• Xbox Series X/S (Sep 10, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Sep 10, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 10, 2021)

Developer: Bandai Namco Studios

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 87 average - 96% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digital Trends - 5 / 5 stars

Tales of Arise a great step toward the JRPG's evolution and a must-play for fans of the genre.

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5 stars

Tales of Arise is magnificent. The writing is rich and evocative, and the developers took on a major creative challenge with the themes that they decided to tackle… and did a superb job.

Game Rant - 5 / 5 stars

Tales of Arise takes the franchise to new heights with an emotional story, unique characters, fun combat, and more defining features.

God is a Geek - 10 / 10

Tales of Arise offers a superb blend of JRPG favourites, tight combat, and modern-day design choices. It's easily the best Tales game in years.

GamingTrend - 95 / 100

Tales of Arise is a huge leap forward for the series. Combat is incredibly fun and fluid, the story is fantastic despite a lackluster finale, and the characters are as charming as ever. It's not only one of the best Tales games, but one of the best the PS5 has to offer.

Sirus Gaming - 9.5 / 10

Tales of Arise is truly a masterpiece and is worthy of a game that celebrates 25 years of Tales games and that means a lot to many JRPG fans worldwide.

Geek Culture - 9.3 / 10

A high point for the series, Tales of Arise arrive after a long break and stakes its claim as one of the best JRPGs in recent years.

RPG Fan - 93 / 100

Tales of Arise is a tremendous step forward for a storied JRPG series and should be experienced by all fans of the genre.

Video Chums - 9.2 / 10

Tales of Arise is a masterpiece with a deep story and endearing cast that will keep you hooked as you fight for freedom from tyrants. It's the best Tales yet!

3DNews - Russian - 9 / 10

A new page in the history of Tales. A huge jump in quality compared to a previous game, but still as engaging as ever.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

For those who thirst for the epic JRPGS of old, Tales of Arise manages to live up to lofty expectations and then some.

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

Tales of Arise is the peak of Tales of franchise, where the dev team managed to use years of experience to craft something really great.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Tales of Arise heralds a brilliant new dawn for the series and is one of the best RPGs of the last generation.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

With Tales of Arise, I think the Tales series is finally ready to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the heavy hitters of the JRPG genre – Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. This is a masterfully crafted adventure, and the best JRPG I’ve played in a very long time. Combining stunning visuals with a gripping story and the most exciting combat system found in a JRPG yet, this is a must-have for fans of the genre. Its standalone story makes this a great entry point for those looking to get into the Tales series, too. Put simply, Tales of Arise is outstanding.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

Tales of Arise is a high-quality JRPG and the next technical leap in a series that continues to take steps in the right direction on the occasion of its 25th anniversary. The playable renewal that it proposes places it as one of the most powerful titles of the year and as an excellent entry for players looking to get started in the franchise.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9 / 10

Tales of Arise brings some needed fresh air to its beloved Action JRPG franchise while sticking faithfully to its classic formula. The renewed visuals and the more mature art-style should not alienate the fandom: at its core, this game is a very classic Tales of title, with new additions that make it an even more memorable experience.

Noisy Pixel - 9 / 10

Tales of Arise is the grand adventure we’ve been waiting for, and more, for veteran players and new fans alike. Its addictive and satisfying combat design, breathtaking narrative, gorgeous presentation, and engaging cast make it the quintessential JRPG to play. The characters met in this entry add to the growing cast of memorable personalities this series has given us, solidifying it as a true Tales title.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

Bandai Namco combines excellent writing, stunning anime visuals, and a deep, rewarding combat system to make one of the best JRPGs of the year.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

Tales of Arise is gorgeous. The lands are lush and vibrant, even those trapped in extreme weather patterns. Calaglia's arid landscape makes me thirsty and trudging through Cyslodia's tundra reminds me of long Canadian winters. Sadly this all seems to be lost when it's time to throw in some anime. The switch from game graphics to anime cutscenes is actually rather jarring and I'm not a fan. I like the anime separately as its own entity, just not within the game itself. If the coloring matched the game, sure. But it washes out all of the hard work the level design team put into the game. Pair this with just way too much going on with the artes system and you can see how, though a fantastic game, it falls just shy of hitting a perfect ten.

Push Square - 9 / 10

Tales of Arise went above and beyond our expectations.

