Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Steam release announced for 06 April 2023

Keyser_Soze

So, the demo and pre-order is up on PS5 BUT after downloading it, the game says "demo no longer available" so either they up loaded the old demo from earlier in the year by mistake, or they have left that same demo up all these months even though you can't use it? Hmmm.... 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So, the demo and pre-order is up on PS5 BUT after downloading it, the game says "demo no longer available" so either they up loaded the old demo from earlier in the year by mistake, or they have left that same demo up all these months even though you can't use it? Hmmm.... 

How about Xbox, does it work correctly? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Seems that the demo will be out "today" but not sure when and where that will be. 

apps.30097.14026431690203300.8b485a4f-d7
WWW.MICROSOFT.COM

This is the free trial of STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN. A survey accompanies the trial version, so please take the time to give us your honest opinions about your experience. Your feedback will be taken into consideration as we continue to develop the game. ■Trial Period October 1, 11:00 am – October 11, 02:59 pm (UTC) ■Survey Period October 1, 11:00 am – October 18, 02:59 pm (UTC) *This trial version...

Despite me not being all that into the story so far, I’m extremely stoked to jump back in for more Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin. My only real concern so far is that the sheer amount of loot that drops leads to a lot of downtime going into menus and constantly adjusting gear, an issue that Nioh fans will be all too familiar with. You can take it for a test drive yourself right now with the free demo, available on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. Then we’ll just have to wait and see how the full game turns out when Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin releases sometime in 2022.

stranger_of_paradise_ff_origin_1.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

We take a look at a new demo of the latest Final Fantasy spin-off, showcasing feedback-driven changes and new additions.

Part of that fun is in the dumb over-the-top campiness that the game was heavily memed for when it was announced. You know - I’m here to kill Chaos, all that stuff. More of that continues here. When new party member Neon pours her heart out in a classic anime here’s-my-motivation monologue, protagonist Jack just looks her dead in the face and decrees “Bullshit” before proceeding to whip out his phone to override the conversation by blasting his music out loud. As truly awful sounding rap metal reverberates around the hallowed halls of the Chaos Shrine, a truly iconic Final Fantasy location, it’s made clear that this game is different. I find myself laughing, but I don't think I’m laughing at it. I think FF Origin might actually be in on the joke. Or at least I hope it is.

And so too this continues. You think nothing of it as this game’s Warriors of Light awkwardly fist bump, and as their budding fedora-clad leader yells “Seeya!” at some transcendent magical being as he rips it to pieces. It’s trash! Glorious trash, of the very best kind. Previously I said the game has a tone problem - but expectations adjusted, it’s slowly winning me over. I’m embracing the schlock. And I just might end up loving it.

Gaudy and garish, Stranger of Paradise is everything I want from a Final Fantasy spin-off (Eurogamer)

Outside of battle - which is honestly best experienced for yourself, and if you've the slightest interest I'd encourage you to sample the recent demo - there's a fairly unimaginative but gentle going action game, the exploration of the Refrin Wetlands interspersed with light puzzling as you switch orbs to control the weather, the rainmaking branches extend and retract to open up new pathways.

It's gently reminiscent of past Final Fantasy dungeons, but delivered in Strangers in Paradise's own unique style. Whether you find that grating or not is going to be a matter of taste, but personally speaking I'm keen on the knowing trashiness of it all - a far cry from some of the more solemn entries, and a tone befitting of the scruffy, satisfying combat it showcases. This leans into parts of the series that tickle me just as much as all that grandeur and splendour of the mainline entries, and I'm totally there for it. I'm eyeing that March release date that's just been announced with some interest.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin [March 18, 2022] - hands-on previews posted
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Jacking in - Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin remains something of an enigma. We've known about the action RPG f...

SOPFFO_January_Key_Art.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

"The record shows I took the blows and did it my way."

siliconera-logo-blacktext.jpg
WWW.SILICONERA.COM

Director Daisuke Inoue and Producer Jin Fujiwara spoke about the Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin jobs, characters, and influences.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin [March 18, 2022] - "Final" trailer and developer interviews
  • 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Mar 18, 2022)
  • PC (Mar 18, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 18, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Mar 18, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 18, 2022)

Developers: Team Ninja, KOEI TECMO GAMES

Publisher: Square Enix

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 73 average - 56% recommended

Critic Reviews

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Delivering a cohesive game with addictive gameplay and mechanics, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin brings back classic characters in an honorable way. It is a good choice for fans of the franchise and lovers of the genre.

