Where my Puerto Ricans at?

Taking the wife to San Juan next week for a few days to celebrate our anniversary (17 years married!). Literally nothing on the agenda at this point besides disconnecting from the real world for a bit.

Anything we should do/see/eat?

@Ghost_MHaren’t you or your fam from PR?

Simple tips for people visiting with no real plan in mind. Old San Juan is gorgeous, but don't miss out on Vieques even if it's a bit of a trip. Unless global warming has ruined it, you should get a lovely show on the beaches there this time of the year. If you need to chill and want to get away from the bigger crowds on some of the more popular beaches, check out the "not as nice" beaches in eastern Santurce. It's close enough to the night life of San Juan, but far enough away that's it's not normally flooded with tourists. I say that with the caveat of, I never go down to PR this time of the year so maybe it's is flooded with tourists right now. I've just never seen it. It's still a beach in PR with 80F ocean temps you just want to float away in. The food is amazing, so eat everything. Also, if you ever want to get drunk in shitty liquor, Gasolina is my wife's guilty pleasure. Think of them as adult Capri Suns, only with twice the alcohol of a beer. We haven't been in years, but our last time there she made me buy like 10 cases to bring back home since it's nearly impossible to find in the States.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

you sunnova bitch, im in

I have a hard time explaining how much she loved their rum punch, which was basically nothing more than tropical fruit punch Capri Sun with rum. All the warnings that this is not a drink for children on them it's wildly on point, though.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@Ghost_MHheading out in the morning. What is a real signature PR dish I should be absolutely sure to eat while there?

Pasteles. Find a good restaurant and get the full course of arroz con gandules with some pork shoulder along with a nice pasteles. For something you'd be more familiar with. They're most similar to a Mexican tamale, but instead of the it mostly being made of ground corn, it's grated green banana or plantain.

Also, there is a restaurant and a hotel that argue they invented the piña colada. Don't pick sides. That said, the outdoor bar at Barrachina in Old San Juan is quite nice. Then again, I'm more of an small town tourist when I'm on vacation, than huge fancy bar in giant hotel.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Pasteles. Find a good restaurant and get the full course of arroz con gandules with some pork shoulder along with a nice pasteles. For something you'd be more familiar with. They're most similar to a Mexican tamale, but instead of the it mostly being made of ground corn, it's grated green banana or plantain.

Also, there is a restaurant and a hotel that argue they invented the piña colada. Don't pick sides. That said, the outdoor bar at Barrachina in Old San Juan is quite nice. Then again, I'm more of an small town tourist when I'm on vacation, than huge fancy bar in giant hotel.

Thank you, and the wifey and I feel the same! Would much rather hit the smaller places with real local feel. If anything else comes to mind, please add it. We are very minimal planners when we go on vacation and like to kinda feel things out, so we are pretty much open the whole time we are there.

Long night last trying to get various work things done before we headed out, didn’t go to bed until around 5am and then was up at 7am to head to the airport. Got in to San Juan around 4:15 and to the hotel and checked in around 5. Too tired to think much so we went to the steak house at the hotel. It was good, typical of an upscale hotel restaurant. Looking forward to getting some local fare tomorrow.

We went for a little walk on the beach in front of the hotel. A storm was blowing through so the seas were rough and the tide was crashing loudly against the rocks along the beach. I find that sound so mesmerizing ❤️

Going to bed now, completely out of gas now.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

What are you doing with the kids?

My MIL is in town and staying at our house, otherwise they would stay with my parents (who are my neighbors 😊). 

15 hours ago, Joe said:

@sblfilms I demand food pics.

Will do. Sitting on the beach enjoying a lovely afternoon at the moment. Juanita is figuring out dinner plans.

It is weird to kinda be in America and kinda not at the same time.

53 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I hate to break it to you, but America is more Texas in 2021 than it is Mass ;) 

That reminds me - I've spent my life trying to travel and go places, I would find it weirdly ironic if, in my leave Portland for good moment, I moved to Texas of all places, which is where I was born. Like after everything I end up dying 200 miles from where I was born.

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@Ghost_MH @Joe@SuperSpreader

58-F36087-2533-4568-9778-4-F573-E998-B36 2-F385-C69-E44-C-4-A67-BFC4-A1437948-A6-F2

I keep forgetting snag pics, but I did for lunch today and maaaaaaaaan was it good. Got both the pork and beef, and the plantains two ways.

Now I’m laid out on the beach food drunk

I was wondering what to eat for lunch today. I guess I've got my answer. At the very least, I do have some good Puerto Rican restaurants up here in Massachusetts.

26 minutes ago, Joe said:

Fuck that looks so good. I’d have asked for more rice immediately haha. Gotta soak up those juices.

I got more, for exactly that reason.

It’s a perfect 80 degrees and modest humidity today, a little overcast which I like as I got zero melanin from the old man so I burn like the Irish/Scottish mutt I am from my mom’s side.

3100-E221-A31-C-4-D15-A151-FAD8-A713-DCE6 5-EC53-BE3-0-FB0-460-E-874-B-5-BB93-EC22930

Normally about this time on a trip I’m getting the itch to be back home, but I could go for another full day. This is definitely my kinda place.