So What TV/Monitor Are You Playing These Next Gen Consoles on?

skillzdadirecta

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The consensus seems to be that current TV's aren't ready for all of the features these consoles have. I would like to buy a new TV most reviews are saying it's probably best to wait until next year to get a TV if gaming is gonna be one of the primary uses for the set.

Where are you getting that info from? 

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Different tech blogs and websites. Most are saying folks should just wait to buy TV'S next year if you're in the market for a new TV.

Can you link? 
I’m not sure why unless they’re expecting price drops. HDMI 2.1 = HDMI 2.1, just double check specs to make sure it has all the feature sets, but I’m not aware of any that are only “partial” or whatever - the things with issues right now are receivers afaik, and it has to do with a faulty chip.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Can you link? 
I’m not sure why unless they’re expecting price drops. HDMI 2.1 = HDMI 2.1 - the things with issues right now are receivers afaik, and it has to do with a faulty chip.

I've linked a couple of these vids in other threads but this guy has been really vocal about this. This video explains the issue.

This is a more recent vid he did.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've linked a couple of these vids in other threads but this guy has been really vocal about this. This video explains the issue.

This is a more recent vid he did.

I’m not watching a YouTube video :p 

What was posted in that other thread was regarding the issues with receivers. The LG issue was patched via firmware awhile ago. There’s no reason to hold off on an HDMI 2.1 TV unless you’re waiting for a sale.

Another reminder that by about the 20th of July (next year), I need to save up about £900 to buy a new television, a PS5, a sound bar and a few games. I'd say it wasn't essential, but we currently have some old Philips television that weighs a ton - and both myself and my wife play are keen gamers. The deadline is mainly as that's around the start of the summer holiday's and will hopefully be a reward to myself for passing my probation year...

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I’m not watching a YouTube video :p 

What was posted in that other thread was regarding the issues with receivers. The LG issue was patched via firmware awhile ago.

I've posted his vids in other threads but whatever... I don't want to debate if there's an issue or not. I just wanted to know what people are gaming on because I AM in the market for a new TV but I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna wait or not. 

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I've posted his vids in other threads but whatever... I don't want to debate if there's an issue or not. I just wanted to know what people are gaming on because I AM in the market for a new TV but I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna wait or not. 

There’s nothing to debate because there’s literally no issues :p 

I’m telling you this so you don’t have to worry about missing out or whatever on next years models 

1 minute ago, gamer.tv said:

Another reminder that by about the 20th of July (next year), I need to save up about £900 to buy a new television, a PS5, a sound bar and a few games. I'd say it wasn't essential, but we currently have some old Philips television that weighs a ton - and both myself and my wife play are keen gamers. The deadline is mainly as that's around the start of the summer holiday's and will hopefully be a reward to myself for passing my probation year...

You'll probably be in better shape getting a TV next year. I've been gaming on a 1080p Panny plasma since I've been at my parent's hours during the pandemic but I bought a 4K TCL a couple of weeks ago real cheap because I wanted to at least be able to enjoy these consoles at 4K 60. I'm leaving that set here when I go back to my place and I want to get something a lot nicer that would be a bit future proofed. The LG CX seems like the best best, but it's not without its issues too.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You'll probably be in better shape getting a TV next year. I've been gaming on a 1080p Panny plasma since I've been at my parent's hours during the pandemic but I bought a 4K TCL a couple of weeks ago real cheap because I wanted to at least be able to enjoy these consoles at 4K 60. I'm leaving that set here when I go back to my place and I want to get something a lot nicer that would be a bit future proofed. The LG CX seems like the best best, but it's not without its issues too.

I'm most likely leaning towards something like a 4K Samsung, purely as they are fairly entry level, I've had positive experiences in the past and don't cost the earth, though comments about ensuring the television has a 120hz at 4K, I'll be choosing carefully as it would be nice to get the most out of the console. 

I've mentioned it before but I bought a new TV kind of on a whim, and a month later it turned out to be one Sony said is "Ready for Playstation 5". Sony X90H. It got the firmware a few weeks before the PS5 release that its ready for 4k 120hz.  I'm interested to try it out when my console gets here.

Here are 2 pics I took with my phone with just the out of the box settings. Better Call Saul on Netflix:

K5q3b9X.jpg

bePlX5K.jpg

18 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I've mentioned it before but I bought a new TV kind of on a whim, and a month later it turned out to be one Sony said is "Ready for Playstation 5". Sony X90H. It got the firmware a few weeks before the PS5 release that its ready for 4k 120hz.  I'm interested to try it out when my console gets here.

Here are 2 pics I took with my phone with just the out of the box settings. Better Call Saul on Netflix:

K5q3b9X.jpg

bePlX5K.jpg

Damn that's purdy... unfortunately right now this tv only supports 4K 120 for the Playtation 5. They have to add support for PC's and the series X. Also i got burned on a Sony TV a couple of years back... TV didn't last three years. So I'm a little wary of Sony's TV's.

Yeah I'm waiting for next year models as well. The LG CX is probably as close as you can get to a must have of all current TV's but the fact that it doesn't do 12 bit at 4k 120hz is a bummer granted their panels are only 10 bit but you are paying a premium for that TV. I'll be waiting for their panels to become 12 bit. Well that or if there is a really good deal on a CX when new models come out :p Currently Playing the XSX on a Sony X900F so no 120hz or VRR gaming for me.

