Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

To be clear, if you're skipping any part of the story or just skimming text because it's not a "voiced cutscene" or whatever, then you'll be missing quite a lot. Not saying you're doing that, but I have seen people complain when the only thing they didn't skip was the biggest cutscenes. It's not a game about just big moments, it's how everything comes together, all the little details, built up over the course of a decade.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Oh yeah, FFVI is also my favorite. I just meant in sort of like the "post-Sakaguchi" era.

FF8 is alright, the first one Sakaguchi had nothing to do with

FF9 is all-time great, Sakaguchi was involved, but pretty hands-off since he was making Spirits Within at the time

FF10 is pretty good

FF10-2 is alright

FF12 isn't as great as 9, but still head and shoulders above the rest

FF13 is meh

FF13-2 is garbage. I actually heard Lightning Returns is alright, but I never cared enough to try it

FF15 is like 75% of a great game, but it face plants *hard* about 2/3 of the way through.

I have heard great things about FFVII Remake, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

So yeah, I'm just excited for someone other than the Kitase/Nomura team to take a crack at a mainline FF game.

Completely disagree with your list. 7 > 12 > 8 = 10 > 6 > 9.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

To be clear, if you're skipping any part of the story or just skimming text because it's not a "voiced cutscene" or whatever, then you'll be missing quite a lot. Not saying you're doing that, but I have seen people complain when the only thing they didn't skip was the biggest cutscenes. It's not a game about just big moments, it's how everything comes together, all the little details, built up over the course of a decade.

Heh, I almost made a post earlier regarding your other post but this is about what I was going to say. Shadowbringers really is the best with Endwalker being more of a Shadowbringers-2. But what I was going to say was that, no matter how good ShB was, ShB is only that good because of how far away we started. If we just started off in ShB, even if it was modified to make a bit more sense, it just wouldn't have that impact. Especially, "'tis good to see you awake,". ShB would have been nothing without everything that came before it, and Endwalker doubles down on that hard with constant reminders of your past deeds.

• Halal 1

29 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Nope I’m getting it all, it’s a really nice casual game to play tbh cuz the vast majority is just mindless and then you watch a little scene lol. Then all of a sudden 3-7 other real humans are relying on you not to fuck up. 

Again I love the game, I don’t wanna seem like I’m down on it. It just hasn’t been in the running of best video game story EVER for me (yet?). 

I agree with a lot of what @Bacon said that the sheer length of the game and amount of things you go through lends itself to a feeling that few if any games could ever get you to feel. You really feel like your character has been through some real stuff. And I’m at a part where they’re starting to play with it more, like when you get to play as a different character while your character is trying to get there in time to stop a big bad… like you get the sense that your character could go toe to toe with this dude who before was like a god, and it just works really well for me. 

16 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Completely disagree with your list. 7 > 12 > 8 = 10 > 6 > 9.

It's okay to be wrong sometimes.:p

I like 7 a lot, too (lord knows I've played it enough, I'd better like it), but I consider that one to be the last of the Sakaguchi era of FF games. After that, he's only lightly involved or not involved at all. That's why I kind of separate it from the rest.

Final Fantasy VI might very well be my favorite game of all time.

If I had to rank them, it would be 6>9>7>12>4>10>8>15>13, then you can't really compare the first 2 to the rest. I haven't played 3 or 5 yet, I'm planning on getting to them soon.

So we only disagree on 6 and 9.

FFXV was *almost* there. That game is a lot of fun, and then it completely nosedives in the last act, which almost makes it more frustrating that FF13, which is just kind of boring all the way through. I would agree that 10 and 8 are more or less equal and opposites. FF8's progression system was too complicated and drawing magic sucked, but then they went too far in the other direction for FFX, making everything basically "rock, paper, scissors." I just give the slight nod to FFX because I think the world is more interesting. Also I don't like either Triple Triad or Blitzball. I did have one playthrough of FFX where I got my blitzball team basically maxed out... never doing that again.

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I haven't played 9 yet, but it seem crazy to put it as last based off of everything I have ever heard. I can only assume you are just not a fan of the visuals. 

