God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

39 minutes ago, best3444 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's pretty damn disappointing to read. :(

I mean, its not bad at all, and there's reason for it later, if its the areA im thinking.

• Thanks 1

I can't get over how much I've loved this story (counting both games as the story), and the way a personal journey  of the first flows into the grand adventure of the second so well. 

Atreus was an incredible character. The allies made along the way were incredible.

I would have done two things differently with the ending. 

Spoiler

1. Allow the player to fight Odin as thor after Kratos battle with him, then let odin kill Thor, and go to the final Odin battle underground where they finish him.

2. It feels like we didn't sacrifice enough considering the battle they fought. I think I would have taken out some Valkyrie. Freyr and Thor didn't feel like enough.

Also, I was shocked they didn't put the mask on Mimir and shove him into Mimir's Well (the tear Odin was obsessed with is known ln as Mimir's Well in the mythology), possibly sacrificing him inside of it. I didn't expect that thread closed so easily. 

Also, Sif... Goddamn. 

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

well that feels like a spoiler

yeahhhhh idk if it is or not but that jumped out here too :/

unfortunately can’t correct it now without answering one way or the other so I’ll just assume it was just referring to was as in during the time spent playing!

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I don't know how. Im done the game. It's all "was".

I have strong doubts of your intent and that your wording implies he is otherwise out of commission for what, if anything, comes next in the GoW series. Not that you are intentionally spoiling, but that you suck at being vague and think people can't read between the lines. But hey, I could be wrong. I'll sorry in the future if I am.

Man, I am like hard stuck at level 4. Prolly because I am doing side stuff which doesn't grant the majority of your weapon upgrades. I can upgrade a chest piece or both an arm and a leg, but that wouldn't put me at level 5 either. I only bring it up now cuz I've hit my first purple hp bar enemies and I'm too lazy to fight them until they are downgraded to at least orange.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I haven't picked up Elden Ring because I'm not enticed by difficulty and expect I would be frustrated by the combat experience. Is there a difficulty setting or some specific fights in GoW that might be a good analog for the general combat in Elden Ring, or are they too different for a comparison to be useful?

As someone who's only seen someone play on the hardest difficulty of GoW I would say by that metric Elden Ring is easier. In Elden Ring the more progress you make the easier the combat becomes. Depending on how you built your character there are tons of possibilities to take on a fight. In GOW there is a set way the battle is, enemies always hit you from off screen and you can take like 3 shots max (on the hardest difficulty)

That being said combat isn't a focus of Elden Ring exploration is, there are just fights along the way. I actually just started playing it again yesterday and was reminded how awesome it is, just the scale and denseness of the environments is mindblowing.

Man, I omega teared up

Spoiler
Spoiler

when I got the spear.

Spoiler

Kratos was perfect. More kind than I could ever have imagined towards Brok. Still sad that his lady couldn't see him. That is the only thing I want to see happen by the end of the game. I hope Brok's blessing somehow comes into play, but it is fine if it was just for Brok to realize he is still Brok.

That scene had to be the first moment in both games that really tug on my heartstrings.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

How many hours?

No spoilers beyond how long I played before beating main story:

Spoiler

46 hours, but I did almost every side-mission that I could along the way. I also put the console in rest mode a few times between playing so I don’t know if that messes with the time played since the game was essentially left open.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

I have strong doubts of your intent and that your wording implies he is otherwise out of commission for what, if anything, comes next in the GoW series. Not that you are intentionally spoiling, but that you suck at being vague and think people can't read between the lines. But hey, I could be wrong. I'll sorry in the future if I am.

Nah, just past tense wording. Kratos was great too, I just pointed out Atreus because he has changed so much since the first game. Like, I seriously found him annoying a bit in the first. So much so that I thought they had changed his voice actor when I heard him (they didn't).

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

No spoilers beyond how long I played before beating main story:

Hide contents

46 hours, but I did almost every side-mission that I could along the way. I also put the console in rest mode a few times between playing so I don’t know if that messes with the time played since the game was essentially left open.

Did you do 

Spoiler

Post game too? Like the Asgardian leftovers and Gna, or was that your time to the ending? 

Also, how upset will Bacon be when he finds out about Brok? 