• Thanks 1

I feel like the last 3-4 years or so has been rough trying to future proof with a new TV. Went from 4k,to 4k HDR-but some of the early HDR tv's don't even look that good. Now if you just bought a nice oled from a year or two ago, you still might be missing out on what the new consoles are fully capable of. 

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I feel like the last 3-4 years or so has been rough trying to future proof with a new TV. Went from 4k,to 4k HDR-but some of the early HDR tv's don't even look that good. Now if you just bought a nice oled from a year or two ago, you still might be missing out on what the new consoles are fully capable of. 

Yea, there’s this weird thing with early HDR TVs, similar to what HDR PC monitors are currently going through; there wasn’t any real “standard” for HDR yet, so TVs that weren’t actually capable of displaying the proper nits of brightness for HDR content would attempt to still show it and it just created a washed-out garbage image. It’s why Dolby Vision is so important as there are standards that have to be met (same with HDR10+... even though it’s worthless since barely anything supports the format and DV is superior looking anyway :p ). With PC monitors, there’s one board attempting to do a certification process, but basically every maker just ignores them, then there’s nVidia and their certification process for HDR on a GSYNC monitor which gives real HDR10(HDR1000), which, currently, only 3-4 monitors actually meet the certification standards for.

With OLEDs, as long as you have a  2019 C9 or better you should have full HDMI 2.1 feature support as long as you have the newest firmware from a couple of weeks ago. Samsung’s QLEDs are good to go as well, but Samsung’s refusal to support Dolby Vision in lieu of their HDR10+ (which, again, has virtually no support and is more-or-less DOA), makes them hard to recommend and is the biggest reason why I went OLED. The 2020 Q and P series from Vizio are also full HDMI 2.1, afaik. The newest Sony TVs will, eventually, be 100% ready too, but currently lack VRR because Sony doesn’t want to release the update for it until they do the PS5 update for it :rolleyes: 

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn that's purdy... unfortunately right now this tv only supports 4K 120 for the Playtation 5. They have to add support for PC's and the series X. Also i got burned on a Sony TV a couple of years back... TV didn't last three years. So I'm a little wary of Sony's TV's.

Ive had multiple problems with Sony electronics. My 1080p LCD (a decade ago) had to go back out of the box. I had a Sony Soundbar that died months after purchase. 

my grandfather is die hard sony, because all their old stuff is bulletproof. (I replaced hjs stand up CRT big screen about 4 years ago because it finally died). 

I think he’s blind (he is 93) because he claims resolution is just a scam by the tv companies 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Ive had multiple problems with Sony electronics. My 1080p LCD (a decade ago) had to go back out of the box. I had a Sony Soundbar that died months after purchase. 

my grandfather is die hard sony, because all their old stuff is bulletproof. (I replaced hjs stand up CRT big screen about 4 years ago because it finally died). 

I think he’s blind (he is 93) because he claims resolution is just a scam by the tv companies 🤣

Yeah back in the day Sony's electronics were very reliable. I don't know what has happened to them since then but when you bought Sony electronics in the 80's, you were paying for quality. We had a pretty big Sony CRT TV when we were kids that lasted pretty much my whole childhood :p That TV must have lasted at over fifteen years. The Sony HD set I bought a couple of years ago just developed these weird lines running through the picture for no reason. That was a TV that didn't see a lot of heavy use and I didn't have it that long. Pretty much swore off of Sony TV's after that. Lol at your granpa btw :lol:

I'm currently trying out an LG CX. I like it so far, though it's not as big of an upgrade over my Samsung KS8000 as I thought it would be. I have until January to return it, so I'll give it some time. The VRR is great. The 120Hz looks good, but it's not really a big wow to me.

10 hours ago, jaethos said:

I'm currently trying out an LG CX. I like it so far, though it's not as big of an upgrade over my Samsung KS8000 as I thought it would be. I have until January to return it, so I'll give it some time. The VRR is great. The 120Hz looks good, but it's not really a big wow to me.

Going OLED was a day and night difference when I upgraded from my K8000. There is so much blooming on the KS8000 compared to LG because of the local dimming being edge lit while the OLED gives you perfect blacks. The viewing angles make everything in the KS8000 washed out if your not sitting directly in front of it. The only thing I would say that KS8000 had was it was brighter but everything else the OLED is better. I don't think I could ever go back to a KS8000 after going OLED let alone all the other benefits you get such as 120hz gaming and VRR support on the CX.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

In all honesty, 120hz/fps isn’t all that ground breaking. The jump from 30fps to 60fps is way more noticeable than the jump from 60 to 120, IMO. The benefit for 120fps is more in twitch-based games than “overall”. VRR is a lot more important.

Agreed. Aside from Shooters, 60 is more than enough. Give me better resolution at that point. Especially if it’s single player.

37 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

When I eventually get a new console, we'll still be using out TCL 4k. I don't know the model of anything, but it's a 55". Neither of us are interested in spending a ton of money on a new TV anytime soon. We could, but, eh. No much motivation and we're fine with what we have. Well probably upgrade when OLEDs get cheaper.

How old is it? I have two of those, one that I bought in 2017 and one I bought this year for my parent's house.

39 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

:peace: 

The video I linked is a firmware update that came out TODAY apparently, that specifically fixes G-sync above 90 FPS. You're talking about the update from a month ago They're discussing this very vid on the AVS OLED forums as we speak

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2020-lg-cx–gx-dedicated-gaming-thread-consoles-and-pc.3138274/page-259

The update seems to still be in Beta so it isn't available for everyone yet.