Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (14 May 2024) - Russia launches new invasion from the north into Kharkiv, soon to launch second corridor into Sumy. Situation is dire

10 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

So if this doesn't kick off tomorrow or Thursday safe to assume he's taken the off ramp?

I think this can drag on a few more days. Off ramp would mean we'd see units pulling back and relocating to their bases inside Russia. They're all still there at/near the border. 

18 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I think this can drag on a few more days. Off ramp would mean we'd see units pulling back and relocating to their bases inside Russia. They're all still there at/near the border. 

Yeah, I'd agree. Obviously there is a point where Putin can't maintain 190,000+ troops sitting out in fields, for multiple reasons (morale, money, etc), but I think he probably can get away with a few weeks. While I still think a major offensive is likely, there have been some good analyses around how Putin hasn't gotten the reaction he wanted (a more fractured West), and a full invasion might not be maintainable for Russia. The days of Russia/USSR being able to effectively invade and occupy even all of eastern Europe are long gone, I think. Even maintaining control over all of Ukraine would strain Russia, I believe.

Right. And that's why I think he might bank on NATO not coming to the defense of Ukraine in an actual invasion scenario. While larger in scale, I think this winds up being a "Georgia Plus" situation. By that I mean an assault to degrade Ukraine's military capabilities through strategic strikes and assaults, an armored push to drive the Ukrainian military out of the Donbas, and the Plus part being an airborne operation backed by another armored push into Kyiv in order to secure regime change and oust Zelensky. 

All of that sounds like a nightmare for the Russians. May the ghost of Nestor Makhno guide the Ukrainians. 

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Having just learned about Nestor Makhno from Revolutions I gotta say I like him.

Damn:

Makhno and the movement's leadership were anarcho-communists and attempted to guide the movement along these ideological lines. Makhno was aggressively opposed to all factions that sought to impose their authority over southern Ukraine, battling in succession the forces of the Ukrainian National Republic, the Central Powers of Germany and Austro-Hungary, the Hetmanate state, the White Army, the Bolshevik Red Army, and other smaller forces led by various Ukrainian atamans. He is also credited as the inventor of the tachanka—a horse-drawn carriage with a mounted heavy machine gun.

1921._%D0%9D%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

For more Nestor Makhno info, check out the 2-part Christmas episode on him that Behind the Bastards did. (Christmas is when they do a non-bastard for a change).

WWW.IHEART.COM

<p>Robert is joined by Jamie Loftus to discuss Nestor Makhno, our 2020 holiday non-bastard episode</p><p>FOOTNOTES:</p><p>1. <a href='https://www.theyliewedie.org/ressources/biblio/en/Collective_-_The_Personal_Side_of_Nestor_Makhno.html'>https://www.theyliewedie.org/ressources/biblio/en/Collective_-_The_Personal_Side_of_Nestor_Makhno.html</a></p><p>2.<a...

WWW.IHEART.COM

<p>Robert is joined again by Jamie Loftus to continue to discuss Nestor Makhno. Happy Holidays!</p><p> </p> Learn more about your ad-choices at <a href='https://www.iheartpodcastnetwork.com'>https://www.iheartpodcastnetwork.com</a>

• Thanks 1

Eastern Europe has such an...ominous colour palette compared to North America. You can't really understand unless you've been there. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is just slightly different. Oh, you think the trees will be green? NO, they are NEAR-green. You think concrete will be grey? NO, it's somehow a little bit off, too. Maybe @CayceG can comment more, but it's like entering an alternate universe where everything is just slightly more drab.

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Eastern Ukraine has such an...ominous colour palette compared to North America. You can't really understand unless you've been there. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is just slightly different. Oh, you think the trees will be green? NO, they are NEAR-green. You think concrete will be grey? NO, it's somehow a little bit off, too. Maybe @CayceG can comment more, but it's like entering an alternate universe where everything is just slightly more drab.

Kinda. Part of it is that everything is sort of gray because it's winter. Part of it's the pollution in the east. I always to go Ukraine in late summer and everything is relatively vibrant. And it's in the west, so there's less industrial haze. 

But this photo from my friend from last year really shows the beauty of some areas. This is at a monastery in Svyatogorsk in the Donetsk Oblast. 

unknown.png

Oh it's a beautiful country. And sorry, I meant to say eastern Europe, not Ukraine. It's mostly that the vegetation there is a slightly different hue of green than North America (a few percentage points towards blue and grey). I've only visited the areas in this rough triangle in the western half of the country. I think my favourite places were near Chernivtsi and Lviv (I loved Lviv).

kRCO86R.png

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh it's a beautiful country. And sorry, I meant to say eastern Europe, not Ukraine. It's mostly that the vegetation there is a slightly different hue of green than North America (a few percentage points towards blue and grey). I've only visited the areas in this rough triangle in the western half of the country. I think my favourite places were near Chernivtsi and Lviv (I loved Lviv).

kRCO86R.png

I've generally been even farther west. L'viv, Lutsk, Rivne, Ternopil mainly. 

Rivne has a zoo that's pretty funny. They have this one exhibit with a fucking North American raccoon in it. :lol: 

Like, dude, that thing lives under my shed. It is not special enough to be in a zoo.

• Haha 1