The characters suck, Vivi is the only one I actually felt any kind of connection to. The combat is also a big step backward for a series that had been taking chances it went back to more traditional rpg roots.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I haven't played 3

If you ever do, just play the Pixel Remaster. I have fond memories of FF3 3D remake but it doesn't hold up. I have recently beat it and while The 3D remake does have a better presentation when it comes to the story, and while I do find the art style nostalgic and endearing, holy shit does it feel like a slog after playing the Pixel Remaster versions of 1 and 2.  I made a short review of FF3 as I am doing for all the FF's 1-10 as I play them. I post it in the spoiler box, but it doesn't have any spoilers. 

Spoiler

FF3 3D Remake short review

Man, I thought the story was way better when I was a kid/young teen.

Like, it hardly had a story, but it is better presented than even the PR.

The Grinding was annoying

I didn’t end up liking the job system as much as I thought I did

Aside from a few gimmicks, there was once again no reason to have magic dps.

After playing the previous two pixel remasters the 3D remake is so unbelievably slow. 

The least satisfying ending so far. God, this was such a good game in my memories.

Honestly, I wish I played the Pixel Remaster instead.

I did play it until past the halfway point in the PR tho and so I’ll probably go and beat it.

When I was a kid and beat the but with the gameshark thing so I am at least glad that after all these years I have finally beaten the FF3 remake legit tho. 

The worst thing I did in this game was grind. 

Got my end game jobs to 99 and lvl’d to 50. 

I didn’t even know that was getting me overpowered. 

I knew getting any job to 99 wasn’t even needed but I was still 49 levels from max level. 

I didn’t think getting 50(63 by the end of the game) was going to remove all difficulty. 

I don’t want to say the game is bad, but I just had such a fond memory of the game as a kid but it doesn’t hold up. It is just so slow and dated. I’m not even talking about the visuals. That is actually one of the reasons I wanted to replay the 3D remake. But it really wasn’t worth it. The PR is just better in every regard and any annoyance FF3 had was just outright removed in the PR. FF3 PR is actually a good game, but it presents an even more plain-basic story than the 3D remake.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

The characters suck, Vivi is the only one I actually felt any kind of connection to. The combat is also a big step backward for a series that had been taking chances it went back to more traditional rpg roots.

Huh, I've heard good things about the characters except for the chicken/rooster guy, the lunch lady, and the rat dragoon and the issues I have seen with them were that they were one note and lack story moments.  

31 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If you ever do, just play the Pixel Remaster. I have fond memories of FF3 3D remake but it doesn't hold up. I have recently beat it and while The 3D remake does have a better presentation when it comes to the story, and while I do find the art style nostalgic and endearing, holy shit does it feel like a slog after playing the Pixel Remaster versions of 1 and 2.  I made a short review of FF3 as I am doing for all the FF's 1-10 as I play them. I post it in the spoiler box, but it doesn't have any spoilers. 

Spoiler
  Hide contents

FF3 3D Remake short review

Man, I thought the story was way better when I was a kid/young teen.

Like, it hardly had a story, but it is better presented than even the PR.

The Grinding was annoying

I didn’t end up liking the job system as much as I thought I did

Aside from a few gimmicks, there was once again no reason to have magic dps.

After playing the previous two pixel remasters the 3D remake is so unbelievably slow. 

The least satisfying ending so far. God, this was such a good game in my memories.

Honestly, I wish I played the Pixel Remaster instead.

I did play it until past the halfway point in the PR tho and so I’ll probably go and beat it.

When I was a kid and beat the but with the gameshark thing so I am at least glad that after all these years I have finally beaten the FF3 remake legit tho. 

The worst thing I did in this game was grind. 

Got my end game jobs to 99 and lvl’d to 50. 

I didn’t even know that was getting me overpowered. 

I knew getting any job to 99 wasn’t even needed but I was still 49 levels from max level. 

I didn’t think getting 50(63 by the end of the game) was going to remove all difficulty. 

I don’t want to say the game is bad, but I just had such a fond memory of the game as a kid but it doesn’t hold up. It is just so slow and dated. I’m not even talking about the visuals. That is actually one of the reasons I wanted to replay the 3D remake. But it really wasn’t worth it. The PR is just better in every regard and any annoyance FF3 had was just outright removed in the PR. FF3 PR is actually a good game, but it presents an even more plain-basic story than the 3D remake.

