June 2020 NPD: The Last of Us Part II #1, already #3 for the year, "Go Woke, Go Broke" turns into "Go Woke, Records Broke"

SaysWho?

EdISRLWVcAE5h83?format=jpg&name=large

Headlines:

1. Hardware spending declined 17% year-to-year, the first decline since February 2020. Year-to-date spending increased 25% compared to a year ago, however, to $1.6 billion.

EdIS-d4UwAA-noA?format=jpg&name=900x900

2.  June 2020 spending on Accessories and Game Cards reached $417 million, increasing 29 percent when compared to a year ago.  Year-to-date spending has increased 15 percent, to $2.0 billion.  Both dollar sales totals represent all-time highs.

3. New dollar sales records for a June month were set across a number of Accessories categories including Gamepads, Headsets/Headphones, Steering Wheels and Controller Enhancements.

4. The Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller was the best-selling Accessory of June and 2020 year-to-date (dollar sales).

5. NPD says HW down YoY likely due to combo of stockouts/reopening. Ring Fit Advenutre's huge jump just from having stock. Hello P4G, it's been a while, good to see you again. TLOU2 month 1 exceeded my expectations.

6. The Last of Us Part II was a monster of a game. It's already the 3rd best-selling game of 2020, it generated the highest launch month dollar sales of any 2020 title, and it's the 2nd biggest launch for a Sony published game in history (Marvel's Spider-Man is #1). From NPD: "Quick note on time in market... The Last of Us: Part II did have fewer days in market in its launch month than Marvel's Spider-Man. The Last of Us: Part II launched Jun 19th with tracking through Jul 4th. Marvel's Spider-Man launched Sep 7th with tracking through Oct 6th."

EdISe1qUwAEH4zi.jpg:large

Top 20 Best-Selling Games:

1. The Last of Us: Part II

2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

4. Grand Theft Auto V

5. Mortal Kombat 11

6. Red Dead Redemption II

7. Ring Fit Adventure

8. NBA 2K20

9. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe

10: Minecraft Dungeons

11. Super Smash Bros Ultimate

12. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege

13. Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition

14. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

15. Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order

16. Borderlands 3

17. Need for Speed: Heat

18. P4G: Persona 4 Golden

19. Spongebob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom: Rehydrated

20. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

2020's Best-Selling Games So Far:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

3. The Last of Us: Part II

4. Final Fantasy VII: Remake

5. Grand Theft Auto V

6. NBA 2K20

7. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

8. MLB: The Show 20

9. Resident Evil 3

10. Madden NFL 20

Best-Selling Games for Last 12 Months Ending June 20:

2. NBA 2K20

3. Madden NFL 20

4. Borderlands 3

5. Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order

6. Grand Theft Auto V

7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

8. The Last of Us: Part II

9. FIFA 20

10. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe

For platforms:

Switch:

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

2. Ring Fit Adventure

3. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe

4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

6. XenoBlade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

7. Just Dance 2020

8. Pokemon: Sword

9. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

10. The Outer Worlds

Playstation 4:

1. The Last of Us: Part II

2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

3. Grand Theft Auto V

4. Mortal Kombat 11

5. Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition

6. MLB: The Show 20

7. NBA 2K20

8. Marvel's Spider-Man

9. Red Dead Redemption II

10. Final Fantasy VII: Remake

Xbox One:

2. Grand Theft Auto V

3. Mortal Kombat 11

4. Minecraft Dungeons

5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops II

8. Minecraft: Xbox One Edition

9. Forza Horizon 4

10. NBA 2K20

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

Amazing Ring fit is so high given that most people say they can't even find it,  And my god how in the hell does GTA V keep selling? Doesn't everyone already have a copy or two or three? :o 

Everyone has 5 copies.

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Amazing Ring fit is so high given that most people say they can't even find it,  And my god how in the hell does GTA V keep selling? Doesn't everyone already have a copy or two or three? :o 

I've mentioned this before but I believe buying a new copy of the game gives you the currency for GTA Online and it's cheaper to buy the game for the currency than to actually buy the currency.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But... none of those things "Went broke" except for Terminator possibly which Ironically enough, "Went woke" 30 years ago. Fanboys are idiots.

Yeah I don't even know if fanboy is the right word... just, people? 

The Last of Us 2 is funny because it pisses off people who hate "wokeness" and also the most "woke" people at the same time. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Terminator didn't fail because of "wokeness" it fails because it refuses to move past the formula of the second movie and keeps remaking the same movie over and over again. And the most recent one wasn't that bad.

They live in a bubble where things they dislike aren't watched or consumed much, so when they hear all the late night shows they dislike saw big ratings boosts, or newspapers they dislike get a bump in subscribers, or games/shows/movies they like earn tons of money, they'll pull their muscles doing mental gymnastics to convince themselves that these things are actually failing. When something does do poorly, they credit themselves.

37 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

They live in a bubble where things they dislike aren't watched or consumed much, so when they hear all the late night shows they dislike saw big ratings boosts, or newspapers they dislike get a bump in subscribers, or games/shows/movies they like earn tons of money, they'll pull their muscles doing mental gymnastics to convince themselves that these things are actually failing. When something does do poorly, they credit themselves.

BINGO.

The Last of Us 2 could've been nothing more than a fingerless Ellie Guitar Hero simulator and it still would've sold a bajillion copies. 

As far as the "Get Woke, Go Broke" philosophy goes, my take on it is that the reason these things fail is because they put "getting woke" above all else, including the things that make a movie actually good.

A decent example would be the latest Charlie's Angels movie. The series has always been about "girl power." It literally didn't need to be changed. (Also yes sexuality played a big part of it but they owned it and used it to their advantage). it should've been an easy win,  but they were so worried about their message that they forgot to make a good movie (or sign actresses that people actually gave a shit about).

The Last of Us 2, regardless of how you feel about the characters or story, still looks like was a good game. I can't comment on it much because even though I know the spoilers, I never had much interest in it. It looked like a constant downer of a game and it just didn't appeal to me. It was a struggle for me to even get through the first one.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:54 PM, EternallDarkness said:

Yeah I thought it had been but wasn't 100%

I know they're milking the hell out of V, but a next gen GTA6 with many more interior places would be really cool. That's a big part of what has me excited for Cyberpunk.