Future Proofing Your Next PC - Digital Foundry

Pretty sensible recommendations though honestly, I'd just sit tight until late Q3 to Early Q4 before buying anything. I'm currently running an i9-9900KS so I still on PCIe 3.0 but that literally does not and will not matter for around another year, by which time I'll probably be running the next generation of Ryzen (First AMD CPU since Athlon64!) and have more speed or cores than remotely required for gaming along with the upgrade to PCIe 4.0. I always run at least 32Gb of RAM so no issue there. And finally whatever Nvidia and AMD are cooking up for GPUs will clearly be pretty powerful simple based on the fact that the Xbox Series X GPU is essentially a main streamed 2070 super or 2080, so you know that This fall's new round of GPUs will easily dwarf the 2080 power level.

2021 should be a pretty good year for PC hardware as a whole, with Intel hungry to fight back in the CPU sector and full entry into the GPU sector. AMD will continue to set the pace and eat market share, and Nvidia will likely provide many new features to support its GPUs as while it enjoys the high end slot for PC gaming, its sort of the odd man out with AMD eating up most of the console lunch and enjoying a renaissance in the last year on PC. Nvidia has to keep coming up with reasons that its high end cards are "worth it" as by Christmas of 2020, Ray Tracing will be a bullet on everyone's box. This fact alone make me wonder if its true that they will add a co-processor to their GPU series this time around in a bid to remove the RT overhead cost on their cards and allow the main die to focus on traditional render. Should be fun to watch! :sun:

Speaking of the future, while AMD Mobo's (and later this year intel) have already implemented PCIe 4.0, PCIe 5.0 was formalized last May and PCIe 6.0 is due next year! Also, DDR5 will be showing up to the party in 2021!:epilepsy:

Edit: for reference, AMD has stated that they will begin PCIe 5.0 support in 2022 on their mobos. 

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Speaking of the future, while AMD Mobo's (and later this year intel) have already implemented PCIe 4.0, PCIe 5.0 was formalized last May and PCIe 6.0 is due next year! Also, DDR5 will be showing up to the party in 2021!:epilepsy:

Edit: for reference, AMD has stated that they will begin PCIe 5.0 support in 2022 on their mobos. 

dog computer GIF by collin

2 hours ago, foosh said:

I just bought a new PC case. I guess i should wait until winter to buy the guts?

Not necessarily, as the latest motherboards from both Intel and AMD will support at least one more future CPU generation.  So you could go super-budget on the CPU and GPU now, and upgrade those things later.

Although waiting is a good idea to let the market settle down.  Right now supply is limited, and demand is high.  Things are either priced more than they should be or running out of stock.

I think this will probably be my fastest GPU upgrade in a very long time. I'm currently running a 2080 Super, but I can't get 4:4:4 and 4K and Gsync@120hz without HDMI 2.1.

Having just upgraded to a Ryzen system at the beginning of the year, I don't expect the rest of the rig to need to improve for a while.

46 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I think this will probably be my fastest GPU upgrade in a very long time. I'm currently running a 2080 Super, but I can't get 4:4:4 and 4K and Gsync@120hz without HDMI 2.1.

Having just upgraded to a Ryzen system at the beginning of the year, I don't expect the rest of the rig to need to improve for a while.

I have those on my PG27UQ via Display Port :talkhand: 

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Well, my incoming LG OLED doesn't have DP, desafortunadamente.

It will support 60fps GSync/VRR @ 4k if it's a 9 or X series, however. I have a 2080 Ti and can confirm that you're almost never going to get over 60fps at 4k in modern games unless you're turning graphical settings way down. VRR really shines at fps that's unstable and bouncing in the high-40s to 50s as it makes it seem like it's a constant and stable 60fps in terms of smoothness. When I play in 4k on my B7 OLED, the difference is pretty jarring, TBH.

BTW - I wonder if a DP-to-HDMI 2.1 cable would allow 120hz VRR at 4k through a 2xxx series card?

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It will support 60fps GSync/VRR @ 4k if it's a 9 or X series, however. I have a 2080 Ti and can confirm that you're almost never going to get over 60fps at 4k in modern games unless you're turning graphical settings way down. VRR really shines at fps that's unstable and bouncing in the high-40s to 50s as it makes it seem like it's a constant and stable 60fps in terms of smoothness. When I play in 4k on my B7 OLED, the difference is pretty jarring, TBH.

BTW - I wonder if a DP-to-HDMI 2.1 cable would allow 120hz VRR at 4k through a 2xxx series card?

Its a CX, and for some reason I thought that you don't get VRR if you set it to 4K60, but I'd be happy to be wrong. Also though, the 4K performance is another reason I'll want to upgrade.

40 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Its a CX, and for some reason I thought that you don't get VRR if you set it to 4K60, but I'd be happy to be wrong. Also though, the 4K performance is another reason I'll want to upgrade.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-compatible-2019-lg-tv-available-now/

2560x1440 @ 120Hz for a 40-120Hz Variable Refresh Rate range

3840x2160 @ 60Hz for a 40-60Hz Variable Refresh Rate range

You just have to set the TV to 60hz in your nVidia Control Panel settings.