Honeslty that was kind of my feel with FFIV, too. I haven't tried the Pixel Remaster yet, but the 3D version feels like a slog compared to the other versions. I'm assuing the Pixel remaster is pretty good, but before that came out, I would have said to play the PSP Complete Collection version if you can. Barring that, just the regular SNES version. The DS version is just so grindy and slow compared to the others.

41 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

This is a bad take

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Honeslty that was kind of my feel with FFIV, too. I haven't tried the Pixel Remaster yet, but the 3D version feels like a slog compared to the other versions. I'm assuing the Pixel remaster is pretty good, but before that came out, I would have said to play the PSP Complete Collection version if you can. Barring that, just the regular SNES version. The DS version is just so grindy and slow compared to the others.

I'm in the middle of playing the FF4 3D remake and it isn't nearly as bad as FF3. Of course, I'm playing on normal which is actually the easy version of the game (which removes the grind) and hard has the DS's difficulty. I haven't played any other version of FF4 but I can't imagine the story being better in the PR. The voices make a huge difference and so does it being in 3D. I have a hard time really getting into the story of pixel games. I'm interested in seeing how I feel about 6 because of that. 

FF3 on the other hand doesn't really have much of a story at all so the jump to 3D doesn't really make a difference. 

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm in the middle of playing the FF4 3D remake and it isn't nearly as bad as FF3. Of course, I'm playing on normal which is actually the easy version of the game (which removes the grind) and hard has the DS's difficulty. I haven't played any other version of FF4 but I can't imagine the story being better in the PR. The voices make a huge difference and so does it being in 3D. I have a hard time really getting into the story of pixel games. I'm interested in seeing how I feel about 6 because of that. 

FF3 on the other hand doesn't really have much of a story at all so the jump to 3D doesn't really make a difference. 

I didn't know that the DS difficulty was the default "hard" mode. That explains why I felt like the DS version was such a (literal) grind.

I have loved every single Pixel Remaster. Even the much-hated 2 was perfectly playable and enjoyable as a Pixel Remaster, largely because it didn't have a lot of the BS that made the original suck.

Ironically, and somewhat sadly for me, I have yet to finish 6, despite beating all 5 other games. I imagine it's partly because I've played it so many times it's just not as fun for me anymore, despite being my prior-to-Shadowbringers second-favorite JRPG of all time (#1 being Chrono Trigger) -- I've overplayed it and it makes getting through this version kind of a slog, despite it being done very well. But I'm not trying to force myself, as it stands I just kind of play it for 20 minutes and get distracted, if I force myself I'll end up hating it which I never want to happen.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

Lol wut?

The characters are incredible. Vivi, Garnet, Steiner... so much fun. That game is so good. 

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I have loved every single Pixel Remaster. Even the much-hated 2 was perfectly playable and enjoyable as a Pixel Remaster, largely because it didn't have a lot of the BS that made the original suck.

Ironically, and somewhat sadly for me, I have yet to finish 6, despite beating all 5 other games. I imagine it's partly because I've played it so many times it's just not as fun for me anymore, despite being my prior-to-Shadowbringers second-favorite JRPG of all time (#1 being Chrono Trigger) -- I've overplayed it and it makes getting through this version kind of a slog, despite it being done very well. But I'm not trying to force myself, as it stands I just kind of play it for 20 minutes and get distracted, if I force myself I'll end up hating it which I never want to happen.

I'm the same way. I've played the game so many times that it's like I get to Figaro or the rapids and I just kind of hang it up.

I haven't actually got to World of Ruin or anything in quite a long time, though. I'm hoping the next time I pick it up, I'll get there, and then it will be a grand olde time.

I'll post my short reviews for ff1 and ff2 RP

Spoiler

FF1 PR short review

Crazy how FF1 is felt across every FF title.

For an old game, you don’t really need a guide or anything to complete it. 

The story or just game progression is annoying and that is really where the game shows its age. It kind of feels like things just fall into place because the game has to progress somehow. 

Like, from getting the boat, to meeting the sleeping elf prince, to the ruined keep, to the swap dungeon, all feels like nonsense until you get the crown. 

But then you kill the Dark Elf and he has the eye for the random witch I met in a cave who is needed to make a potion to wake up the prince. It just feels so random. 

Like guessing the right answer for a math question you don’t know how to solve. 

From there I feel like things start to make sense with going to the dwarves and doing the earth dungeon shit, but then the game just tossed you out with seemingly no direction. 

