Vive Flow VR Headset $499 (Android Phone required)

Brian

Two things stick out. No strap that goes completely around your head? This looks like it'll suck for folks with glasses. Also, non-replaceable cable bit dangling off the back of the headset? Is this thing wired only? If it isn't, is leaving that dangling bit of cable on the back really the best way to do it?

Gotta see specs, 200 more then the quest 2 without controllers. All the while Facebook will be announcing the quest 2+ with face and eye tracking with upgraded controllers for probably the same price. HTC should of priced low to gain that digital marketshare, then push everyone to high spec'd/priced gear. 

The next real gen/leap for VR is going to be great and long overdue. 

23 hours ago, Stickey said:

Gotta see specs, 200 more then the quest 2 without controllers. All the while Facebook will be announcing the quest 2+ with face and eye tracking with upgraded controllers for probably the same price. HTC should of priced low to gain that digital marketshare, then push everyone to high spec'd/priced gear. 

Eh, it could get renamed Quest but FB has been working on their next leap in VR while Quest1 was being finished.

Yeah, this is not a competitor for anything currently on the market.

Vive-Flow-Lifestyle-Image-3-760x380.png
ARSTECHNICA.COM

An Android phone is required—because it's the controller.

There's no way to connect this to a computer for wired or wireless PC gaming and it sounds like the gaming options on the headset, itself, are pretty limited. This really sounds like it's mostly designed for chat and watching movies.

• Brian changed the title to Vive Flow VR Headset $499 (Android Phone required)
4 hours ago, stepee said:

This is so weird, it’s intentionally gimped and just too expensive for its super casual market it’s going after. The headset design is so good though, great step forward, I’d love a quest or similar device with that design.

What I don't get is that if it absolutely requires a phone, why even include processing on it at all? Just make it a display with all the 6DoF sensors and leave the phone to doing all the processing. Anyone that can afford a $500 VR headset just to watch movies while there's a $300 VR headset that does that and more will very likely have a phone that can handle that sort of VR content.

This thing doesn't even have a built in battery. It looks like you either need to buy a separate battery pack or have it leech power off your phone. This is a wildly confusing device.

I wonder how pandemic compromised this is. I bet they were planning much better chip set. As is for its intended use should have really been an OLED screen and not supporting iOS is totally half assed. It looks cool and I will pick one up if it fails so hard I can get it for under $200 which is about what it's worth compared to the Quest 2.