Eiyuden Chronicle - Hundred Heroes (A Spiritual Successor to Suikoden) Coming April 23, 2024

Keyser_Soze

Developed by newly formed Rabbit and Bear Studios, Eiyuden Chronicle will feature “classic JRPG exploration” and turn-based battles with “high-resolution 2.5D graphics” and pixel-based characters. Like the Suikoden series, its spiritual successor will feature a massive cast of characters: 100 unique heroes in Eiyuden Chronicle’s case. Eiyuden Chronicle will also include a fortress-building and guild system, developers said.

The team behind Eiyuden Chronicle includes Suikoden series creator Yoshitaka Murayama (Suikoden, Suikoden 2), who is serving as the game’s director and scenario writer; Junko Kawano (Suikoden, Suikoden 4), lead artist; Osamu Komuta (Suikoden Tactics, Suikoden Tierkreis), working on system design and direction; and Junichi Murakami (Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow), working on art direction and production. Composers Motoi Sakuraba (Tales series), Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms series), and Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Xenogears) are also attached to the project.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/24/21337046/suikoden-spiritual-successor-eiyuden-chronicle-kickstarter

Just now, eggydoo said:

I never played more than the first two.  Are there any others that shine out there that are good?

Third game is a turd, fourth game is back to basics, but fairly dull, fifth game was overall really great, but it's also pricey, around $100. I really liked Tierkreis on DS. I never got around to Tactics, but it's supposed to be an average SRPG.

28 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Third game is a turd, fourth game is back to basics, but fairly dull, fifth game was overall really great, but it's also pricey, around $100. I really liked Tierkreis on DS. I never got around to Tactics, but it's supposed to be an average SRPG.

I've only halfway beaten the first and gave up on it.  Thanks for the breakdown, tells me what I need to know if I go back to it.  How much do these games build upon each other's plot lines?

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I've only halfway beaten the first and gave up on it.  Thanks for the breakdown, tells me what I need to know if I go back to it.  How much do these games build upon each other's plot lines?

There are recurring characters throughout the series, lore connections and such, but overall the games aren’t strongly tied. 1 and 2 are much more closely connected, the rest are basically their own thing. 

It’s been ages since I played these games. Over a decade. But from what I recall, you can pretty well play any of them on their own and understand what’s happening just fine. 

The first two games were among my all time favorite JRPGs. I really wanted to love the third, but they royally screwed up the battle system. I enjoyed the story because I’d read the manga beforehand. 

On 7/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'll definitely be backing this. I miss Suikoden so much.

Just makesm e happy the guy behind the first two games is working on it, so hopefully it'll be more like that instead of the turd that was III.

Definitely want this! 

Suikoden 2 is my all time favorite game...and the third one was brilliant :p 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Awful battle system, mediocre music, lackluster story. 

I don’t get how that game has any serious fans. 

Story wasn't horrible. I really enjoyed the 3 sided story. I will say it had a younger feel and less serious tone than the previous games. 

5 was pretty good as well, but 4 suffered from WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many random battles. You couldn't take three steps without a random battle. 

30 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Story wasn't horrible. I really enjoyed the 3 sided story. I will say it had a younger feel and less serious tone than the previous games. 

5 was pretty good as well, but 4 suffered from WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many random battles. You couldn't take three steps without a random battle. 

The story wasn't awful, but like I said, it was the battle system t hat ruined the game for me. Let's pair up your party to where you have no control over the movements of one of the pair, so they run up on their own and get hit by friendly fire magic attacks. Just moronic. I'd just recommend people read the manga if they're interested in the story. I'm still keeping my awesome and expensive official Suikoden III poster, though. :p

I let my husband play through IV. The battle system was way better, but overall it was ho hum.

We played through V together and I remember really liking it, but the ending seemed a bit of a letdown.

Tierkreis was a blast, though. I played through it during college on my own. Husband tried to play it later, but he hated the voice acting. It wasn't great by any means, but it didn't keep me from loving the game.

Konami really sucks for letting all these franchises lie dormant. At least the original devs are picking them up, though. Now if we could just get another Silent Hill game or a spiritual successor.

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Konami really sucks for letting all these franchises lie dormant. At least the original devs are picking them up, though. Now if we could just get another Silent Hill game or a spiritual successor.

Agreed, Konami has dropped the ball big time. I also loved the Vandal Hearts games. Pretty sure vandal hearts was my first strat rpg. I can still remember when I first played it, killing the first character and seeing a geyser of blood and laughing my butt off. 

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

Agreed, Konami has dropped the ball big time. I also loved the Vandal Hearts games. Pretty sure vandal hearts was my first strat rpg. I can still remember when I first played it, killing the first character and seeing a geyser of blood and laughing my butt off. 

I have both those, but never played them. I kinda keep meaning to, though.

