New York to legalize recreational marijuana

210324-legal-marijuana-ny.jpg?quality=90
NYPOST.COM

Weed all about it! New York state lawmakers struck a deal Wednesday to legalize marijuana, legislative sources said — just hours after Gov. Andrew Cuomo called the move  “essential” to

New York State lawmakers struck a deal Wednesday to legalize marijuana, legislative sources said — just hours after Gov. Cuomo called the move “essential” to the state’s social and economic well-being.

The reform measures will be included in the laws that are set to be proposed as part of the state budget due on April 1, the sources said.

The deal would allow New Yorkers over the age of 21 to legally buy and possess up to three ounces of pot for their personal use, with sales by licensed dispensaries to begin as early as December 2022, sources said.

Recreational stoners could even cultivate up to six plants each, or a dozen per household, but a big bummer in the agreement would make them wait to start growing their own until 18 months after the first dispensary opens, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle said.

Plans call for a 9 percent state tax on retail sales that could generate $300 million a year in new revenues, state Sen. Liz Krueger (D-Manhattan) told The Post.

The deal includes the creation of a new state regulatory agency, the Office of Cannabis Management, to license growers, retail sales, delivery and on-premises consumption, Krueger said.

Just now, Chris- said:

I wonder if this will be the final straw at the federal level, because there is no way all those financial institutions in NY want to deal with that bullshit (and/or lose out on some big business). 

The bullshit of...? Their employees smoking pot? 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

The bullshit of...? Their employees smoking pot? 

Many banks and financial institutions are extremely reluctant to get involved with marijuana because of its illegality. I can’t speak for all states, but it’s one of the reasons PA dispensaries won’t accept credit cards (processors don’t want the liability of what is theoretically an illegal drug deal). I also remember back when Discovery (?) had a show about the early medical dispensaries in CA, they kept all their cash in vaults because no bank would touch it. 

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

Many banks and financial institutions are extremely reluctant to get involved with marijuana because of its illegality. I can’t speak for all states, but it’s one of the reasons PA dispensaries won’t accept credit cards (merchants don’t want the liability of what is theoretically an illegal drug deal). I also remember back when Discovery (?) had a show about the early medical dispensaries in CA, they kept all their cash in vaults because no bank would touch it. 

Ah yeah that. My favorite is that there's IRS penalties for businesses not electronically paying their taxes, which these businesses can't do because they largely can't get bank accounts. My favorite is that the IRS's solution for these businesses was to straight up advise them to launder their money so they get the money deposited and thus pay electronically. 

So some back of napkin math here...

Fully "legal" in 16 states (and DC)

The population of those states is 131.3 million... in a country with 330 million people...

That means that for 40% of the country, recreational weed is full legal... I mean, what are the feds doing? Legalize it federally... stop kicking the can down the road and just get with the times.

Something like 70% of Americans support legalization... and I'm pretty sure over 50% of registered republicans support it as well.

This seems more like a distraction from Cuomo but i’m happy to see the news for you New Yorkers and/or surrounding area users.

wont stop people from starting now but 6 plants per person or 12 per household couple, once dispensaries have opened. We only get 4 plants or non at all in Canada. . . . but again, doesn’t stop people from growing more. Almost 4 weeks into flowering of my current grow

spacer.png

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Will NYPD now be stopped from harassing folks because they smell marijuana? I wonder what excuse cops come up with next when they can no longer lean on "I smell weed".

lol, they wouldn't stop arresting women for being topless in public even after a department-wide memo went around that basically said "HEY SHITHEADS WOMEN ARE ALLOWED TO BE TOPLESS IN PUBLIC IN NYC WHEREVER MEN CAN BE STOP ARRESTING THEM FOR IT". NYPD fucking loves enforcing what they think the law is/should be instead of what it actually is.