Multiple Sclerosis Is Likely Caused by a Virus, Finds Study of 10 Million Military Personnel

multiple-sclerosis-is-likely-caused-by-a
WWW.TECHNOLOGYNETWORKS.COM

The demyelinating neurodegenerative disease multiple sclerosis (MS) is a complication of infection by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), suggests a new study published in Science by researchers at Harvard Medical School.

TIL that this exists:

Ascherio and his team found that exceptional sample in the records of the Department of Defense Serum Repository (DoDSR). All active US military personnel are required to submit a blood serum sample at the start and then after every two years of service. Primarily designed to detect HIV, the DoDSR has built up to a vast cornucopia of biological data made up of over 62 million serum samples taken from over 10 million individuals

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This has been suspected for a long time, bit still not confirmed. Moderna is preparing an EBV mRNA vaccine, which would be fantastic. It will likely be marketed as a "mono" vaccine, but if it lowers the prevalence of MS then that's even better.

That would be fucking fantastic news if it works. My cousin’s wife has it and has started to get worse recently. The same goes for one of my manager’s wife, but I think she’s a little worse. He’s had to take a few days off here and there on her rougher days at home :(

9 minutes ago, silentbob said:

That would be fucking fantastic news if it works. My cousin’s wife has it and has started to get worse recently. The same goes for one of my manager’s wife, but I think she’s a little worse. He’s had to take a few days off here and there on her rougher days at home :(

Yeah my wife has it. Obviously even better than a vaccine would be new antivirals to target EBV.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This has been suspected for a long time, bit still not confirmed. Moderna is preparing an EBV mRNA vaccine, which would be fantastic. It will likely be marketed as a "mono" vaccine, but if it lowers the prevalence of MS then that's even better.

Talk about one I would line up to get. I had mono a few years ago (from playing flip cup is my guess) and holy shit it was exhausting. I lost 10 lbs in a week and slept 21 hours a day during that time. I could only get water/pedialyte and an occasional Wendy’s frosty down my throat it hurt so bad. 

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Talk about one I would line up to get. I had mono a few years ago (from playing flip cup is my guess) and holy shit it was exhausting. I lost 10 lbs in a week and slept 21 hours a day during that time. I could only get water/pedialyte and an occasional Wendy’s frosty down my throat it hurt so bad. 

That's freshman year shit my man. Not even sophomoric. 

i’ve had mono and it’s horrible. i got it the week of college finals. no idea how i got through that i was a sweaty exhausted mess. then doctor thought it was an infection and prescribed penicillin which gave me a pretty bad rash. went to a different doctor and he was like “oh it’s mono”. 

would not wish mono on anybody 

21 minutes ago, johnny said:

i’ve had mono and it’s horrible. i got it the week of college finals. no idea how i got through that i was a sweaty exhausted mess. then doctor thought it was an infection and prescribed penicillin which gave me a pretty bad rash. went to a different doctor and he was like “oh it’s mono”. 

would not wish mono on anybody 

Lmao same thing happened to me I forgot. Hives all over my body. And the mono test was just a pinprick on my finger so I was angry they didn’t even check that before giving antibiotics