Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 21 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

skillzdadirecta

Not gonna lie... this feels like a CW show storywise :p I'm sure that's deliberate. Gonna take a break to get some lunch. I played through the first mission which was mostly stealth. I'm REALLY enjoying the game so far and I can't get over how different this Gotham feels as opposed to the other games. I hope there's plenty of stuff to do outside of the main missions because I really want to explore this city. It feels more like the Gotham city from the movies rather than the games.

• Thanks 1

Actually if I turn ray tracing off it seems quite stable 60fps even on the cycle! Might be the way to go until a patch.

The way this game is optimized it’s like it simply refuses to use any power available to it past a certain point, very strange. Combat seems fun though.

• True 1

28 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For you PC guys

Im going to guess this is a placebo fix as it didn’t seem to work and looking at options after doing it, I see ray tracing is still there and functioning and that is DX12 only so it doesn’t appear to be initiating a dx11 mode and just ignoring the command.

That can be a fix, worked for FF7R to a great degree before Nvidia fixed that one, but you lose stuff so it’s not really a quick fix even if it does work. But I don’t think so here.

Unfortunately shader compilation stutter like this is really annoying to troubleshoot because you get a lotttttt of placebo techniques.

The reason being that the way it works is after the shaders are generated they are cached and your cpu doesn’t have to work extra to generate them, so you often don’t get the same stutter or drops from the same circumstances when they are repeated.

This makes people trying to troubleshoot the issue think that things they are attempting are resolving the issue when really it’s just because they are playing a section already cached. I’m sure when they go back later and play more they find it remains, but it’s the internet so people don’t want to lose face and admit that it didn’t work.

Capped it to 40fps and that’s definitely the sweet spot until they optimize it so it uses more cpu cores and pre compile shaders. It’s fine enough at 40 and looks amazing completely maxed out so it’s good enough i’m going to just keep playing. 

This game reminds me so much of Saints Row 2022 lol. I had a lot of fun just running around doing side stuff and beating people up on deck (haven’t tried native, using moonlight). Story hasn’t seemed to really kick off yet but we will see where it goes.

Yeah, it’s essentially an open world batman beat em up game with rpg elements. If that sounds fun to you, you will like this. I really like the city actually, how it’s more of a real city than a playground like the Arkham games.

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Capped it to 40fps and that’s definitely the sweet spot until they optimize it so it uses more cpu cores and pre compile shaders. It’s fine enough at 40 and looks amazing completely maxed out so it’s good enough i’m going to just keep playing. 

This game reminds me so much of Saints Row 2022 lol. I had a lot of fun just running around doing side stuff and beating people up on deck (haven’t tried native, using moonlight). Story hasn’t seemed to really kick off yet but we will see where it goes.

Yeah, it’s essentially an open world batman beat em up game with rpg elements. If that sounds fun to you, you will like this. I really like the city actually, how it’s more of a real city than a playground like the Arkham games.

JFC imagine having to cap something at 40fps with a 4090

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • True 1

lol actually no that is a 40fps cap on the 4090, then I stream it to the deck with moonlight. Otherwise it stutters too much in the open city, especially on the bike, if I keep it at 60fps. 

It doesn’t matter what gpu you have, a 4090 can handle it max at native 4k easily, the cpu end scales horribly and even if you can break the 60 average which mine barely does, you still get a stutter fest and areas that seem to just stop trying to use any power you have available.

You can be at a place and it will be 42fps but usage is like 40% gpu 20% cpu and it’s like it’s just refusing to use anything you have.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

it’s essentially an open world batman beat em up game with rpg elements. If that sounds fun to you, you will like this. I really like the city actually, how it’s more of a real city than a playground like the Arkham games.

Of course it sounds fun to me, thanks for rubbing salt in the wound. :cry:

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Of course it sounds fun to me, thanks for rubbing salt in the wound. :cry:

yeah it’s definitely something I think you will enjoy, should be all patched up at least though! 

You should be happy this didn’t land on last gen though, it would have been quite the unplayable mess!

32 minutes ago, stepee said:

You should be happy this didn’t land on last gen though, it would have been quite the unplayable mess!

Yeah, I know. But I still feel that they should have left out untethered co-op in the last gen console versions if that was the reason why it couldn’t run on them. Oh well, it just gives me another game to look forward to when I get a PS5.

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, I know. But I still feel that they should have left out untethered co-op in the last gen console versions if that was the reason why it couldn’t run on them. Oh well, it just gives me another game to look forward to when I get a PS5.

Is money holding you back in getting the PS5 now? I don't think I've ever asked you.

5 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Oh the coop is absolutely not the real reason, calling huge bullshit on that. The game is hitting the cpu hard playing single player with very limited optimization even with ray tracing off. Really all you could wish for here is that they simply were able to code the game better.

I've only had a chance to play it for about an hour. And overall I feel like there is a fun game somewhere in here.

However my main concern so far is traveling the world. It seems slow and clunky. Grappling hooking from roof to roof isn't as satisfying as I hoped it'd be. And the motorcycle drives around 15MPH. 

Does traversal end up feeling better once you unlock the "heroic" moveable ability (am assuming that's the ability that lets you glide)?

30 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Is money holding you back in getting the PS5 now? I don't think I've ever asked you.

