Eiyuden Chronicle - Hundred Heroes (A Spiritual Successor to Suikoden) Coming April 23, 2024

Keyser_Soze

Heh. I was trying to find some place I gave Suikoden Tactics a rating (since it's been so long) I think IGN nuked their user reviews / ratings which is where it would be.

But I did find out I played it for 100 hours and it supports progressive scan!

https://www.ignboards.com/threads/any-rpgs-that-support-16-9.159775061/post-159858738

• 5 months later...
suikoden.jpg
NINTENDOEVERYTHING.COM

Suikoden came to be thanks to the ideas from Yoshitaka Murayama. He acted as director, producer, and writer on the series’ initial releases, but he also worked on later entries as well. Murayama ended up leaving Konami around two decades ago, but he’s not opposed to revisiting the series. Speaking with Nintendo Everything, Murayama mentioned that the new JRPG Eiyuden...

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, jaethos said:

I backed this. I'm glad to see them get a Gamepass deal, it means more money for a better game. They were always open about the Kickstarter being just that and that they would be working with a publisher for the rest of the funding.

Yeah, their initial goal was like $500k. This game doesn't get made for $500k. I mean, their $4.5m goal included a whole second game.

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

So many salty backers thinking Kickstarter is a store. The game still looks great. I don't think they had revealed the companion game on Kickstarter yet, so that's cool.

Just went through the comments

Salty GIF by memecandy

• 3 months later...

I'll play it depending on how much it's tied to the JRPG's story. It looks like fun, so if they're not that tied together I may check it out later.

And yeah, this is all likely detailed in the Kickstarter I backed, but I don't follow these things very closely. I usually assume the Kickstarter will be a failure I thought was worth rolling the dice on and then being pleasantly surprised when I actually get something  five years later.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Get it graded then sell it for millions of dollars.

I have quite a few unopened games and when I saw how much Mario 64 went for I got quite curious how much some of them would go for. Rez, Conker, Paper Mario, Advance Wars 2, and others. If some one wanted to give me a million for those I'd take it 

8 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I have quite a few unopened games and when I saw how much Mario 64 went for I got quite curious how much some of them would go for. Rez, Conker, Paper Mario, Advance Wars 2, and others. If some one wanted to give me a million for those I'd take it 

That mario 64 auction was a scam. Theres a great video about what was done, ill see if i can find it later.

I dunno how big of a trend it is, but I'm not sure I like these Kickstarter games releasing smaller games before the main game. While the only other one I can currently think of (Bloodstained) was very well received... I feel like the resources going into making even a simple side game could be much better spent making the main attraction that much better.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rising out today, you can play it on game pass

Game Information

Game Title: Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (May 10, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (May 10, 2022)
  • Nintendo Switch (May 10, 2022)
  • PC (May 10, 2022)
  • Xbox One (May 10, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (May 10, 2022)

Trailer:

Publisher: 505 Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 72 average - 57% recommended

Critic Reviews

33bits - Euyen Esquefa Pons - Spanish - 75 / 100

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is an interesting introduction to the world of Eiyuden Chronicle, where we will meet charismatic characters and will serve as a prologue to One Hundred Heroes. It mixes a gameplay that at times can be agile and fun, with lots of hours of repetitive fetch quests. Still, as I say, interesting introduction if you want to start meeting some of our companions in the main game.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 8 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

GameBlast - Farley Santos - Portuguese - 7 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a beautiful and enjoyable action RPG, but it doesn't dare too much. Combat, whose main concept is to instantly switch between heroes, is fast and agile. Besides that, the world captivates with impeccable visuals, charismatic characters and plenty to explore. Note that the focus is on exploring established concepts of the genre in a simplified way, making the adventure very accessible. However, this approach becomes the game's biggest problem with low challenge, repetitive missions and underused mechanics, which hinders the experience. In the end, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is satisfying and ideal for the undemanding players.

