Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

Why? 

Because people were lead to believe the polls were way off, mostly so the media could save face for being sure Trump would lose despite the odds being decent he could win.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Because people were lead to believe the polls were way off, mostly so the media could save face for being sure Trump would lose despite the odds being decent he could win.

Well looks like it worked.

I'm not gonna get into a debate here, but a lot of major polls WERE wrong. There's been a bunch of theories as to why, the most prevailing theory being that truly undecided voters broke for Trump at the last minute. That may or may not be true, but it still doesn't change the fact that polls, for whatever reason, showed they aren't always reliable. If folks want to still pay attention to them cool :peace:

14 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

For most voters, there really is very little ideological consistency.

I mean, look at this:

"Did you know that Democratic voters want a unicorn for president? For example, according to preliminary exit polls of North Carolina, 56 percent of voters said they want the next president to return to Obama’s policies, while only 27 percent said they want more liberal policies. But in the same poll, 55 percent said they want to replace all private health insurance with a government-run program, and 69 percent want to make tuition free at public colleges and universities."

That speaks volumes right there about how voters perceive ideology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

For most voters, there really is very little ideological consistency.

I know that... I just don't see what Bloomberg's appeal would be to someone who had Warren as their preferred candidate. I had dinner with a buddy of mine last night who is a BIG Warren supporter and he had nothing but disdain for Bloomberg. He also lived in Bloomberg's New York for so that may have something to do with it :p

Boston is barely in. Also apparently the only county reporting results in Maine is on the first eastern tip of the state. I imagine that might have something to do with the current standings in the states neighboring VT.

Polls had Hillary winning the popular vote by around 3% and she won by around 2%. They were pretty damn good. There are always some state anomalies; 2016 just happened to be one where some important states fell into that. But others, like Virginia, were just about right on. And that was despite the fact that there were a considerable number of undecideds. There weren't in 2012, and the polls nailed each states.

1 hour ago, Comet said:

The thread stated Virginia only 

Gonna ban Riley from posting tweets soon.

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Does Warren get blamed for if Bernie underperforms tonight? Also how are Colorado and Minnesota looking? I expect those to be big Bernie states.

Doesn't look like she's doing well enough to be a spoiler. Though I can't stress enough that many Warren voters like the moderates, and many moderate voters in caucus states had Bernie as their second choice.

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Polls had Hillary winning the popular vote by around 3% and she won by around 2%. They were pretty damn good. There are always some state anomalies; 2016 just happened to be one where some important states fell into that. But others, like Virginia, were just about right on. And that was despite the fact that there were a considerable number of undecideds. There weren't in 2012, and the polls nailed each states.

For a significant amount of people (and I include myself in this group) the idea of Trump winning was absurd. I remember, prior to the election, somebody getting in a Twitter argument with Silver saying that Clinton had a 99.9% chance of winning. It wasn't the polls that made people think Trump only had a 0.1% chance of winning. The polls said he probably wouldn't win and people combined that with their absolute revulsion with Trump to conclude there was no way he could win. Then in hindsight, no one wanted to label themselves as being wrong so they'd rather say "well the polls misled me." 

It's impossible to prove but I bet that polls wouldn't have gotten nearly as bad a rap if Romney had won in 2012 as they did when Trump won, even though as I recall in 2012 the polls were predicting an Obama win with far greater certainty. People would've seen Romney win and shrugged saying "well pollsters said he had a 10% chance of winning" (or whatever the odds were) because a Romney victory wouldn't have been as much of a mind breaking thing as a Trump victory was. 

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/11/12/it_wasnt_the_polls_that_missed_it_was_the_pundits_132333.html

For anybody who doesn’t mind learning something in opposition to their stated beliefs...

That's one way to look at it... here are several others.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/why-2016-election-polls-missed-their-mark/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/upshot/a-2016-review-why-key-state-polls-were-wrong-about-trump.html

There's more and I could keep posting them. I know that there's a view out there that the polls were NOT wrong, it was the media coverage and confirmation bias. There's an opposing view that the polls DID get it wrong in 2016. There's also a view that polls got Brexit wrong in 2015 as well. Again, I don't want to debate this and i don't want to derail the thread. If folks want to further rely on polls cool. Something was off and maybe it was an anomaly in that cycle, maybe it wasn't. i don't know. I just made a statement that I don't pay much attention to polls anymore.