I do wonder if they are planning to release on Switch as it lists current ps4/xbox1, ps5, xbox series s and then says Nintendo next generation console. They know something we don't?  

they talk about the possibility of a Switch 2, but I don't see that happening before the game launches...though who knows. If it can be done for ps4, you'd think Switch would be doable as well. 

Surprised to see Suikoden III hate. I love that game, and behind Suikoden II, is easily considered the next best in the entire franchise, generally speaking. It's a pretty hot take to hate that one I'd say. Otherwise though, I think this is the ranking as generally agreed upon by the fan community (from best to worst, with spaces indicating lower tiers): 

-Suikoden II

-Suikoden III

-Suikoden I

-Suikoden V

-Suikoden Tierkreis

-Suikoden Tactics

-Suikoden IV

I'd honestly only bother with the first three (II and III are legit good still), maybe V and Tierkreis. Tactics and IV are not good games.

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I've only played Tactics and it's pretty average game for a tactics game.

I tried 3 but at the time it was when voice acting was starting to wind up and I was too lazy to read so I never played much of it. :p

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Isn't "The Medium" filling up that void?

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Because ED isn't a "serious fan" you're talking to a guy who's favorite game is Advent Rising. :p

I was also referring to Greatoneshere, who seems to think I'm unusual and loves the game. I just want to know what people like about it. Even reading some reviews, they point out the major issues I had with it, yet it's still rated well. I don't get it.

Defend your claims, dammit!

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I've yet to read an explanation of why III is supposedly so good. At least I detailed why I disliked it. And I did beat it. Took 60 hours or so, but we got it done.

I mean for me personally - it was the the characters and intersecting storylines. I enjoyed the earnestness of the story and the diversity of not only characters but their stories that were being told (for the time it came out). My thoughts echo a lot of the more positive Suikoden fan reviews for the game on metacritic, if that helps any. I should note I haven't played the game in over a decade though. The game was definitely a bit grind-y, as I recall, but I dunno, it was a lot of fun and unique in its setting, etc. :p 

It's the highest rated Suikoden game by critics and the second highest rated Suikoden game by users on metacritic if those facts help defend my claim at all: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/suikoden-iii

32 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I was also referring to Greatoneshere, who seems to think I'm unusual and loves the game. I just want to know what people like about it. Even reading some reviews, they point out the major issues I had with it, yet it's still rated well. I don't get it.

Defend your claims, dammit!

Well @Greatoneshere will say he loved it because Michiru Yamane composed the soundtrack and she did the Castlevania music and directed by Yoshitaka Murayama who also was responsible for the first two Suikoden games so naturally this game is also amazing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean for me personally - it was the the characters and intersecting storylines. I enjoyed the earnestness of the story and the diversity of not only characters but their stories that were being told (for the time it came out). My thoughts echo a lot of the more positive Suikoden fan reviews for the game on metacritic, if that helps any. I should note I haven't played the game in over a decade though. :p 

It's the highest rated Suikoden game by critics and the second highest rated Suikoden game by users on metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/suikoden-iii

I'm aware of the scores. Which is why I said above that it baffles me when I read the reviews and they point out the same issues I had with the game, is they acknowledge the problems, yet still rate it high. Makes no sense. I appreciated aspects of the story. Like I said, I read the manga first, so I was really excited to play the game. I love the manga. But the game just wasn't fun to play. I think it's my most hated battle system ever in a turn based RPG because they broke what worked just fine. I think it's telling that they didn't revisit that system in subsequent games.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well @Greatoneshere will say he loved it because Michiru Yamane composed the soundtrack and she did the Castlevania music and directed by Yoshitaka Murayama who also was responsible for the first two Suikoden games so naturally this game is also amazing.

This kills me, too. Obviously, I love Yamane's work. And the opening theme to the game is freaking AMAZEBALLS. Then the rest is just...okay? I honestly can't remember one track in the game, except that opening theme. Meanwhile, I still recall tracks from the first two games with fondness.

Goddammit, Suikoden III is one of the most frustrating games in existence for me. Because I expected so much more and I got a turd.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm aware of the scores. Which is why I said above that it baffles me when I read the reviews and they point out the same issues I had with the game, is they acknowledge the problems, yet still rate it high. Makes no sense. I appreciated aspects of the story. Like I said, I read the manga first, so I was really excited to play the game. I love the manga. But the game just wasn't fun to play. I think it's my most hated battle system ever in a turn based RPG because they broke what worked just fine. I think it's telling that they didn't revisit that system in subsequent games.

This kills me, too. Obviously, I love Yamane's work. And the opening theme to the game is freaking AMAZEBALLS. Then the rest is just...okay? I honestly can't remember one track in the game, except that opening theme. Meanwhile, I still recall tracks from the first two games with fondness.

Goddammit, Suikoden III is one of the most frustrating games in existence for me. Because I expected so much more and I got a turd.

I definitely agree about the opening at least! So good. Great song too. 