GameSkinny - Josh Broadwell - 6 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a charming if tedious RPG that probably shouldn't have been an RPG.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

With its to-ing and fro-ing and overly basic combat for its first hour or two, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. Those that stick with it though, will find a game that develops into something very enjoyable indeed. This is a charming adventure, with combat and platforming that grows ever richer with each new upgrade and ability you obtain. But it’s the world that’s the real star here. The story of Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising might not be all that grand, but it’s full of characters that we’ve already grown to love. And so, as a taster for Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, it does its job admirably.

Gamepur - Cameron Hawkins - 7 / 10

I really had no idea as to what information I needed to keep in mind going into Hundred Heroes. Rising felt more like a one-off story that just happens to take place in the same world. It’s actually something that works against Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising.

Gamersky - Chinese - 6.9 / 10

As a small-scale game placed there for warm-up, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising performs moderately well. This game features a small part of the world in Eiyuden Chronicle. It appeals to players with the elements of town construction and resources collection and also a somewhat interesting customized side-scrolling action and combat style. However, its combat system has certain drawbacks in details, the main quest is encumbered by its mediocre and incoherent structure, and the terribly translated Chinese texts make it difficult for players to understand the story.

Gaming Nexus - Eric Hauter - 9 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle is a quick and frothy good time - exactly the introduction to the Eiyuden universe that was needed to get players excited for the next game. Cool, lighting-fast combat, fun characters, and non-stop progression all combine to make this a title worth exploring. Consider my appetite for more from this universe to be fully engaged.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 6.5 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising has flashy combat and gorgeous visuals, but the repetitive gameplay loop really holds it back.

Hey Poor Player - Shane Boyle - 4 / 5

I went into Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising cynically expecting a title that would serve as nothing more than an appetizer for its bigger JRPG sibling that we can expect next year. I couldn’t have been more wrong as Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is much, much more than that. With its gorgeous art direction, stylish combat, and substantial content offering, it’s a game that arguably offers more than it needed to. If you can make it past the slowish opening act, you’ll find that Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a title that is more than capable of standing on its own, to the extent where I can’t help but recommend it, irrespective of whether you are excited for Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes or not.

IGN - Henry Stockdale - 7 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a fun companion to Hundred Heroes, offering a bitesize action RPG that stands up on its own merits.

IGN Spain - David Oña - Spanish - 6 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a two-dimensional action game built on the precepts of Japanese role-playing. It is an enjoyable "JRPG lite" that doesn't require a great deal of commitment, and presents an interesting and enjoyable universe in which you want to linger. A game that doesn't do anything wrong, but doesn't do anything particularly remarkable either, and which serves as a prequel to the eagerly awaited Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.

INVEN - Youngseok Yang - Korean - 8.3 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is the best game to start a new Eiyden Chronicle series. The game contains battle through link action, smooth sound, harmonious 2D+3D graphic design and well-balanced story. You can hardly tell that all of these are perfect, but the game has enough quality to enjoy without any concerns.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 70 / 100

Chalk this 2D action RPG platformer under the “charming and inoffensive” category of entertainment. At the very least, this diversion from the actual Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes game will at least be worth 10 hours or so of your time.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 6 / 10

It feels more like a long lost SNES game than a modern action role-player but that's clearly the point in this charming, if insubstantial, prelude to Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.

Nintendo Life - Lowell Bell - 5 / 10

Do you enjoy waiting for public transit in the rain? Could you bear sitting next to a screaming toddler on a transatlantic flight? Do you think you'd derive pleasure from chopping down trees in the Great Forest over and over again until you had enough light lumber to fulfil three or four requests? If so, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising has a delightful little adventure hidden beneath a lot of tedium just for you. If not, we wouldn't begrudge you for staying clear and hoping Hundred Heroes doesn't follow too closely in its predecessor's footsteps. This game certainly has charm, but it makes you work too hard for it.

