DLSS 2.0 Out now!

Keyser_Soze

Still has to be patched into the game.

I'll be looking forward to third-party tests, but it sounds like a pretty substantial upgrade. Considering the first DLSS could be matched by AMD using a simple image sharpening algorithm, I'd say it was in desperate need of a leap forward.

The next step is to turn this into a driver toggle.

Would love to see this implemented into the Battle Royale's on the market, like Apex.  I get blue balled when I see an enemy moving in the distance, which turns out to just be the aliasing on the edges of a tree branch.

And while they're at it can they use the Tensor cores to create AI that will just play the game for me?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Remedy's Control vs DLSS 2.0 - AI upscaling reaches the next level

Ultimately, DLSS 2.0 brings much better image quality to Control than it had previously, and there's no further hit to performance in doing so. The quality of the image reconstruction is so good, you'll have a hard time noticing whether it is on or off - and aspects of the image can look even better than native rendering, simply because DLSS doesn't feature some of the deficiencies found in some temporal anti-aliasing solutions. For future releases, I definitely would like to see an ingame slider to control the DLSS neural network resolve in order to get a grip on the edge ringing issues. In general, I would really like to see more developers investigating the integration of this image reconstruction technology into their game engines.

Over the years, we've examined pretty much every 'smart upscaling' solution on the market and based on the upscaling ratios we're working with here, DLSS is delivering the best mixture of image quality and performance improvements. Can a game running at the same ballpark resolution as PlayStation Vita really look as good as native 1080p? Play Remedy's Control on PC and believe.

It looks more and more like the combination of Tensor cores for DLSS and RT cores will be the future of gaming.

Over the decades we went from finally being able to render 3D in real-time better than a CPU (Voodoo), to being able to render at high resolutions with tons of geometry (8800GTX), to being able to render graphics barely discernible from modern film effects in 4k with a smooth framerate (2080 Ti).

Now we're generating graphics by guessing what it's supposed to look like based on aggregate data. That's some kind of mumbo jumbo bullshit I can't even wrap my head around.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

That's a good point. It does seem much more exciting for the low end than it does for the high end stuff.

High end stuff should still be exciting too.  4K DLSS realized in 8k?  That'll be wild.  Even 1440p to 4k is a great thing.

This does give a Switch successor a better chance of staying modern though.  Especially in handheld mode.  520p quite a low bar for even current Switch games to hit.  VR games too should have a good time with it too.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

For Nintendo to benefit from this, they will need to put something in their device other than a mobile-class APU.

Yes, but we also wouldn’t a Switch 2 for a few years likely.  I think Nvidia will cook up with something for them supporting DLSS in the meanwhile.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Agreed! I'm not seeing this at switch levels of TDP, at least not yet. 2022? 

I think you’re right. 

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes, but we also wouldn’t a Switch 2 for a few years likely.  I think Nvidia will cook up with something for them supporting DLSS in the meanwhile.

Will Nvidia put tensor cores in their mobile chips?  Dunno. 
Nvidia also doesn’t have a CPU business like AMD, and I don’t know if Nintendo wants to pay the $$$ in R&D to get Nvidia to do something custom. 

47 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think you’re right. 

Will Nvidia put tensor cores in their mobile chips?  Dunno. 
Nvidia also doesn’t have a CPU business like AMD, and I don’t know if Nintendo wants to pay the $$$ in R&D to get Nvidia to do something custom. 

They already did, Tegra Xavier has tensor cores. It’s 30w tdp currently but it’s built at 12nm (and can technically be built to 15w already). It’s not hard to picture an evolution with a shrink to 7nm at 7.5w that would work on a switch 2 by the time it comes out. I’d actually be surprised if the switch 2 didn’t have dlss.

43 minutes ago, stepee said:

They already did, Tegra Xavier has tensor cores. It’s 30w tdp currently but it’s built at 12nm (and can technically be built to 15w already). It’s not hard to picture an evolution with a shrink to 7nm at 7.5w that would work on a switch 2 by the time it comes out. I’d actually be surprised if the switch 2 didn’t have dlss.

That's an AI chip for robots/drones.  Why do you think it would be appropriate to run a handheld gaming console?

It’s also used in tesla cars so it’s already in consumer products. And I don’t think they would use that exact chip, whatever they will use is probably not made yet, but the thing is it’s a mobile apu in the tegra line that already exists with tensor cores. 

Any advances in the tegra line will mostly be because of its use for ai driven products with switch as a side bonus. They have a long term deal with Nintendo so it’s going to be Nvidia again, I don’t think they are going to just overclock the current chip so it will be something based off their existing line, which will likely have tensor cores.

idk you just seem hot on the idea of a switch 2 not having dlss for some reason when it doesn’t seem like a stretch at all.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Nintendo will probably cheap out and say they don't need it and you'll have to wait until next next gen to see them hop on board and realize they want it. :p

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s also used in tesla cars so it’s already in consumer products. And I don’t think they would use that exact chip, whatever they will use is probably not made yet, but the thing is it’s a mobile apu in the tegra line that already exists with tensor cores. 

Any advances in the tegra line will mostly be because of its use for ai driven products with switch as a side bonus. They have a long term deal with Nintendo so it’s going to be Nvidia again, I don’t think they are going to just overclock the current chip so it will be something based off their existing line, which will likely have tensor cores.

idk you just seem hot on the idea of a switch 2 not having dlss for some reason when it doesn’t seem like a stretch at all.

If they launch the Switch 2 in 2025, I'm sure it will have DLSS.

While I think we're getting pretty far off topic, I do wonder when we will see a significantly more powerful Switch. We could see a 3DS situation where it's effectively a whole new generation, but remains backwards compatible, or a Xbox One X style upgrade. Either way, I think it's safe to assume that a new switch will remain compatible with existing switch titles and it'll still be a portable system. That almost certainly means it'll be an ARM based system, but not necessarily that they'll stick with nVidia.

It does make me wonder what you need to make DLSS work. With Wolfenstein you have Uber textures and Ray Tracing and what not to turn on and train the AI against, but DLSS 2 is running with a single training network for all games. Does that mean that in a hypothetical switch 2 with DLSS 2.0, you could make a game that doesn't have any higher quality assets available, like Pokemon, and it could improve the image quality? Would you just train the AI with a dev version with a bunch of post processing turned on? That would be an awesome way to do "enhanced modes" on older games.