Is Resident Evil 2 Remake worth a playthrough?

best3444

14 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

For my money RE2 Remake is one of the best games of the last 5 years. 

THIS!!

RE2 is my all-time favorite out of all of them and the Remake is just incredible. It give quality of life options control wise but still keeps the look and feel of the OG game.  I still think though archaic the controls of the OG re1 & 2 were what led to the tension. If you had Call of Duty controls and a dodge button they wouldn't have hit as hard IMHO. That said, with RE2 OG in my all-time top 5 games EVER, the RE2 Remake is just incredible and so is RE1 remake. 3 was just OK, and I actually didn't buy the RE3 remake I borrowed my daughters disk...lol 

I now own all of the game except 5&6 on steam deck, oh and not Code Veronica. 

Finally fired this up this morning and played for an hour and a half. I messed with raytracing on and off and with performance mode. Shockingly raytracing makes a massive difference in this visually which takes a bit of a hit with framerate. But the visual difference between raytracing and performance is so drastic I'm playing with that on with some frame drops. It's not awful by any means so I'm glad they had this options. 

Visually it looks pretty damn nice and I was a bit worried about that coming off of Dead Space. The game so far is really well done in both story, voice acting, and gameplay.

The police station is one big puzzle and I forgot how important inventory management is. The one thing I dislike is how you kill a zombie and then 5 minutes later it gets back up. Seems like a waste of ammo but hey, their zombies so I guess there is no logic there.

So far so good and you guys were correct that this is a quality RE game. It's already much better than Village for me.

25 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Stab it till it dies.

From my little experience stabbing can only occur once with the knife and then you lose it for good. At least that's what happened this morning. A zombie attacked me and Leon stabbed him with the knife I got and then the knife disappeared from my inventory. :/

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

From my little experience stabbing can only occur once with the knife and then you lose it for good. At least that's what happened this morning. A zombie attacked me and Leon stabbed him with the knife I got and then the knife disappeared from my inventory. :/

There is an emergency use knife, if you use it in that situation you will lose it. If you equip a knife and hack away you won't lose it immediately.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is an emergency use knife, if you use it in that situation you will lose it. If you equip a knife and hack away you won't lose it immediately.

Ah, got ya. Thanks. I was expecting cheesy dialogue and acting from this and to my surprise it actually is pretty serious and solid. Good game so far that's for sure.

Ok, this game is scarier than Dead Space.:p @BloodyHell you were correct.

I made some pretty good progress and figured out some puzzles that were nifty. But the game even on standard is kinda difficult for me. I litteraly had no ammo and my health was at "danger" right before I made progress to the next area. 

I like it a lot and it's really well made.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Ok, this game is scarier than Dead Space.:p @BloodyHell you were correct.

I made some pretty good progress and figured out some puzzles that were nifty. But the game even on standard is kinda difficult for me. I litteraly had no ammo and my health was at "danger" right before I made progress to the next area. 

I like it a lot and it's really well made.

Go for critical headshots. When using the pistols wait for the crosshair to tighten. Not sure how hard it would be with a controller but I was headshots for days on the PC.

You can also RE4 knife enemies that are downed but the knives don't last for long.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Go for critical headshots. When using the pistols wait for the crosshair to tighten. Not sure how hard it would be with a controller but I was headshots for days on the PC.

You can also RE4 knife enemies that are downed but the knives don't last for long.

Yep, I wait for the cross hair to tighten when I shoot the heads. I strictly go for headshots at all times. I also know about the knives issue but I appreciate your post!

32 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yep, I wait for the cross hair to tighten when I shoot the heads. I strictly go for headshots at all times. I also know about the knives issue but I appreciate your post!

Oo try to learn to avoid zombies. Like even with Mr. X you should be able to say not kill the zombies in the library. Maybe a few bullets to drop one if you aggro them while doing the puzzle. Use boards to board up windows ASAP to prevent a new zombie from spawning and keep in mind when you see a zombie first ask can you avoid them. Be careful about certain areas where lickers can spawn. You should ideally clear out those hallways. You might be able to dodge lickere since they rely on sound and if you slow walk and not bump them you can probably dodge em. 

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Oo try to learn to avoid zombies. Like even with Mr. X you should be able to say not kill the zombies in the library. Maybe a few bullets to drop one if you aggro them while doing the puzzle. Use boards to board up windows ASAP to prevent a new zombie from spawning and keep in mind when you see a zombie first ask can you avoid them. Be careful about certain areas where lickers can spawn. You should ideally clear out those hallways. You might be able to dodge lickere since they rely on sound and if you slow walk and not bump them you can probably dodge em. 

Yea, I was starting to prevent fighting zombies to save ammo but it can be difficult to avoid them at times. Yes, I bored all windows too. The lickers are a bitch so I use my shotgun on them but they usually get good shots on me. 

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Yes shotgun should be for lickers. Save Magnum ammo for late game bosses or the G mutants. I had enough ammo from crafting and finding mag ammo to deal the final bosses.

I just need more inventory space. I just got a patch before quitting for the day so that should help. 

14 hours ago, best3444 said:

Finally fired this up this morning and played for an hour and a half. I messed with raytracing on and off and with performance mode. Shockingly raytracing makes a massive difference in this visually which takes a bit of a hit with framerate. But the visual difference between raytracing and performance is so drastic I'm playing with that on with some frame drops. It's not awful by any means so I'm glad they had this options. 

Visually it looks pretty damn nice and I was a bit worried about that coming off of Dead Space. The game so far is really well done in both story, voice acting, and gameplay.

