It bothers me that the Orange Box hasn't appeared on the PS4/XBONE at all this generation.

gamer.tv

I do appreciate that Valve have just ignored this generation of consoles, but either a remastered release of the Orange Box, or an updated version with a few additions, seems like it would be a great fit for home consoles - especially as they have already completed all the work so they work using a controller. Breaking it down even more, how Team Fortress 2 wasn't given a token F2P release, a Portal collection (including Bridge) never came to consoles, Left 4 Dead has been...left, on the 360 and Half Life (even a port of Black Mesa), the expansions, HL2 (and Episodes 1 & 2) not coming feels like such a missed opportunity. 

Having recently played through Black Mesa, Half-Life 2, both episodes, and the Portal 2 co-op, I don't think a re-release without any new assets would be too worthwhile.

Black Mesa looks pretty good, especially at the end, but that's because it does have lots of new assets.

Half Life 2 looks fine in 4K, but it could really use some slight upgrades. There's a lot of blocky models and muddled textures, though the gameplay holds up pretty well.

Portal, thanks to it's very clean art style, holds up very well. The nature of the game means I didn't really notice the aging graphics much at all.

All that said, I do think some very minimal upgrades could make a new Orange Box worthwhile. Maybe some new lighting and effects, some upgraded textures, etc.

5 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I do appreciate that Valve have just ignored this generation of consoles, but either a remastered release of the Orange Box, or an updated version with a few additions, seems like it would be a great fit for home consoles - especially as they have already completed all the work so they work using a controller. Breaking it down even more, how Team Fortress 2 wasn't given a token F2P release, a Portal collection (including Bridge) never came to consoles, Left 4 Dead has been...left, on the 360 and Half Life (even a port of Black Mesa), the expansions, HL2 (and Episodes 1 & 2) not coming feels like such a missed opportunity. 

I miss playing these so much. Isn't HL2 in shambles on Steam of all platforms? There were some threads about glitches and controller support issues in the steam forums a while back.  Hopefully we get a new remaster collection, one with Portal 2.  A release scheduled soon before the sequel to the recent VR game might be the best chance of it happening.