Guillermo del Toro’s ‘Nightmare Alley’ - Official Trailer

SimpleG

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Guillermo del Toro’s ‘Nightmare Alley’ - Official Trailer
  • 1 month later...

This is a weird movie that, on my first impression, I think is bad. I don’t know if it’s just that my expectations were off because I only saw the first teaser, and so I was expecting more carnival. That was what I enjoyed the most, when the story moved beyond that I got a lot less interested, and there was still a lot of movie left. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 10:38 AM, TheLeon said:

This is a weird movie that, on my first impression, I think is bad. I don’t know if it’s just that my expectations were off because I only saw the first teaser, and so I was expecting more carnival. That was what I enjoyed the most, when the story moved beyond that I got a lot less interested, and there was still a lot of movie left. 

I felt bad because I was so tired when I watched the movie, so I was in-and-out starting maybe 30 - 40 minutes into the movie to around 25 minutes prior, but I looked up its story and then saw pieces of the original.

The scenes in this one were significantly more chilling. I was up straight through once 

Spoiler

the judge's wife shot him and herself,

and looking at how the original played out, this was the better-directed film, it seems. 

I think the original's issue was that 

Spoiler

the woman came back to the guy. Here, he becomes the geek that he couldn't understand at the beginning of the movie, falling for the same drink ploy, and they have him on a train (of course), hiding behind chicken cages, an omen of things to come, and Rooney's character smacks him down and decides to leave him because he literally, actually deserves that. But that "ghost" reveal that backfired at the end? Look up the full original movie on Youtube and compare it to this one; it's such a splendidly haunting scene in the new one.

I was also very impressed with the psychiatrist's scene at the end. What a lovely scene overall that Cate Blanchett commanded, giving him the speech he needed to hear -- you're not the genius you think you are.

It's a slow movie at the start, though. Quite slow indeed, but the whole, "Don't do a spook show. Bad things happen," is done so much better in this one due to how the main character's arc ends.