Yeah, that’s part of it. I live on a fairly low fixed monthly income, so money is a little tight especially now with the prices of everything going up so much. But like I’ve mentioned before, I have over 700 PS4 games so I don’t have a big reason to get a PS5 right now since it currently doesn’t have enough games for it to really justify having it when I have more than enough games than I realistically have time to play already on PS4. Of course it sucks a little when a new game that I really want to play like Gotham Knights comes out and I know that I won’t be able to play it until I get a PS5, but I have plenty of other games to play instead.

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh the coop is absolutely not the real reason, calling huge bullshit on that. The game is hitting the cpu hard playing single player with very limited optimization even with ray tracing off. Really all you could wish for here is that they simply were able to code the game better.

I wonder why they had such a difficult time getting this game running well, because nothing that I’ve seen of it seems all that technically advanced. :shrug:

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, that’s part of it. I live on a fairly low fixed monthly income, so money is a little tight especially now with the prices of everything going up so much. But like I’ve mentioned before, I have over 700 PS4 games so I don’t have a big reason to get a PS5 right now since it currently doesn’t have enough games for it to really justify having it when I have more than enough games than I realistically have time to play already on PS4. Of course it sucks a little when a new game that I really want to play like Gotham Knights comes out and I know that I won’t be able to play it until I get a PS5, but I have plenty of other games to play instead.

I understand. I got my PS5 with 10 games so that justified it for me. But I usually get consoles at launch so this was actually late for me because of how difficult it was getting one. 

Yea, PS5 will be around for another 7 years so you have plenty of time. No interest in the Series X?

56 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I understand. I got my PS5 with 10 games so that justified it for me. But I usually get consoles at launch so this was actually late for me because of how difficult it was getting one.

I used to always get new consoles at launch as well starting with Genesis up until Xbox 360. However, I got PS4 a few years after it came out which is why it doesn’t seem as old to me as it does to a lot of other people. It’s starting to show its age now, but I’m still somewhat content with it especially since I play a lot of AA and indie games.

56 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, PS5 will be around for another 7 years so you have plenty of time. No interest in the Series X?

PS5 will be around for at least another 7 years, if not even longer. I plan on getting it when Grand Theft Auto VI comes out, because I want that game on day one. I don’t have any interest in Xbox Series X, because it doesn’t really have any exclusives that I’m all that interested in.

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I plan on getting it when Grand Theft Auto VI comes out, because I will want that game on day one.

This is breaking news! :p

I'm just playin but if I had a dollar every time you've said that I wouldn't be in the financial situation I'm in lol. 

• Haha 1

I am enjoying this a lot though and it became my current main game instead of Plague’s Tale as I had planned. That might have to come after GOW2 now.

I unlocked the knighthood for BatGirl so now I’m hookshoting and gliding through the city which makes traversal more fun, though I wish you could string burst off of buildings like in the Arkham games, unless thats an upgrade later. You kinda hook shot > leap > glide which is similar to Arkham, but you don’t leap off with the same speed and force.

I hear Nightwing has the best traversal method so I’m going to unlock it but I really don’t want to play as him compared to any of the others besides that.

But yeah, what can I say, it’s an open word 3D batman themed beat ‘em up, that’s kinda my jam so it’s got me.

I refunded it after an hour or so. It played exactly like how I imagined it would from watching it. Almost like playing video games for 30+ years makes it pretty easy to figure out how a game plays from even just a few seconds of footage unless something has gone terribly wrong.

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

I am enjoying this a lot though and it became my current main game instead of Plague’s Tale as I had planned. That might have to come after GOW2 now.

I unlocked the knighthood for BatGirl so now I’m hookshoting and gliding through the city which makes traversal more fun, though I wish you could string burst off of buildings like in the Arkham games, unless thats an upgrade later. You kinda hook shot > leap > glide which is similar to Arkham, but you don’t leap off with the same speed and force.

I hear Nightwing has the best traversal method so I’m going to unlock it but I really don’t want to play as him compared to any of the others besides that.

But yeah, what can I say, it’s an open word 3D batman themed beat ‘em up, that’s kinda my jam so it’s got me.

I have Nightwing traversal unlocked and I just unlocked Batgirl's last night. Nightwing definitely has the best traversal in game even before you unlock his traversal move as he's the most agile. I'm building him out to focus more on his acrobatics. I don't have a clear favorite yet... I alternate between the four characters each night. Just finsihed night 8 last night with Batgirl and I made pretty good progress with her. Got to level 17 and she's a pretty efficient brawler... probably the best one in the game. I'd say based on what I've played, she's played the most like Batman in the other games than the other three. I'm digging the game as well and I've even played  around with photomode a lot more than I have in other games. Would link some photos here if I can find a decent photo hosting site... any suggestions?

• Halal 1

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have Nightwing traversal unlocked and I just unlocked Batgirl's last night. Nightwing definitely has the best traversal in game even before you unlock his traversal move as he's the most agile. I'm building him out to focus more on his acrobatics. I don't have a clear favorite yet... I alternate between the four characters each night. Just finsihed night 8 last night with Batgirl and I made pretty good progress with her. Got to level 17 and she's a pretty efficient brawler... probably the best one in the game. I'd say based on what I've played, she's played the most like Batman in the other games than the other three. I'm digging the game as well and I've even played  around with photomode a lot more than I have in other games. Would link some photos here if I can find a decent photo hosting site... any suggestions?

Honestly the easiest way I found was creating a twitter just for posting screenshots since all the consoles link easily to it and let you post directly with just a few button presses. Then it’s easy to just copy the link on my phone and post it here.

But that might be banned here soon so idk what the new easiest way is :P

• Haha 1