RPG Site - 9 / 10

After nearly half a decade, Tales of Arise was worth the wait as a shining new example of what the series future may hold.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Tales of Arise accomplishes the rare feat of catering to its many fans while simultaneously making a compelling case for newcomers to give it a try, and it's a JRPG must-play that was more than worth the wait.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Tales of Arise is an excellent JRPG that delivers just about everything you want from the genre: a rich story, intriguing characters, satisfying combat, and an endless amount of lore.

Siliconera - 9 / 10

In short, Tales of Arise feels satisfying. It’s gorgeous to look at and the battles fun to experience. Especially since you sometimes do get that “Ah ha!” moment when the right sort of Boost Attack or Strike comes up.

Stevivor - 9 / 10

This title makes it clear that the folks at Bandai Namco have it in them to move with the times, without losing the essence of what a Tales game is.

TechRaptor - 9 / 10

Tales of Arise combines a wonderful combat loop with engaging party members to create an epic yet personal story.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

With its engaging story, dark atmosphere, charming characters, and excellent combat, Tales of Arise provides an experience that feels both new and familiar at the same time, making for a game that both long-time fans and newcomers will enjoy.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

Combining the best ideas of the past three generations of 3D action JRPGs, stripped of excess and micromanagement, Tales of Arise is one of the most tactile and frenetic action-narrative experiences to come out of Japan in recent memory.

Fextralife - 8.6 / 10

Tales of Arise combines a stunning world told with a mix of anime, cutscenes and comic strip styled conversations. The combat is fun, flashy with customisable skills in hack 'n' slash style. While the combat can feel a little unnatural with the auto-targeting and airborne moves, once you get used to it, there are some fun fights ahead. If you don't like having to choose between ranged, casting, melee in games, you won't have to worry as Tales of Arise let's you swap in different characters as you wish, keeping combat fresh. With over 40 hours of main story, side quests and exploring , this Tales entry has plenty in terms of content.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.6 / 10

Tales of Arise is a great game and a significant step forward from its predecessor, a wonderful mix of bright narrative and excellent gameplay.

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

Whether this is the big Tales breakthrough or not is a matter that history will decide. This is a Tales game that hits the right spots for me, puts a lot of love into its cast and its action, and somehow manages to strike a balance between the old and the new.

Easy Allies - 8.5 / 10

Tales of Arise brings much needed changes for Bandai Namco's long-running RPG series with stunning new visuals, a refined combat system, and a somber narrative.

MondoXbox - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Tales of Arise succeeds in giving the series new lustre with a mature, interesting story full of twists, a technical aspect that is suited to the current generation and a dynamic, fast and spectacular combat system. There is still room for improvement, but if you are a fan of action-RPG it is a game not to be missed.

PlayStation Universe - 8.5 / 10

Bandai Namco created something special here. Fast-paced, accessible combat meets a well-constructed narrative told with beautiful visuals, wonderful voice work, and an impeccable soundtrack. Even with its odd issue here and there, nothing stands in the way of Tales of Arise succeeding on all levels.

Prima Games - 8.5 / 10

Tales of Arise is full of heart and energy, and isn’t afraid to stumble along with its characters as it explores complicated subjects. It’s messy in a way that feels realistic, despite all the monsters, magic powers and ridiculous outfits.

XGN.nl - Dutch - 8.5 / 10

Tales of Arise delivers a fresh start with new heroes and a world that feels all too familiar. The story of an oppressed people living in a land divided into five parts, that need to be liberated isn't quite original, but Arise does offer a streamlined experience that can be highly tailored. Those that want to, can delve into the lore, while others can happily skip that entirely. The same applies to combat, which can be tailored to the player's desire, from (semi)automatic to manual and challenging.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Tales of Arise is the best game in the series, with a brilliant combat system and a story with a lot of important themes tied to the atrocious consequences of post-colonialism.

GameByte - 8 / 10

Tales of Arise is a beautiful JRPG that is fun to play that fans of the genre will no doubt get a lot out of.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Tales of Arise is the best Tales game in over a decade.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Tales of Arise comes to prove that the series still has a lot to say. At a time when fans of the genre are in for a treat, Bandai Namco has decided to join the party and offer us one of the best instalments of the franchise. A perfect entry into the franchise, with an interesting story, charismatic characters, beautiful artwork and a combat system that's as accessible as it is deep. It takes a while to get going, but when it does, it's hard to put the controller down before starting the next dungeon.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A successful attempt to modernise and broaden the appeal of the Tales series without completely abandoning its JRPG roots.