RPG Fan - 87%

I expected Stranger of Paradise to be a game I had lots of qualms in recommending, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. I want everyone to fall as deeply in love with it as I have.

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

Underneath cringeworthy writing and a nonsensical story, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin leverages storied Final Fantasy fanservice with a fast and deep combat system to offer up fans a celebration of the franchise like no other. While the presentation is inconsistent and the equipment system sorely lacks focus, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is great fun from beginning to end.

WayTooManyGames - 8.5 / 10

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin might be as dumb as Limp Bizkit’s lyrics, but damn if it isn’t as fun as Wes Borland’s riffs.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8.3 / 10

Final Fantasy: Origins is an orthodox Final Fantasy series game with a benevolent king shell.

Fextralife - 8 / 10

Stranger of Paradise was a game that many of us were unsure of when it was initially revealed in E3 2021. However, Team Ninja proved to be capable in terms of interweaving the good parts that made Final Fantasy and the Soulslike genre well-known and loved by many. Not only is the combat the heart and soul of this satisfying Action RPG but it also evokes the right amount of nostalgia and familiarity to fans who have been wanting to experience Final Fantasy in another light, making it a must-play game in 2022!

Wccftech - 8.2 / 10

Final Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Paradise is a chaotic alternative retelling of the very first Final Fantasy, following story beat by beat until it transforms into something unique in its own way.

33bits - Spanish - 80 / 100

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is a remarkable game with an excellent combat system that serves to cover up some of the shortcomings in the title. Who knows what he is going to, I doubt he will end up disappointed. Of course, the game could have been much more.

Atomix - Spanish - 80 / 100

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin does a fantastic job on the gameplay department, but fails at almost everything else. The combat is fun, and the class system gives the player an immense amount of freedom to play however they want, but the lackluster graphics and pretty straightforward levels certainly ruin some of its most epic moments.

Bazimag - Persian - 8 / 10

From pure gameplay standpoint, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is one of the best action/rpgs ever which gives the players so many options to experiment with almost infinite number of builds and possibilities. Plot-wise and the use of music also feels like a love letter to not only the first Final Fantasy but the whole history of this franchise so it is very unfortunate that the game’s outdated visuals may turn off some of the audience from even trying it.

Daily Mirror - 4 / 5

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is basically the best of both worlds with the combination of Square Enix’s RPG elements merging with Team Ninja’s fighting mechanics to create a whole new experience for the series. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is still very much a Final Fantasy game, but it's great to see Square Enix take a risk with this title which has been fantastically executed.

GameGrin - 8 / 10

Certainly a title for Final Fantasy fans to dive into, even if it's just to experience the story and read up on the lore, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin has something for many gamers to enjoy.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

Take its unfortunate performance issues in your stride – which will hopefully be ironed out by Team Ninja post-launch – and you’ll have a hell of a lot of fun with Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin. Its story may be ridiculous and not particularly easy to follow, but you’ll enjoy trying. And besides, the real draw here is the combat, which is not only highly entertaining but so, so deep thanks to the brilliant job system. This is a new type of Final Fantasy game, one that puts action at the front and centre, and it’s a blast from beginning to end.

GamesBeat - 4 / 5

It’s far from the best Final Fantasy game. It certainly isn’t the best action game. But it’s still a fast-paced and enjoyable playthrough.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is a decent action RPG, but it's occasionally weighed down by unnecessary mechanics and inconsistent difficulty.

IGN - 8 / 10

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin's story doesn't come together until the final hours, but when it does it pairs nicely with a solid and engaging action combat system and a strong dose of FF nostalgia.