NintendoWorldReport - Jordan Rudek - 6 / 10

The too-frequent backtracking, mind-numbing side quests, and overall lack of variety make for an experience that is tough to recommend. An unlockable hard mode, 50 in-game achievements, and the promise that Rising saved data will yield bonuses in Hundred Heroes are feathers in its cap, but Rising on its own is just too much of a slog. Here's hoping that Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes lives up to the success of being the number one video game Kickstarter of 2020 because its prequel certainly does not.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Buy

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a great in-between game, something that can be greatly appreciated after the deluge of heavy and tiring games from the past couple of months. Offering charming gameplay that is simple to pick up and understand, players will find some respite here that is easily worth the price of admission.

For some, the idea of countless fetch quests might be an immediate turn-off, and with such a simple core loop, the game does little to deviate or add something new to the mix. Instead, it doubles down on the basics, making it feel like a game that doesn't look like but plays similarly to previous console generations.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Cameron Teague - 7.5 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a good game that introduces you to a bright and colorful cast of characters and the world they inhabit. It’s short and sweet, with the main story missions costing me 10 hours, but it leaves just enough of an impression without overstaying its welcome. I do worry that it’s releasing a bit too early compared to the main entry and with a game focused around questing, it’s so disappointing how badly the questing system and UI is setup. There is also a lot of needless backtracking that could have been avoided. All that being said, it’s a good start and for those Suikoden fans out there, it brings out a lot of nostalgia and moments that feel like Suikoden. Great start from Rabbit & Bear, we can’t wait to see what’s next.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 8 / 10

A great start to what I'm hoping will be a great franchise. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising doesn't do anything to move the side scroller action RPG genre forward, but it does everything to make it fun. Rising reminded me a lot of old school 2D action platformers but with an entire town-building mechanic. It's also one of the most visually impressive indy titles I've seen in a while. Overall, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a great starting point for what's set to be an epic JRPG, with Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes releasing in 2023.

RPG Fan - Zach Wilkerson - 85%

While Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising may simply serve as an appetizer for Hundred Heroes for some, its excellent writing and characters, fun exploration, and fantastic sense of community make it worth playing regardless of its status as a "prequel."

RPG Site - Adam Vitale - 7 / 10

Rising is a satisfactory introduction to the world of Eiyuden Chronicle, with great characters, writing, and art. However, the game structure and combat have a hard time standing on their own.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Katharine Castle - Unscored

A tedious action RPG with more filler than an arc of anime, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising offers little to excite or challenge those awaiting its more exciting Suikoden successor companion, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.

Spaziogames - Marino Puntorieri - Italian - 7 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising lacks those master strokes that could have made it better, but it's enjoyable for 2D fantasy's lovers.

TechRaptor - James Bentley - 7 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a great introduction to the world that is in need of a lot more depth. Hopefully, we get that next year.

TheSixthAxis - Miguel Moran - 8 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising has a slow and snore-worthy opening hour, but hiding behind that repetitive introduction is an incredible blend of high-octane 2.5D combat and rewarding resource gathering gameplay. The icing on the cake, though, is the Marvel Cinematic Universe-worthy parade of character cameos and appearances that promise some of the many faces you'll be battling alongside (or maybe even against) once Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes comes out.

Too Much Gaming - Carlos Hernandez - 7 / 10

I enjoyed my time with Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising but as I was playing more of it, I kept thinking that this is a game that can be so much more. For both the narrative, its town building, level design, and combat – each one has a solid foundation in place but never takes it up a notch.

Twinfinite - Jake Su - 4 / 5

On its own, it is a capable action-JRPG that looks great, with solid combat and platforming to keep players distracted from completing repetitive quests, but as part of the larger universe, it lays an inviting foundation for what is to come with well-realized characters amid a larger unfolding conflict. And as someone hoping for that Suikoden magic to be recaptured, New Neveah becomes an irresistible world to spend time in.

Video Chums - Mary Billington - 8 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is an enjoyable 2D Metroidvania RPG with a fun town upgrade system. Combining the abilities of CJ, Garoo, and Isha to explore the corners of various dungeons is a treat and I'm now even more excited for the release of Hundred Heroes.

