"Master & Commander" prequel in development at Fox

I consider "Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World" to be one of the most masculine films of all time and it's easily in my Top 10 favorite films ever.  Naturally, I'm somewhat dismayed that  Russell Crowe will not be reprising his role as Jack Aubrey, but I fully realize that his time for that role is long in the past.

Patrick-Ness.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

20th Century is looking to develop a new Master and Commander pic with A Monster Calls scribe Patrick Ness adapting the script.

• Like 1

Peter Weir is 76, but if they brought him back to direct that would be awesome. Master and commander was a fucking masterpiece. It had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Return of the King, otherwise it would have won like all the awards.

• Like 1

The way the movie portrays the two leads is incredible. They are frequently at odds, yet unquestionably loyal to each other. They both learn to bend their instincts for each other and it's just the best bromance I've ever seen on a ship. I have friends in the navy, I'm allowed to say that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I avoided Master and Commander for a long time, because it always seemed like a classic “dad” movie, like some real boring History Channel shit. But when I finally watched a year or two ago, I was entranced. The ships! The sea! The men! 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I avoided Master and Commander for a long time, because it always seemed like a classic “dad” movie, like some real boring History Channel shit. But when I finally watched a year or two ago, I was entranced. The ships! The sea! The men! 

It is the ultimate dad movie. And you know what? Dad movies rock! Hunt for Red October is another quintessential dad movie that slaps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

The bromance! Man being manly men on a manly man ship!

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

You absolutely should. I think it's on HBO right now unless you want to sail the high seas for it.

Just finished it. Very good and not at all what I was expecting. I love the fact there is virtually no build up to the story, it just drops you in the middle and says " here you go,enjoy". Sometimes you dont need a 20 min section telling you why the good guy is the good guy and why the bad guy is the bad guy.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is one of the finest films ever made, and I get emotional every time I watch it. It is beautiful yet simple, elegant yet masculine. It is emotional, but there is logic and strategy at work. It is an almost perfect film if there is such a thing for what it's trying to do. That film is, indeed, both master and fucking commander.

I'll take any Master and Commander I can get, but no Peter Weir, no Russell Crowe, and no Paul Bettany makes me far less interested. I'm still supportive of the project and want it to happen, but it'll take a lot to emulate what the first film did without those three. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Just finished it. Very good and not at all what I was expecting. I love the fact there is virtually no build up to the story, it just drops you in the middle and says " here you go,enjoy". Sometimes you dont need a 20 min section telling you why the good guy is the good guy and why the bad guy is the bad guy.

I've never really thought if it like that before, but you're absolutely right!

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is one of the finest films ever made, and I get emotional every time I watch it. It is beautiful yet simple, elegant yet masculine. It is emotional, but there is logic and strategy at work. It is an almost perfect film if there is such a thing for what it's trying to do. That film is, indeed, both master and fucking commander.

I'll take any Master and Commander I can get, but no Peter Weird, no Russell Crowe, and no Paul Bettany makes me far less interested. I'm still supportive of the project and want it to happen, but it'll take a lot to emulate what the first film did without those three. 

It's probably Russell Crowe's best performance. It's a shame they didn't try to do this earlier. Peter Weir is 76 years old, so him doing it probably isn't realistic. Paul Bettany hasn't visibly aged in the last 20 years, so he could probably still be in it if they wanted.

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's probably Russell Crowe's best performance. It's a shame they didn't try to do this earlier. Peter Weir is 76 years old, so him doing it probably isn't realistic. Paul Bettany hasn't visibly aged in the last 20 years, so he could probably still be in it if they wanted.

If Russell Crowe got his shit together he could do it. And he loves Master & Commander, so he would if a sequel came. Peter Weir is old, and he hasn't done a film in 11 years since The Way Back in 2010 (which was good, he still had it!) but he'd come back I imagine for a direct sequel. It's at least theoretically possible so let's fucking go. :p 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Russell Crowe has gotten so fat now he looks more like John Goodman than John Goodman looks like John Goodman. 

I bet if they came at him to play Jack Aubrey again and were like "you have to quit drinking for a year and start working out every day and oh by the way you're almost guaranteed an oscar" he'd slim down pretty quick