Inverse - 8 / 10

Self-aware humor permeates throughout 'Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin, 'and by and large, it works really, really well. Any fears I had about 'Stranger of Paradise' were dispelled after a dozen or so hours with its phenomenal combat system, strange but genuine story, and a surprising commitment to celebrating everything Final Fantasy — all through the eyes of an angry edgelord named Jack.

PowerUp! - 8 / 10

Push through the desire to cringe in its face and Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin delights with gauche earnestness and one of the most rewarding action combat loops on the market.

RPG Site - 8 / 10

Chaos, amnesia, and crystals are waiting for you in this prequel to the first Final Fantasy, exploring the mysterious history of the franchise's first boss, Garland!

Screen Rant - 4 / 5

True to its name, Stranger of Paradise is a bizarre game. The combat is so much fun that it carries the rest of the disjointed process to the finish line. Those looking for an easier Soulslike experience with a lot of Final Fantasy fanservice will find a lot to love in Stranger of Paradise, as will those who found Elden Ring unnecessarily punishing. Stranger of Paradise is a lot of fun, so long as the player takes on Jack's mindset, and only focuses on killing Chaos and doesn't think too hard about anything else.

Sirus Gaming - 8 / 10

Team Ninja nails the gameplay. Killing classic Final Fantasy monsters has never been more fun than it is as Jack Garland. If you can dive into Stranger of Paradise knowing that you’re in for a chaotic mess with a solid gameplay foundation, you’re in for a good time.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8 / 10

Narratively speaking, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin would be a badly written JRPG, but luckily Square Enix and Koei Tecmo's latest game is more than anything a very engaging action game that is very faithful to its source. Not perfect by any means but still enjoyable, the Nioh "soulslike" formula applied to the epic of Final Fantasy gives flesh to an interesting action game with a suprisingly deep learning curve and accessibility options that welcome any kind of player to the party.

TheGamer - 4 / 5

Stranger of Paradise is violent, dark, and brilliantly captivating. It’s a must-play for Final Fantasy fans. Steeped in sentiment and lovingly crafted homages to our favourite games, it offers a new mystery to unravel and breaks the mould of what you’d expect from the series. You might miss having a wide world to explore, proper side quests, and all the usual trimmings, but there’s a lot to love about Stranger of Paradise that you won’t find in your back catalogue of FF games.

Tom's Guide - 4 / 5

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is an incredibly fun game, filled with bombastic combat, which also expands on the existing lore of the original Final Fantasy.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

Stranger of Paradise is a peanut butter and chocolate combination of Final Fantasy XV and Nioh. The beauty of it is that you don’t even have to be a fan of Final Fantasy I to enjoy Stranger of Paradise. The story explains everything you need to know and anything you bring into it from previous knowledge is just extra. The combat is just spicy enough that you can feel like a powerhouse, but lets the players somewhat tweak the difficulty to their own desires if they’d rather face a tougher challenge. If this is the way that Square Enix will be remaking the early Final Fantasy games I am entirely in. This iteration takes modernization to the best possible level.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins is a strange, ridiculous, and largely delightful game. You have to accept a game that is almost painfully free of irony and self-awareness, but if you do, you'll find one of the most enjoyable spin-offs to carry the Final Fantasy name. The combat is fast, frantic, and fun, and the customization options are through the roof. The only thing that holds it back is if players enjoy the story in the same campy way as Resident Evil 4 or only find it to be frustratingly unfun.

INVEN - Korean - 78 / 100

"Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin" is the first action RPG in the Final Fantasy series which aims for an action with great difficulty. While the attempt looked good, the results were utterly disgraceful. The game is covered with excessive lighting effects, half-hearted storylines and failed to motivate players to grow their skills. Sadly, 'action' became the only good merit of this game.

GamePro - German - 75 / 100

Trashy Final Fantasy spinoff with a boring story, but one that scores with an ingenious combat system and online co-op.

Infinite Start - 7.5 / 10

All things considered, Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is a good spin-off. It feels different enough to stand out, without it being so different to throw fans off. Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite check every box. Combat could be a little better, gameplay a bit deeper, story a little less goofy and so forth but it’s a good first attempt. One that is worth giving a go if you enjoy either experience.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7.5 / 10

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is a wacky game that will end up being a cult classic. The devs were not afraid to march to the beat of their own drum, and the result is the type of slightly messy, unique AA game that we used to get in the late 2000s and early 2010s. It’s goofy, flawed, and fabulous, and I hope Square Enix continues to lean into publishing more experimental titles like this.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.2 / 10

on like classes and monsters. Is a step backward due to an unispired level desing and a shallow story.

