The new Zelda Game and Watch is much better than the Mario one.

Derek

Three good games (that can be played in English or Chinese), a goofy one and some timed game where you just kill monsters for a set time, instead of just Mario, Mario 1.5 and a goofy one. There's a code for 300 Nintendo platinum points. Also, the box has some origami instructions, in order to make it into a stand. 

One feature that I like on the Mario Game and Watch is that pressing the 'Time' button changes the scene where the time is displayed. I don't think the Zelda one does that. Also, both the Zelda and Mario GaW's lack an alarm clock, which is silly.

I wish it was better Zelda games. The only one I care about on the list is Link's Awakening. Nintendo should've nutted up, paid an extra 12 cents for better hardware (and a few more buttons I guess) and made it a much better proposition by including every major Zelda up to Majora's Mask.

Sure, it'd be less simple but to me they already fucked up majorly by not even having Link to the Past.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I wish it was better Zelda games. The only one I care about on the list is Link's Awakening. Nintendo should've nutted up, paid an extra 12 cents for better hardware (and a few more buttons I guess) and made it a much better proposition by including every major Zelda up to Majora's Mask.

Sure, it'd be less simple but to me they already fucked up majorly by not even having Link to the Past.

It wouldn’t be a Game & Watch then. 

They already got rid of the shitty LCD grayscale screen where each animation is baked into a specific position, they added a d-pad instead of buttons, they added color and a backlight and save states and real sound hardware. They clearly didn't want to make a basic bitch Game and Watch, why not evolve it further instead of slavishly (and half-heartedly at the same time!) keeping to some misguided tradition. Call it "New Game & Watch" as they're so fond of doing and show that they're interested in Game & Watch being a viable and fun product going forward rather than just a throwback here and there.

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

They already got rid of the shitty LCD grayscale screen where each animation is baked into a specific position, they added a d-pad instead of buttons, they added color and a backlight and save states and real sound hardware. They clearly didn't want to make a basic bitch Game and Watch, why not evolve it further instead of slavishly (and half-heartedly at the same time!) keeping to some misguided tradition. Call it "New Game & Watch" as they're so fond of doing and show that they're interested in Game & Watch being a viable and fun product going forward rather than just a throwback here and there.

lmao

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I mean, it’s just at some point you would just get a switch then.

Nintendo's the one choosing to compete with themselves here, I'm just saying if we're gonna do "sell you a bunch of old games on proprietary hardware for $50 over and over" at least give me a wider selection of those old games. A proper collection, if you will. I only stopped at Majora's Mask because anything beyond that would require significantly more expensive hardware that would literally just make it a Switch. Majora's Mask is old enough to drink so it could definitely qualify as part of these silly retro releases.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah I know, the idea that Nintendo would put out a superior product instead of a cloying nostalgia grab for fatasses who never even owned a Game & Watch to begin with in this country is pretty laughable.

You seem to think this product is marketed to you; it is not. 

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

You seem to think this product is marketed to you; it is not. 

lol, "Nintendo doesn't want people like YOU to buy it!"

Yeah the swarms of American fuckin' Game & Watch fans are sending these things flying off the shelf after I casually picked up the Mario one a month ago as dozens sat collecting dust at a random Gamestop.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah the swarms of American fuckin' Game & Watch fans are sending these things flying off the shelf after I casually picked up the Mario one a month ago as dozens sat collecting dust at a random Gamestop.

You fundamentally do not seem to understand what this product is or why it exists. 

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Let’s just be happy that they made enough of the things to not get scalped like every other bit of hardware they make :p

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

You fundamentally do not seem to understand what this product is or why it exists. 

It exists as nostalgia bait but there's no one in this nation who has nostalgia for it because it was not a big product here like the NES or SNES, it is the portable version of that. But "fundamentally" this product exists to make money, which, by my amateur estimation it is clearly failing to do here.

Some rigid design principle stating how it has to be X% similar (but not too similar, lol, because Game & Watches sucked ass and were the basis for all those Tiger Electronics pieces of shit no one wanted) to the original because nostalgia is silly to me. This is why I have always despised the Name Argument. "It's called X! So it has to have X! X is right there in the name!" Who cares? Why is that important?

Oh well, no skin off my back at the end of the day, I'm just saying what I'd like to see to make this product attractive to me, but I'm not the intended audience (besides the Mario one, which I got out of curiosity), the intended audience is apparently dust bunnies and closets.

If only I could mod a tiny thumbstick onto my FunKey S...

YMEDb54.png

I wish they included the GBC remaster of Link’s Awakening, personally. Oracle of Ages & Seasons would be wonderful, too. 

What I want most of all, however, is a G&W Gallery Collection on the next one, if they even do another. Those games are such a blast, and having them all in one place on a perfectly fitting device would be heavenly!

• Shocked 3

30 minutes ago, Kitoro said:

I wish they included the GBC remaster of Link’s Awakening, personally. Oracle of Ages & Seasons would be wonderful, too. 

What I want most of all, however, is a G&W Gallery Collection on the next one, if they even do another. Those games are such a blast, and having them all in one place on a perfectly fitting device would be heavenly!

Hey You Hello GIF by Eivy - Unbored Onboard

On 11/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I haven’t opened either of mine. 

And wooo boy at these complaints. 

I opened one, purchased 2. I just found out you can control Link and battle enemies around the time display. That's cooler than changing the setting, IMO.

I always enjoy Xbob's rants when he's angry about something. :) 

To be fair, it *is* a little odd that they skipped right over A Link To The Past and went straight to Link's Awakening, but whatever. I actually prefer the Game Boy game over the SNES one anyway. And I'm also happy they went with the original release of it too, not the GBC version. There's some strong nostalgia in me for the OG Link's Awakening.