Press Start - 8 / 10

I came away from Tales of Arise with a new appreciation for the Tales series. I loved my time with the endearing cast of characters and the exciting, fast-paced story alongside the energetic and action-packed battles. Tales of Arise is an excellent action RPG, and a fantastic entry point into the series.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

Remarkable visual aesthetics and entertaining fighting system but slow in presenting the story, especially at the beginning of the game.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

Tales of Arise is a Tales game through and through. It's polished and consistently enjoyable, and it features an excellent combat system. The story and characters are not particularly ambitious or distinct, but they give you a fun world to explore for the 40+ hour runtime. In an era where "safe" JRPGs are uncommon, it's nice to have one that does exactly what it promises. It's not the best or worst of the series, but it is a darn fun Tales title that lives up to the franchise's name.

Cultured Vultures - 7.5 / 10

Dedicated fans of the genre will find exactly what they were looking for here. While its pacing doesn't treat players' time as well it could, Tales of Arise is an enjoyable, memorable action RPG.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

Tales of Arise is a lengthy, beautiful RPG adventure, but has messy combat and uneven pacing on occasion.

CGMagazine - 6 / 10

Tales of Arise is not so much an evolution of the Tales series as it is an awkward game that backs up decent combat with a bland, uninspired story and characters.

ACG -

"So far one of the best Tales games I have played with engaging combat, a diverse story that stretches across some unique territory, and a beautiful world."

Eurogamer - Recommended

There are missteps and a few bumps along the way, but this soft reboot of a long-running series emerges a triumph.

One More Game - Buy

After a drought of 5 years, Tales is Arise makes a stunning return and thoroughly sticks the landing. This latest entry in the series is a solid outing that we can't recommend enough and should prove to be a must-play for longtime fans and even newcomers to the series.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

It takes a little time to warm up to Tales of Arise's main characters (ironic, when two of them wield the powers of hell itself), but once you're over that hump, you're left with a charming JRPG powered by a battle system that never slows down.

Windows Central - Unscored

Tales of Arise sets a new gold standard for traditional action JRPGs. This stylized adventure's presentation and lavish production is a treat for anime fans and RPG enthusiasts, and it brings new life to the long-running Tales series.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tales of Arise - reviews from OpenCritic posted
On 9/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Game seems fine but very old fashioned. Gives the illusion of an open world but everything is barred off. It also is very jarring to walk around the world see enemies then enter another battle area (like an old school FF) to fight the battle.

Old-fashioned? That's how pretty much all JRPGs are. When you say old-fashioned I think of random encounters with turn-based combat.

I purchased it and then refunded. Two issues stood out for me. One, the LOD in this game is atrocious. Its a UE engine game so I'm hoping they can fix this. I saw a few INI tweaks out there and tried them but no luck. Second, I just can't take the melodrama of the story telling style. The art is great and the world looks incredible, but good lord, shut the fuck up, you don't have to share every single thought that goes through your head, out loud and as if you just burnt your hand on a hot stove! I know, I know, its a JRPG, what did I expect/should have run it with Japanese voices and English subtitles. blah, I'm too old for this shit. 

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Compared to something like FFVIIRE or Xenoblade Chronicles yeah old fashioned compared to those

FF7RE is built the exact same way in that it's very linear, nothing open about it. The battles take place in the same space but... so? I hardly see why that matters. Just means in Tales every battle will have a proper arena without shit getting in front of the camera or annoying unintended obstacles.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I purchased it and then refunded. Two issues stood out for me. One, the LOD in this game is atrocious. Its a UE engine game so I'm hoping they can fix this. I saw a few INI tweaks out there and tried them but no luck. Second, I just can't take the melodrama of the story telling style. The art is great and the world looks incredible, but good lord, shut the fuck up, you don't have to share every single thought that goes through your head, out loud and as if you just burnt your hand on a hot stove! I know, I know, its a JRPG, what did I expect/should have run it with Japanese voices and English subtitles. blah, I'm too old for this shit. 

I am playing with the english dub. However for games like this I always default to a person's position on anime. If you enjoy anime go for it. If not skip. 

Want to finish Berseria after this but I might play one of the CRPGs that have come out in the past few years. I am obsessed with stats and gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll probably play it again. I've been itching for a Tales game, which is something myself from 2008 would never have dreamed he'd say.

Still... Tales of Arise... not my favorite.

What I really want is a PC version of Tales of Xillia 1 and 2. It doesn't look like that's ever happening, though. I tried to get an emulator working to play them, but I couldn't figure out the PS3 emulator. It's a lot more complicated than the others.