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5

Final Fantasy Origin will enthrall players with its dumb, but awesome story and approachable Soulslike gameplay.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7 / 10

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is a partially successful experiment. The deficient script and the anachronistic technical sector, without forgetting a listless artistic direction, are in this case counterbalanced by a layered combat system and largely borrowed from Nioh.

Game Informer - 7 / 10

Stranger of Paradise is the strangest Final Fantasy game yet, bounding wildly between awful and fantastic. If you can tolerate Jack (and that’s a big ask), the excellently crafted combat is worth a look. You may be coming to this game for the story and Final Fantasy experience, but it’s all about combat and little else.

Game Rant - 3.5 / 5

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin seems to prove that the Final Fantasy franchise can thrive in the action game scene with this first franchise venture from Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo. The title isn't a true home run, but it is an exciting adventure that expands the franchise lore in a unique direction. The Final Fantasy Job system is as interesting and exciting as ever and adds a unique twist on the action game format as players grind through each challenging dungeon and fill in all the Job talent trees one by one.

GameByte - 7 / 10

When paired with the “so bad, it’s good” story and dialogue, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is a good time for the partly the wrong reasons. Critically, it’s not great. You’ve still got a car crash of a game on your hands. But, it’s a car crash you can’t look away from. In the meantime, the combat and job system is a rollercoaster ride which takes you right past it, being a wild ride in its own right.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

There's a lot of meme potential in Stranger of Paradise thanks to its willingness to be aggressively confusing, but fun, varied combat carries its most WTF moments forward.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is an action-oriented RPG whose gameplay mechanics are almost entirely based on those of Nioh, one of the most prominent Dark Souls clones. The game is a bit outdated in its layout and it seems to come from another age.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins re-imagines the earliest Final Fantasy in a manner befitting of a popcorn action film and for the most part succeeds.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 70 / 100

‎We are not sure if she will be remembered as a complete disaster or as a hooligan with a lot of personality. What we do have clear is that Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins is pure and absolute chaos.‎

Impulsegamer - 3.5 / 5

Will Final Fantasy diehards get a kick out of Stranger of Paradise? It's hard to say. There are multiple enjoyable nods to past games throughout the levels, enemies and pieces of lore. The soundtrack is excellent, featuring remixed or remastered themes of multiple games. The combat is fast paced and the extensive job system takes the Final Fantasy system of old and thoroughly modernises it. Yet the game is decidedly un-Final Fantasy. Exploration is minimal, the story takes far too long to get going, the dialogue is often laughable and the characters are mostly bland blank slates. As an over the top action cheese-fest, the game puts points on the board. Just don't expect it to compete with the greatest hits.

LevelUp - Spanish - 7 / 10

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin will go down in history for being memorable for better and for worse. Many of its sections are a mess, but if you can get past its flaws and learn to enjoy them you'll find a game that will entertain you immensely. Especially if you love action RPGs with rewarding combat and progression systems.

NoobFeed - 70 / 100

All leading to an ending that long-time fans will appreciate but newcomers will leave confused. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is a mixed bag of highs and lows that collide together for an average adventure.

Siliconera - 7 / 10

Underneath all of these issues, it is a great game with a lot of heart. But it is unfortunately held back by lackluster presentation of what could be an interesting story and the accumulation of the general lack of quality of life issues.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Stranger of Paradise is one of "those" games - a scuffed diamond that's a joy to play, yet has unmissable imperfections. However, while annoying, a poor story and bland visuals don't diminish its punchy RPG action, nor its rewarding web of character customisation options. Needless to say, we're pretty eager to see how Stranger is received by the Final Fantasy fandom.