9 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Did you do 

Hide contents

Post game too? Like the Asgardian leftovers and Gna, or was that your time to the ending? 

Also, how upset will Bacon be when he finds out about Brok? 

Spoiler

Ending + last berserker & the king, and Brok’s funeral. Bacon is gonna weep like soggy bacon in a pan trying to release its grease.

I’m going to try and finish the crater and the remnants of Asgard today /tomorrow.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:
  Hide contents

Ending + last berserker & the king, and Brok’s funeral. Bacon is gonna weep like soggy bacon in a pan trying to release its grease.

I’m going to try and finish the crater and the remnants of Asgard today /tomorrow.

Spoiler

Same. I did a few Asgardian camps, but I need to finish. Also need to beat the Valkyrie, and maybe kill all the ravens so I can kill that final boss and get thr chests.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Nah, just past tense wording. Kratos was great too, I just pointed out Atreus because he has changed so much since the first game. Like, I seriously found him annoying a bit in the first. So much so that I thought they had changed his voice actor when I heard him (they didn't).

Exactly how I feel. Atreus was annoying in 2018 but in this, he is one of the best characters I've seen in a game lol.

44 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I can’t wait to see the whole story but I know I’ll sell myself short if I rush. Plus the game is fun to explore; God of War really nails exploration.

I hope y’all still give a shit about what I have to say whenever I finish this. :p 

I never give a shit about what you have to say so I should be good. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

PSA: careful googling post-game content, I got a pretty big spoiler just for searching for things to do. Some douche bag guide website literally says what the end result of one of the things is straight away in the list. Like… F.

Thanks for the warning.

Played 3 hours and finished all my side quests. Still have a ways to go in the story.

My one complaint in this game is the damn compass and trying to follow where a quest is. It is really confusing in where to go because the quest on the compass moves all around it is very difficult sometimes knowing where to go. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Played 3 hours and finished all my side quests. Still have a ways to go in the story.

My one complaint in this game is the damn compass and trying to follow where a quest is. It is really confusing in where to go because the quest on the compass moves all around it is very difficult sometimes knowing where to go. 

Quit focusing on it and just explore

54 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Quit focusing on it and just explore

It's not THAT bad but I was trying to find some clues on the map and there was like 5 blue icons on my compass all moving in erratic motions. I was getting fuckin confused. 😆 

I eventually found everything but yes, it's a flaw in the game. 

I played more of the story and beat 

Spoiler

Heimdall. It was a confusing fight at first but once I figured it out he wasn't too difficult at all. 

@BloodyHell In my spoilers, how close am I to beating this?

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's not THAT bad but I was trying to find some clues on the map and there was like 5 blue icons on my compass all moving in erratic motions. I was getting fuckin confused. 😆 

I eventually found everything but yes, it's a flaw in the game. 

I played more of the story and beat 

Reveal hidden contents

Heimdall. It was a confusing fight at first but once I figured it out he wasn't too difficult at all. 

@BloodyHell In my spoilers, how close am I to beating this?

I’d guess you’re 2/3 through. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Can I mention the graphics. They are fantastic. Even when I chose performance mode the game just looks beautiful. 

I'm using performance mode too and the game has some of the best visuals to date. Each time I boot it up I'm amazed. 

• True 1

Please only answer yes or no to this spoiler.

Spoiler

Boy is back, and Freya is out for now. I prefer Freya's Bifrost abilities over Atreus' non-bifrost having ways. So my question is, without you going into detail, will Freya return as a companion before post-game? And I don't mean in some 2-bit way like how Brok or Sindri joined. What I really want in Freya for the Berserker fights.

Best funny moment in the game so far

Spoiler

Optional Boss fight that kicked my ass for way to long and I still sucked when I beat it. My only excuse it just that I really wasn't in the mood to fight this when I had just fought one a bit ago in the same zone.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Please only answer yes or no to this spoiler.

Spoiler
  Hide contents

Boy is back, and Freya is out for now. I prefer Freya's Bifrost abilities over Atreus' non-bifrost having ways. So my question is, without you going into detail, will Freya return as a companion before post-game? And I don't mean in some 2-bit way like how Brok or Sindri joined. What I really want in Freya for the Berserker fights.

Where are you now?