Alienware shows concept model of windows based "Switch"

Mr.Vic20

I suppose some people do want portable gaming, but there's nothing very interesting to me about this. There's something off putting about single purpose PCs in general to me. It's like a switch, but with the overhead of windows and without any custom chips to take advantage of the form factor. 

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I suppose some people do want portable gaming, but there's nothing very interesting to me about this. There's something off putting about single purpose PCs in general to me. It's like a switch, but with the overhead of windows and without any custom chips to take advantage of the form factor. 

Yup! This is a very niche prototype that could, if they actually make it into a product, would be going up against things like the Win GP series, the always discussed but never launched steamboy,  and a host of other custom Eastern computing novelties. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup! This is a very niche prototype that could, if they actually make it into a product, would be going up against things like the Win GP series, the always discussed but never launched steamboy,  and a host of other custom Eastern computing novelties. 

Give me an hlg potato or give me death! 

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Does the Switch have a custom chip? I thought it was some generic ARM bullshit that phones use. I know Digital Foundry is constantly amazed that "real life video game runs on the Switch" but it has hardly impressed me in any significant way.

1 hour ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Saw the video last night and both my youngest wanted it only because it would let them play Roblox on a Switch like device.  They and their age cohort desperately want to play it on their Nintendo Switches . Roblox like digital crack for pre-teens.

That would be a really genius angle to take with this. Advertise it to adults as their PC games and other functionality on the go, but Roblox on the go for kids. Roblox is still unimaginably popular, my daughter has me checking for it on the Switch at least once a week. Roll in some Minecraft with that (it's available on the Switch, but let em know it's on this thing too) and maybe you start actually gaining some market share. Offer what no one else can.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Does the Switch have a custom chip? I thought it was some generic ARM bullshit that phones use. I know Digital Foundry is constantly amazed that "real life video game runs on the Switch" but it has hardly impressed me in any significant way.

It's mostly bone stock Tegra that they grabbed off of nVidia's back shelf because they desperately needed to get the console out the door. Still, it's a chip that was always designed to be a mobile gaming platform. It's biggest sin is that it's just old, but it at least does well enough on thermals and battery life. This alienware thing, like the many that have come before it, would almost certainly just be running some random intel laptop processor.