WhatIfGaming - Aim Nario - 8 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is an interesting game and it did not disappoint. Its strength lies in its superior visuals, simple gameplay, and compelling storyline. Surely it has its shortcomings like limited character cosmetic customization. However, it did not bother me at all due to the well-thought character designs.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 5.5 / 10

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a really good 6 hour game stretched to be nearly three times as long. If you find yourself loving it early-on then it might just hold up for you. Sadly I was done by then and had to force myself to go any further despite loving the story, writing, and characters. The gameplay eventually becomes something close to good, and it’s really damned pretty. For either $14.99 or a download on Xbox Game Pass it’s not the worst way to spend your time and money, but I can’t help but feel like the developers and Rabbit & Bear Studios bit off a little more than this game could chew.

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Eiyuden Chronicle - Hundred Heroes (A Spiritual Successor to Suikoden) (Eiyuden Chronicle Rising Out Now)
  • 2 weeks later...

That's right! Given recent speculation over the Nintendo Switch and potential next generation Nintendo iterations, we wanted to play it safe and investigate what options we had before fully committing to a Nintendo Switch version.

But now the wait is over and we're delighted to confirm that Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes will also be landing on Nintendo Switch!

Sounds like they know something we don't.

• 1 month later...

I’m playing Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising now, and enjoying it. It’s a charming and cute side scrolling 2.5D action RPG. It’s kind of basic, simplified and streamlined in design, so if you’re looking for a deep, engrossing and epic RPG experience this isn’t it. In fact, calling it a side scrolling action adventure platformer would probably be more appropriate.

I’m still somewhat early in the game, but I can kind of see how its core gameplay loop could become repetitive. However, I’ve been enjoying its story, cast of characters and gameplay enough to want to keep playing.

I would also like to point out that the game is only $15 (I got it on sale for $12), but it seems more like a game that would be $20-$30. I’m actually surprised by its low price based on the overall production quality of it. The 2.5D graphics are really good, and the game itself offers a lot of content.

I also mention its price because some critic reviews seem to treat it like it’s a full priced game instead of a $15 one, and that’s a bit unfair IMO. Of course I expect critics to review it for what it is regardless of its price, but I also feel that price should be taken into consideration for what you’re getting. You can’t expect the same from a $15 game as you can from a $60 one. And based on what I’ve played of the game so far, it’s worth $15 if not even a little more despite some of its shortcomings.

7 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I would also like to point out that the game is only $15 (I got it on sale for $12), but it seems more like a game that would be $20-$30. I’m actually surprised by its low price based on the overall production quality of it. The 2.5D graphics are really good, and the game itself offers a lot of content.

I also mention its price because some critic reviews seem to treat it like it’s a full priced game instead of a $15 one, and that’s a bit unfair IMO. Of course I expect critics to review it for what it is regardless of its price, but I also feel that price should be taken into consideration for what you’re getting. You can’t expect the same from a $15 game as you can from a $60 one. And based on what I’ve played of the game so far, it’s worth $15 if not even a little more despite some of its shortcomings.

(And also on game pass)

• True 1

I’ve played Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising for eight hours now, and I’m a little more than halfway through it. It took roughly this amount of time to get my third party member, for the combat to get more complex, to access more areas and for the challenge to ramp up.

Prior to reaching this point in the game it was admittedly somewhat repetitive with having to traverse the same few areas over and over again primarily gathering resources and materials for the townsfolk to build up the town with more establishments and shops. The combat remained fairly basic, and the game didn’t present too much of a challenge. Now that all of the town establishments and shops are built, I’ve gotten my third party member and have the ability to access more areas/dungeons things have definitely picked up quite a bit in terms of story, dungeon traversal and combat.

I can see how some people might quit playing before reaching this point due to repetition, but despite it being somewhat redundant I was still enjoying it. However, it has improved at this point focusing more on dungeon traversal and combat and less on gathering resources and materials to build up the town which a good part of the game is for a while.

• Thanks 1