The police station is one big puzzle and I forgot how important inventory management is. The one thing I dislike is how you kill a zombie and then 5 minutes later it gets back up. Seems like a waste of ammo but hey, their zombies so I guess there is no logic there.

So far so good and you guys were correct that this is a quality RE game. It's already much better than Village for me.

What do you notice about the ray tracing that's better? I flip it on and off and don't see a massive difference. One thing that struck me is that in bathrooms you don't get a reflection with RT on or off. So at some point I just turned it off and went for the smoother FR. 

As for ammo, don't worry about it too much. This isn't like the old games where you can screw yourself for the end game. People berated Abby Russell's playthrough because she'd do the opposite of what survival horror nerds have been trained to do, and she beat the game just fine. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

What do you notice about the ray tracing that's better? I flip it on and off and don't see a massive difference. One thing that struck me is that in bathrooms you don't get a reflection with RT on or off. So at some point I just turned it off and went for the smoother FR.

Xbob took these screens back in the day. At the very least the water has reflections

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

As for ammo, don't worry about it too much. This isn't like the old games where you can screw yourself for the end game. People berated Abby Russell's playthrough because she'd do the opposite of what survival horror nerds have been trained to do, and she beat the game just fine. 

With raytracing on everything looks more realistic and colorful. It has nothing to do with reflections etc. Then when I turn on performance mode everything is extremely washed out and dull. It's extremely strange but also a gigantic difference so I'm confused. I'm playing on a OLED is that means anything? I'm will to have some frame drops but I don't care because it's that big of a difference.

Got ya on ammo, thanks. 

Edit: This is what I had written before I lost connection and almost lost all my post. It's similar but I just want you to understand what I'm saying.

"Raytracing made everything look more realistic. It had nothing to do with reflections etc. Like if I turned it off for the performance mode everything looked extremely washed out and not as detailed. Then I flip raytracing on and everything had much better color and detail. It is very strange but I'm playing on a 65inch OLED if that means anything? It was a BIG difference believe me".

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:00 PM, imthesoldier said:

The archaic controls are why I can't play the OG Resi games. People have been complaining about Goldeneye's controls, but OG Resident Evil's controls are about as useful as shoving peppercorns up your asshole. Played maybe an hour of REmake on GCN, plus some of OG RE2 way back in the day, and noped real quickly. 

Now the REmake games, plus RE2, and 3 though have piqued my interest for awhile now, and with Revelations 1 & 2 on top of that, that could compliment my PC library quite nicely. :cool:

Yeah I tried to do the RE1 remake after loving 2 but even that I just couldn’t play and moped out of. How the fuck did I play through the originals. I should try to get through 3R.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I had to start all over to put the game on easy. That is some bullshit. 

Are you missing a lot of shots? 

I am playing it right now as well and compared to what I do in the originals I just use all my ammo and my box is still loaded with power and herbs that I'll probably never use lol. Like a cardinal sin in the old games would be to run up to some body that's in the room and shoot a shot just to see if they react, what a waste right? I do that shit constantly in this game. 

Maybe very early it's more punishing? I dunno...maybe it is you lol

38 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Are you missing a lot of shots? 

I am playing it right now as well and compared to what I do in the originals I just use all my ammo and my box is still loaded with power and herbs that I'll probably never use lol. Like a cardinal sin in the old games would be to run up to some body that's in the room and shoot a shot just to see if they react, what a waste right? I do that shit constantly in this game. 

Maybe very early it's more punishing? I dunno...maybe it is you lol

I litteraly did everything in my power to conserve ammo and health. I STRICTLY go for headshots and don't miss often at all. The zombies take a lot of hits before going down with the starting pistol. I was stuck with no ammo and no health items with my health at "danger". I had to completely stop and start over just to select the easiest difficulty.

I'm not great at games but this was ridiculous. I'm already making progress on easy and there's more ammo, aim assist, and you slowly recover health over time. 

35 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I litteraly did everything in my power to conserve ammo and health. I STRICTLY go for headshots and don't miss often at all. The zombies take a lot of hits before going down with the starting pistol. I was stuck with no ammo and no health items with my health at "danger". I had to completely stop and start over just to select the easiest difficulty.

I'm not great at games but this was ridiculous. I'm already making progress on easy and there's more ammo, aim assist, and you slowly recover health over time. 

That's odd. This is my third play through and I have certainly had like brief periods where ammo is low early on, but it's usually short lived after some designed tension is released and then you find a bunch of stuff. I assume you are searching rooms to exhaustion (where it turns from red to just "normal" or whatever). And combining your gunpowder. 

Apologies if you're doing this and still just had no ammo, but: 

1. Only head shots 

2. Wait for the reticle to compact (shots are more powerful)

3. Once downed use the knife to finish them off if you can 

4. You can avoid some enemies early on, just run away and come back when you've stocked up

5. Board up windows when you see them. Don't save the boards like an idiot (me). Just fuckin use them. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

That's odd. This is my third play through and I have certainly had like brief periods where ammo is low early on, but it's usually short lived after some designed tension is released and then you find a bunch of stuff. I assume you are searching rooms to exhaustion (where it turns from red to just "normal" or whatever). And combining your gunpowder. 

Apologies if you're doing this and still just had no ammo, but: 

1. Only head shots 

2. Wait for the reticle to compact (shots are more powerful)

3. Once downed use the knife to finish them off if you can 

4. You can avoid some enemies early on, just run away and come back when you've stocked up

5. Board up windows when you see them. Don't save the boards like an idiot (me). Just fuckin use them. 

Did ALL that. I dodged a lot of zombies but they eventually come back to bite me in the ass later. It's cool now since I'm on easy. Thanks for looking out.