E3 2022 nopes out, 5 months ahead of schedule

Mr.Vic20

• Mr.Vic20 changed the title to E3 2022 nopes out, 5 months ahead of schedule

E3, the biggest annual video game expo in the U.S., canceled its event in June, citing health concerns surrounding Covid-19.

Calling off the conference five months in advance is unusual. CES, the largest consumer electronics show in the U.S., pressed ahead with its event this week in Las Vegas, even as the omicron variant surges.

Before the coronavirus pandemic, the world’s top video game publishers unveiled their slate of new titles at E3 in Los Angeles each summer and gave attendees the first chance to play them. Over the last two years, publishers moved the reveals online.

Last year, E3 staged a digital event in coordination with several publishers. Some heavyweights, including Electronic Arts Inc. and Sony Group Corp., have elected to go their own way and hold online announcements separate from E3. Both of those companies, along with others such as Activision Blizzard Inc., had pulled out of E3 even before the pandemic in a sign of game publishers’ increased lack of reliance on the conference.

The Entertainment Software Association, which organizes the conference, didn’t say whether it will hold an online event this year. Mike Futter, an analyst at F-Squared, said the demise of this year’s show was months in the making and likely driven by a lack of support from game publishers.

I think that TGA added a wrinkle to these online shows that had really only been present at in person shows and that's tech demos. Thanks to The Matrix we can download tech demos straight to our homes and see it running on the hardware we own. Now if companies want to release tech demos and demos of games along with the online presentation there is no need for E3.

I’m a little bummed that E3 is all but dead. It was something to look forward to when we were all younger. 

But in today’s age, this kind of show is unnecessary. Publishers can just make their own presentations and then stream and upload them to the ‘net for everyone to see. At their own leisure, to boot! 

Farewell, E3! :rose:

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They may want to, but I think the industry is done with them. It's prohibitively expensive to have a booth there, and there is no real benefit anymore. 

And then there is SGF and Keighley. He's (rightfully) not gonna step aside and say "Ok, E3, you were here first, you can have your slot back" I think most devs would rather deal with Keighley and his show than the nonsense and red tape involved in dealing with the ESA. 

It might be back, but it's not going to be what it was before.

6 minutes ago, nublood said:

I thought Covid cases were falling so what is this about really? I guess I'm in the minority that enjoys E3 and would love for it to make a comeback.

COVID has absolutely nothing to do with it - this is a purely monetary decision.

It's that publishers have discovered that they don't need to spend a significant amount of money to have an actual physical E3 when a virtual one works just as well, if not better from a purely ROI standpoint.