BMW pulling an EA - plan to create and release full-featured cars...but you'll need to pay to unlock features

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21311332/bmw-in-car-purchase-heated-seats-software-over-the-air-updates

Example given is subscribing for three months to heated seats.

So...I assume this will be hacked immediately. Or maybe they will get around this by requiring always-online access to work, and when you go through a tunnel you lose power steering or anti-roll features.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21311332/bmw-in-car-purchase-heated-seats-software-over-the-air-updates

Example given is subscribing for three months to heated seats.

So...I assume this will be hacked immediately. Or maybe they will get around this by requiring always-online access to work, and when you go through a tunnel you lose power steering or anti-roll features.

It's probably license based. So you'll buy a license and it ticks down until you renew with occasional verification checks. BMWs need service all the time so that can help with the verification, also depending on the terms you might only be licensing the features, therefore if you hack them you are stealing?

BMWs suck anyways. 

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So...I assume this will be hacked immediately.

LOL, they'll just immediately void your warranty and/or your service guarantee, even if it takes until the first time you bring it in for service for them to catch it.

BMW cars are pretty much heavily connected to the dealer as is (my car notifies the dealer when I need to bring it in for servicing). This is just going too far, i don't want further subscriptions. -.-

I like my X1 but I might be looking for a new brand when I get rid of this in a few years. I'm already pissed they're slowing their commitment to all electric vehicles in Canada (all electric works for me because I don't drive enough).

40 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

A philosophical question: does buying a BMW make one an asshole? Or is it that only assholes buy BMWs? Something to ponder. 

:hmm:

Often our consumer choices are a reflection of how you see yourself and how you want others to see you.