Like, aside from “lol just explore” I have no idea how going to crescent town is the next logical step. 

All of that is clearly some old game limitations.

Another old game thing that is “exposed” by the new map function is how much damn empty space there is in every dungeon. 

I could see my playtime being doubled pointlessly without it

I’d really like to see this game be remade with only one Warrior of Light and having the game start before you have the 4 crystals. 

What little story there is in the game is nice but basic.

And hey, lol, I killed Chaos. 

FF2 PR short review

Way better story than FF1.

Might have introduced even more stuff than FF1 that has carried over into all other FF titles.

The Skill System was pretty pointless and grinding out magic was honestly a waste of time.

The system isn’t bad at its core, but it was not implemented well, or PR messes it up.

The encounter rate is insane. More time is spent in encounters than just walking.

Not even kidding when I say every two seconds I was in an encounter due to sprint.

Game mostly just played itself at that point tho.

I just had everyone using two swords and put auto-battle on. 

Only died to a Coeurl ambush. It was the only time I saw a game over screen.

Game had way more directions. Never felt lost. 

Crazy how you don’t get the airship until the very end. 

Half of the game is just walking with way too many encounters.

While the story was better, I felt everything past the cyclone was a last-minute addition. 

Lame that we didn’t get to fight the Dark Knight and the final boss was way lamer than Chaos. 

Game wasn’t bad at all, but it will probably go down as the worst Pixel FF. 

It is really the encounter rate that makes it the worst. 

The system is just a trap that I fell for but I don’t hate it. 

Should have just played the game like normal.

Steiner's story arc is probably my favorite in the game. I won't go into it too much for @Bacon's sake, but 

(only thematic "spoilers" not actual plot spoilers)

Spoiler

Every character in the story goes on a journey of discovering who they actually are, rather than who they thought they were or what others tell them they're supposed to be. It's a story about accepting yourself and not being afraid to be yourself. Steiner's story encapsulates that better than any other character, in my opinion. That's why I don't vibe with people saying Quina is a shit character. Quina has no character development, because Quina already accepts who they are and is not afraid of it. Quina likes frogs. Quina is secretly what the other characters are aspiring to be the whole time. In a way, Quina is the moral compass.

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Paperclyp (but no longer)

how dare he

Steiner is awesome, as is Vivi, Garnet, Freya and the whole damn crew. Maybe the most likeable crew of characters ever in a traditional FF game for my money. Though I am extremely partial to FF7. 

7-9 are some of my favorite games ever. I don’t know how a person can say the battle system in 9 goes “backwards” or whatever. 8’s (and I love it for this) is literally broken. 7 is very straightforward (as is 9), but none of them are like incredibly innovative (which is partially why I love them). 9 has some of the coolest mini games, side quests, and bosses in the series. The weapon ability system is great fun, the art is more traditional fantasy but at the same time has a lot of really sick design to it, and man, just a funny, great game. Pound for pound probably the most balanced game of the PS1 series other than throwing the curve ball at the end at you. But they all kinda do that. 

On 6/24/2022 at 10:26 AM, Paperclyp said:

how dare he

Steiner is awesome, as is Vivi, Garnet, Freya and the whole damn crew. Maybe the most likeable crew of characters ever in a traditional FF game for my money. Though I am extremely partial to FF7. 

7-9 are some of my favorite games ever. I don’t know how a person can say the battle system in 9 goes “backwards” or whatever. 8’s (and I love it for this) is literally broken. 7 is very straightforward (as is 9), but none of them are like incredibly innovative (which is partially why I love them). 9 has some of the coolest mini games, side quests, and bosses in the series. The weapon ability system is great fun, the art is more traditional fantasy but at the same time has a lot of really sick design to it, and man, just a funny, great game. Pound for pound probably the most balanced game of the PS1 series other than throwing the curve ball at the end at you. But they all kinda do that. 

For the record I dont think 9 is a bad game, it's a great game just a bad final fantasy game (in my opinion). FF7 is my favorite game ever (tied with a link to the past) and FF8 is top 5-10ish and I know I'm on the minority on that opinion I know a lot of people don't dig 8.

All of the stuff you like about 9 I disliked, I thought the mini games were horrible, I'd rather dodge 1000 lightning bolts in FF10.

Gold saucer, triple triad, blitzball are all miles ahead of anything in 9.