PlayStation Universe - 6.5 / 10

Stranger of Paradise is the perfect example of gameplay towering above the sum of its parts. I loved the combat and job system, which allows for dynamic battles and strategy. It's just a shame that the rest of the game feels low budget and unfinished. If you're looking for an origin story to the original Final Fantasy, you'll get it here, but chances are you may want to forget it as soon as you're done.

Stevivor - 6.5 / 10

Overall, I would say that you should play Stranger of Paradise for its combat and not its story. While there are nuggets available for series fans, this isn’t the pinnacle of storytelling by any means. It’s best to dive into the gore rather than the lore; fight for fun, be like Jack and focus on the Chaos. Certainly don’t expect this to be a brilliant subversion of the original Final Fantasy’s narrative.

IGN Italy - Italian - 6.2 / 10

An action RPG with several technical and structural problems, fun at times but too immature to achieve the objectives it sets itself.

Daily Star - 3 / 5

There’s not much by the way of emotional connection to this game. It’s old-fashioned, cliched in its storytelling and I found myself constantly hitting the skip button to get to the actual fighting.

JVL - French - 12 / 20

We expected nothing and we are still disappointed. With a studio with a rather nice track record and such a strong license, full of opportunities, how is it possible to have such a classic game, not surprising, with a messy history and simply outdated?

Kakuchopurei - 60 / 100

You could do worse than with Square Enix's brave new venture into Soulslike territory that's roughly 20 hours or less depending on your skill level. I personally would love to see Team Ninja continue on with this take on Final Fantasy, but with better level design and a less banal plot thread that's a bit more accessible to non-fans.

Metro GameCentral - 6 / 10

Enjoyable Souls-lite combat can't make up for the tedious loot system and laughably bad storytelling, in this misconceived Final Fantasy spin-off.

Push Square - 6 / 10

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin thinks that it's Daniel Craig's James Bond but it's actually Austin Powers. There's barely a moment in the game that isn't stretching credulity, be it the absurd writing, bewildering story, or inane characters. There's a host of technical issues, too. But somehow, despite everything, it manages to fail upwards and be a pretty good time. Maybe we've lost the plot but we liked it.

VG247 - 3 / 5

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is a B-movie game. It’s loud, dumb, and full of fun. You have to ignore a lot – a lot – of issues if you want to extract the joy from its chaotic heart, but once you commit, toy around with the weapons, penetrate its poorly-explained mechanics and forgive Jack for his one-dimensional personality, you’re left with a game that’s part Devil May Cry, part Nioh, and part Face/Off. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to play that?

GamesRadar+ - 2.5 / 5

There's a half-decent time to be had bashing your way around Stranger of Paradise's dungeons, but routine level design, rough edges and messy narrative delivery stop the experience evolving into a compelling adventure. Despite its efforts to create ordered systems, chaos has the final word.

Windows Central - 2.5 / 5

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin isn't the strongest outing from Team Ninja, but players will likely enjoy the compelling job system and engaging combat... when performance issues aren't hampering them, that is.

ACG - Wait for Sale

Video Review - Quote not available

Eurogamer - No Recommendation

Baffling writing aside, default story difficulty makes this the breeziest Soulslike ever, while combat still carries depth.

Polygon - Unscored

I didn’t expect to enjoy smashing the heads of monsters like this. I also didn’t expect to enjoy a story about a hyper-masculine man like Jack. But what I’ve come to learn in my time with Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is that Jack isn’t a knight in shining armor. He’s better.

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

Im most certainly going to buy this when it's on sale (I expect soon), but theres no way ill be playing it soon. I get back to Elden Ring next Saturday. I'm also playing Triangle Strategy, I bought GT7 last night while the wife and I were shopping with her mom, and I still have Total War Warhammer 3 waiting on me. 

If we get BotW2, GoW:R, Lego Star Wars, Starfield, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Hogwarts Legacy, and possibly Final Fantasy 16, it might make 2022 the best year in gaming ever. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin [March 18, 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Steam release announced for 06 April 2023
3 hours ago, Bacon said:

If I ever play this it will have to be taken from the high seas because I'll never give money to anything made by Nomura 

But Nomura didn't make it. In fact, I don't think he had anything to do with it at all. Daisuke Inoue directed it with two Team Ninja guys.