MCU.

"What we will learn about where those powers come from, and how they come about, is specific to the MCU," Feige teased, touching on the MCU's transformation of Kamala's powers and origin. "You will see great comic splash panels in some of our action sequences. If you want big, giant hands and arms, well they're here in spirit, if not in stretchy, plastic-type ways."

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brick said:

Probably just to differentiate her from Mr. Fantastic. 

It's this. However, since Kamala does snatch mass from multiverse versions of herself, I don't see the issue with changing the effect to look more MCU multiverse-y.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is that how her powers work? What happens to the other versions when she does that?

Magic.

Actually, looking at the wiki, she borrows the mass from future and past versions of herself. Presumably, she returns it to the exact same moment so the other versions of her don't notice. Eh, in the MCU time travel and multiverse shenanigans are basically the same thing, so I was close enough.

Here it is, but I can't find a cleaner copy online.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-08-at-4.23.54-PM.jpg

After finally watching the first episode, they're keeping the comicbook explanation of her powers. I'm pretty sure when she fell, she was peering into the multiversal vortex she borrows mass from. That said, looks like she'll effectively be more Green Lantern than a more fun Fantastic.

First episode was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to next week.

It’s wild to realize that the MCU has been around for long enough that the star of this show was what, 4 when Iron Man came out? She probably matches her character as someone who grew up obsessed not just with superheroes, but this specific iteration of them. 

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

She probably matches her character as someone who grew up obsessed not just with superheroes, but this specific iteration of them. 

Apparently her friends thought she was The Flash.

nbo0l4sfxz291.jpg?overlay-align=bottom,l
OLD.REDDIT.COM

Posted in r/marvelstudios by u/RollinsThunderr • 38,382 points and 969 comments

nbo0l4sfxz291.jpg?width=864&auto=webp&s=

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the first episode and the Baby Driver texts/animated graffiti happening in the background. I also thought the cast was solid and so was the directing/editing. The power thing I’m still mixed on but we only saw the baby steps of them being used to their full potential. So far it feels like a nice breath of fresh air/take on a Marvel product and look forward to more. Looked great on my projector and that Blinding Lights bass at the beginning on my headphones was intense. Also did anyone else notice the Rent A Bro truck in the end credits?

On 6/15/2022 at 6:09 PM, Brick said:

So she was thirsting for her cousin. Awkward. 

I thought that was just her cover because she couldn’t be seen talking to a boy like that unless it was a family member. And he threw out a common name for an uncle hoping it was correct.

13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I thought that was just her cover because she couldn’t be seen talking to a boy like that unless it was a family member. And he threw out a common name for an uncle hoping it was correct.

Yeah that was fake, but wasn't the woman at the end her aunt, and she said he's her son? So he is in fact actually her cousin. 

I fucking LOVE this show so far. It kicks the dick off of Moon Knight (which is unfortunate, I wanted that show to be good, but it should have just been a movie).

Beyond the story telling, which has been great, and the editing, which has been great, and the music, which has been great... Having a high budget American property that normalizes Muslims in the context of American society is wonderful. They lean a little hard into it sometimes, but I can't imagine the impact this show has on children from immigrant parents who have always kind of felt the need to hide their identity.

That's something I never understood about Black Panther until Chadwick died. Like, the cultural impact that movie had on people who aren't me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t think she is.

Kamala's mom was saying that woman brought shame to her family, and I thought she said the woman was her sister. I thought in the car she said the guy was her son. 

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

Kamala's mom was saying that woman brought shame to her family, and I thought she said the woman was her sister. I thought in the car she said the guy was her son. 

No, the woman who "brought shame" to the family was Kamala's grandmother's sister (Sana's sister Aisha), not Kamala's mom's sister. It's her great aunt, not her aunt. That's why Kamala calls her grandmother Sana in Pakistan, to ask about her older sister. Sana was a baby during Partition and almost got lost and it's clear her older sister Aisha saved her and got the baby on the train in secret with her powers, the stuff that is probably the "shame" of the family. And she clearly has powers and stuff, so I'm doubting Kamran and Kamala are related, I'm sure there is much more to it.