I've beaten 6, 7, 8, 10 AT LEAST 4 times each, and 12 twice (working on a 3rd playthrough in Zodiac Age) 9 is the only one I can't bring myself to play through again.

You are entitled to your opinion but we obviously see things differently.

10 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

For the record I dont think 9 is a bad game, it's a great game just a bad final fantasy game (in my opinion). FF7 is my favorite game ever (tied with a link to the past) and FF8 is top 5-10ish and I know I'm on the minority on that opinion I know a lot of people don't dig 8.

All of the stuff you like about 9 I disliked, I thought the mini games were horrible, I'd rather dodge 1000 lightning bolts in FF10.

Gold saucer, triple triad, blitzball are all miles ahead of anything in 9.

I've beaten 6, 7, 8, 10 AT LEAST 4 times each, and 12 twice (working on a 3rd playthrough in Zodiac Age) 9 is the only one I can't bring myself to play through again.

You are entitled to your opinion but we obviously see things differently.

That’s cool, I wasn’t gonna try to get in a back and forth with you, but to be fair for a game you believe is great you said there was only one character than you had any connection to and that one of the other characters is a tool and possibly a right wing nut job :p

I personally like the materia system better than anything 8-9 did, again I love the broken junction system in 8, but 9’s combat is by far the most balanced. And in the battles themselves the combat is probably the best in 9 (like if you consider junction and materia sort of ancillary systems of battle). So I disagree that it goes backwards. But again, splitting hairs and personal preference. 

• Halal 1

final-fantasy-xvi-mm-scaled.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Naoki Yoshida explains why the sequel uses only European acting and voice talent…

“But even though it’s in English, we’ve been careful not to include any American accents. The decision was made to prevent American players from getting angry: ‘I was looking forward to medieval European fantasy, so why are there American accents?!’ (Laughs). Therefore, all lines are recorded in British English.”

I demand that all the British English accents be either Cockney or from northern England (Yorkshire or Geordie).

• Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy XVI (Summer 2023) – Information Thread, update: game will only use "British English" accents to "prevent American players from getting angry"
9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

That’s cool, I wasn’t gonna try to get in a back and forth with you, but to be fair for a game you believe is great you said there was only one character than you had any connection to and that one of the other characters is a tool and possibly a right wing nut job :p

I personally like the materia system better than anything 8-9 did, again I love the broken junction system in 8, but 9’s combat is by far the most balanced. And in the battles themselves the combat is probably the best in 9 (like if you consider junction and materia sort of ancillary systems of battle). So I disagree that it goes backwards. But again, splitting hairs and personal preference. 

To me it was a step back because 7 & 8 eschewed the class/job system which allowed extreme party flexibility, you could build your party however you wanted and didnt feel locked into using certain characters because "well I really need a white mage" materia also allowed awesome things like final attack, counter+ and enemy skill. 9 went backwards there.

I also wasnt a fan of needing to waste skill points on things like "insect slayer" in 9. Also hated that a turn based rpg with random encounters locked a certain characters ultimate weapon behind a time-gate, like seriously what the actual fuck were they thinking?

Again it was a great game despite the many things I disliked and I do intend to play it again at some point, it was just for me a major letdown after 2 of my favorite games ever and yes I acknowledge 8 was deeply flawed.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
final-fantasy-xvi-mm-scaled.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Naoki Yoshida explains why the sequel uses only European acting and voice talent…

I demand that all the British English accents be either Cockney or from northern England (Yorkshire or Geordie).

This is so bizarre to me. The game doesn't take place in Europe, so it's free to use any and all accents, including made-up ones. What kind of idiot would get mad at an American accent in a fake game world?

19 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

What kind of idiot would get mad at an American accent in a fake game world?

The people who think bing bong voice acting is always better because of Xenoblade and FFXIV starting with HW. Some diehard 14 fans would play it. And like, while I mostly see it from the EU side, there are even people who think WoW should have crumpet voice acting.

ARR had some bad VAs, sure, but most of it was fine. The really shitty ones just stood out like Minifila, or Alfino. Gaius was also omega hammy. Lala's needed some work too. But I thought Thancred, Balthier Urianger, Raubahn, Louisoix, Y'shtola, Merlwyb( old va is 100% better), and probably some others were totally fine. And people forget that FF12 had a great English voice cast outside of perhaps Vaan.