As for the bafflement, I actually enjoyed the battle system (as obtuse as it was sometimes, and I recall the game being grind-y), so I think that might be the red line between us on this game since you really seemed to not like it haha. I'm not a huge and deep Suikoden fan though, so me loving III the most could just be because I'm more of a layman as a fan towards the series. So perhaps it was one of the more accessible entries maybe for others? Nice to discuss Suikoden with a real fan though, genuinely. Not a lot of us left.

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I definitely agree about the opening at least! So good. Great song too. 

As for the bafflement, I actually enjoyed the battle system (as obtuse as it was sometimes, and I recall the game being grind-y), so I think that might be the red line between us on this game. I'm not a huge and deep Suikoden fan though, so me loving III the most could just be because I'm more of a layman as a fan towards the series. So perhaps it was one of the more accessible entries maybe for others? Nice to discuss Suikoden with a real fan though, genuinely. Not a lot of us left.

Oh, I LOVE this series. My husband introduced me to it in college and we played through I, II, III, and V together during our college years, which when you think about it was an amazing feat since we went to different schools and only saw each other every couple weeks at best and I often worked when he was visiting me. I have soooo many fond memories. And we played them hardcore. I mean, we went for all 108 Stars of Destiny in all of them. I've got that poster that he tracked down for me for a birthday present one year, we've got figures from all the games, we've got the imports that never made it out of Japan, and assortment of other little collectibles, like official art cells OSTs, etc. My husband still has his copy of Suikoden II that he bought when it was new and as poor college students, we felt so damn lucky to have it, because even by then it was already really expensive. I'll never forgive Konami for letting this series and others go to waste.

But I will never praise that shitty battle system. I could have liked III well enough if they'd not fucked up the battle system. Mediocre music and all. Should've just left the battle system in place.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean for me personally - it was the the characters and intersecting storylines. I enjoyed the earnestness of the story and the diversity of not only characters but their stories that were being told (for the time it came out).

yeah, while it's been forever, the more I think about the more I remember enjoying the story, especially the female knight lead, but I do agree with CNut, the pairs fighting mechanic was a bummer. Of course 4's system was a bit of a bummer as well. I think it only let you have 4 characters in your party at the time, when all the other games were 6. 

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, I LOVE this series. My husband introduced me to it in college and we played through I, II, III, and V together during our college years, which when you think about it was an amazing feat since we went to different schools and only saw each other every couple weeks at best and I often worked when he was visiting me. I have soooo many fond memories. And we played them hardcore. I mean, we went for all 108 Stars of Destiny in all of them. I've got that poster that he tracked down for me for a birthday present one year, we've got figures from all the games, we've got the imports that never made it out of Japan, and assortment of other little collectibles, like official art cells OSTs, etc. My husband still has his copy of Suikoden II that he bought when it was new and as poor college students, we felt so damn lucky to have it, because even by then it was already really expensive. I'll never forgive Konami for letting this series and others go to waste.

But I will never praise that shitty battle system. I could have liked III well enough if they'd not fucked up the battle system. Mediocre music and all. Should've just left the battle system in place.

Damn! That's very cool - and I agree - Konami letting its franchises die is a damn shame. I was hopeful for Suikoden after the poor Suikoden IV and Tactics with the good Suikoden V and Tierkreis that we were gonna get even more, and better, Suikoden. It never came, sadly (until now, perhaps!). Your knowledge of the series definitely outstrips mine. :)

5 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

yeah, while it's been forever, the more I think about the more I remember enjoying the story, especially the female knight lead, but I do agree with CNut, the pairs fighting mechanic was a bummer. Of course 4's system was a bit of a bummer as well. I think it only let you have 4 characters in your party at the time, when all the other games were 6. 

Yeah, all the characters to me were just really memorable, and I felt very pulled in to the story, which felt very well paced. 

6 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I do wonder if they are planning to release on Switch as it lists current ps4/xbox1, ps5, xbox series s and then says Nintendo next generation console. They know something we don't?  

they talk about the possibility of a Switch 2, but I don't see that happening before the game launches...though who knows. If it can be done for ps4, you'd think Switch would be doable as well. 

This game isn't coming out for a couple of years. They're just assuming there will be some sort of major Switch revision in the next two years. That's probably a pretty good guess. The Switch will be 5 years old in 2022.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Surprised to see Suikoden III hate. I love that game, and behind Suikoden II, is easily considered the next best in the entire franchise, generally speaking. It's a pretty hot take to hate that one I'd say. Otherwise though, I think this is the ranking as generally agreed upon by the fan community (from best to worst, with spaces indicating lower tiers): 

-Suikoden II

-Suikoden III

-Suikoden I

-Suikoden V

-Suikoden Tierkreis

-Suikoden Tactics

-Suikoden IV

I'd honestly only bother with the first three (II and III are legit good still), maybe V and Tierkreis. Tactics and IV are not good games.

Hey, this is about right for me as well. Maybe swap V and Tierkreis for me.

IV was awful. Everything about that game sucked. I can't even get that janky running animation out of my head sixteen years later.