My dad has been in prison for a while now and he calls me up today because he says he might be eligible for a stimulus check and wants me to file(?) for him.

Bacon

So, I think only @stepee knows, but yeah, my dad went to jail for Second Degree Robbery and he may not get out until '27. 

Anyway, he calls giving me his SSN and everything and says that I am able to get a stimulus check on his behalf under non-filers. As in, I put in all of his personal info, and then have his check direct deposited into my account. He then says this is all on the up and that his fellow inmate had this done for him. 

I normally wouldn't do this, but he offered to give me half of whatever he gets, if he gets anything. And I don't want to turn down what is basically free money. I just have a hard time trusting his word, and I really don't want to go to jail for something dumb like this. But, from what I can tell, is actually 100% OK for me to do this. Nothing wrong with me claiming the check and having it put into my account. 

But I also just want to be sure. I might ask reddit as well.

• Bacon changed the title to My dad has been in prison for a while now and he calls me up today because he says he might be eligible for a stimulus check and wants me to file(?) for him.
54 minutes ago, Chris- said:

That absolutely is not on the up and up, you cannot tell the IRS you are someone else. He has to file for it on his own unless you have power of attorney.

51 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Correction: you can file for him, but it absolutely cannot go to your bank account. It has to go to him directly.

What if I do have PoA? Could it go into my account then? I do not currently have PoA, but I can get it I think. 

Even if I can't, how would he even cash the check or whatever? He doesn't have an open bank account as far as I am aware so it isn't like he can get a DD.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

What if I do have PoA? Could it go into my account then? I do not currently have PoA, but I can get it I think. 

Even if I can't, how would he even cash the check or whatever? He doesn't have an open bank account as far as I am aware so it isn't like he can get a DD.

It might vary state by state, but at least in PA (and likely WV) you can open up a joint bank account that lists both him and yourself as PoA. 

I’d imagine you could also just have him receive a paper check, then endorse it to you to deposit into your own account...That would definitely take longer (especially if you can’t visit him and have to do it by mail), but that’d be a legit way to do what he is suggesting. 

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Maybe this is relevant?

004-cash-stimulus-empty-wallet-economic-
WWW.CNET.COM

A federal judge ordered the IRS to release stimulus money to qualified people in prison. Here's everything you need to know.

Sounds like as usual in cases like these, there's no clear answer. Gotta love our government. 

Another thought, I'm surprised people in jail would even get one if they owed money to anyone. I think people that were behind on child support didn't get a check. Could almost picture them adding in people that owed fines/restitution to the mix as well. 

14 hours ago, Chris- said:

It might vary state by state, but at least in PA (and likely WV) you can open up a joint bank account that lists both him and yourself as PoA. 

So, I could just go to the bank, open an account with mine and my dad's names on it, and then just have the money deposited into that account? 

I wasn't aware that you could have an account opened in your name without you being present. 

14 hours ago, Chris- said:

I’d imagine you could also just have him receive a paper check, then endorse it to you to deposit into your own account...That would definitely take longer (especially if you can’t visit him and have to do it by mail), but that’d be a legit way to do what he is suggesting. 

He is like 4 hours away so I am not going to be visiting. But, would it be fine to have the check sent to me first so I could include an extra envelope and stamp? Or does it need to actually be sent to his prison address first?  

47 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So, I could just go to the bank, open an account with mine and my dad's names on it, and then just have the money deposited into that account? 

I wasn't aware that you could have an account opened in your name without you being present. 

He is like 4 hours away so I am not going to be visiting. But, would it be fine to have the check sent to me first so I could include an extra envelope and stamp? Or does it need to actually be sent to his prison address first?  

Theoretically yes; as long as you have PoA you can act on his behalf. 

You could probably get away with that so long as he’s named the addressee; I wouldn’t know if it’s strictly illegal, but it’s ‘above the board’ enough that no one would bat an eye. 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Theoretically yes; as long as you have PoA you can act on his behalf. 

You could probably get away with that so long as he’s named the addressee; I wouldn’t know if it’s strictly illegal, but it’s ‘above the board’ enough that no one would bat an eye. 

OK, well, I guess I just have it sent to his prison and then make him send it back to me once he endorses it.