Update: Peru to inaugurate its left-wing, socially-conservative president tomorrow

My favorite part of Peru is how because of immigration, a lot of people have Spanish and Japanese names. It's a rad aesthetic. 

My favorite part of this election is the other guy that tied for 2nd is named Hernando De Soto. Like the conquistador. 

• 3 months later...
4400.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Pedro Castillo saw off an ugly, Trump-style revolt against his victory and must now try to unite the country

After nearly two months of waiting, amid baseless claims of fraud and even rumblings of a military coup, Pedro Castillo will on Wednesday become Peru’s president. The son of illiterate peasant farmers, Castillo’s rise to the top on Peru’s 200th anniversary of independence is hugely symbolic, but he will face huge challenges to unite the country.

Castillo’s razor-thin win has split the country between those who back his pledge to overhaul politics and the economic system to tackle poverty and inequality, and others who fear his presidency will upturn Peru’s market-friendly economy and even threaten its democracy.

Receiving his presidential credentials last week, Castillo called for unity, emphatically rejecting claims he would seek to imitate “models from other countries”. “We are not Chavistas”, he said. “We are not communists, we are not extremists, much less are we terrorists.”

But while Castillo, the maverick candidate of Marxist-Leninist party Perú Libre, has moderated his radical message – ruling out nationalising mines and calling for the longstanding central bank chief, Julio Velarde, to stay on – the outright or tacit refusal of far-right opponents to accept his legitimacy will undermine his ability to govern.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Peru to inaugurate its left-wing, socially-conservative president tomorrow

I'm not really paying attention to this, but my Peruvian father-in-law is freaking out over this. He's not happy about a communist being in charge... at all.

But his politics SUCK ass and his opinions on just about everything are terrible and bad.

18 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm not really paying attention to this, but my Peruvian father-in-law is freaking out over this. He's not happy about a communist being in charge... at all.

But his politics SUCK ass and his opinions on just about everything are terrible and bad.

What does he think about you?

Have you ever had that situation where somebody you know has comically terrible opinions about movies or music and then tells you how good something is that you live and you have a near existential crisis? 

Ort has that when he thinks about his FIL liking him 

8 hours ago, ort said:

Lots of propaganda. My mom is like that. 

While I want to LARP the October Revolution.

23 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Have you ever had that situation where somebody you know has comically terrible opinions about movies or music and then tells you how good something is that you live and you have a near existential crisis? 

Ort has that when he thinks about his FIL liking him 

Meh, I don't give people reasons not to like me. My real life persona is pretty different from what I project on here. I use online forums as a way to vent my frustrations and speak in way less measured and reasoned ways. It's a catharsis.

My wife's father is not a good person. We don't need to get into it, it's very complicated. My families life is way easier when we all get along, so we get along. He's never going to change, he's not going to stop being her father and only living parent... so we make the best of the situation as it exists.

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Castillo vows to govern ‘for the people and with the people’ but will face deeply divided Congress

In a highly symbolic gesture, he said he would not govern from the capital’s presidential palace, known as the “House of Pizarro” after the leader of the Spanish conquest of Peru, Francisco Pizarro, who founded Lima in 1535.

We will give up this palace to the ministry of cultures so it can be used as a display of our history, from its origins to today,” he said.

Not sure how to react to this yet. Mainly because the dumb american part of my brain isn't knowledgable enough to truly know what this guy is about.  Communism of course can be a good or bad thing. "Marxist Leninist" could be a potential red flag (a lot of tankies identify as that), even though his policies (based on what's mentioned in that guardian article) seem sound enough so far.

EDIT: after researching it a bit, he apparently he identifies as leftist, not a communist. He seems opposed to neoliberal fascism, though his comments on the Venezuelan Refugee crisis are pretty interesting to say the least. Hmmm....

7 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Not sure how to react to this yet. Mainly because the dumb american part of my brain isn't knowledgable enough to truly know what this guy is about.  Communism of course can be a good or bad thing. "Marxist Leninist" could be a potential red flag (a lot of tankies identify as that), even though his policies (based on what's mentioned in that guardian article) seem sound enough so far.

He's a Latino Catholic