Chrono Cross released 20 years ago today in Japan

SaysWho?

I enjoyed it for the most part.  It lacks some positives of the original CT, but I appreciated the risks it took.  Square needs to attempt a new one.

Until then, if you ever want a sequel, play Baten Kaitos Origins.  It's a better game IMO.  Took CC and BK1's somewhat messy combat systems and turned them into something magnificent.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

So were the Americans who correctly voted for McGovern. :p 

Uhhh. Okay?

Anyway, not saying it’s a bad game. It’s a decent JRPG and I need to complete it someday. But as a follow up to one of the top JRPGs of all time and a game that’s considered among the best games of all time, in any genre, it’s lacking. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Uhhh. Okay?

Anyway, not saying it’s a bad game. It’s a decent JRPG and I need to complete it someday. But as a follow up to one of the top JRPGs of all time and a game that’s considered among the best games of all time, in any genre, it’s lacking. 

I don't get what was hard to get about the comparison lol.

I honestly felt CT was lacking when I played it. Then I played Cross and I fell in love with the battle system, world and music in a way that Trigger did not do for me. I wish the thread I made when I first played CT still existed because I was on my own island in that thread. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, not liking one of the greatest games of all time is a bit odd. But there are always a few outliers.

Anywho, I'd still say my favorite part of CC was the opening theme. Still among the best in gaming.

PS: I got the comparison, I just felt an obscure political note was a bit odd, but whatever floats your boat! :)

It was an odd comparison. :p 

It wasn't that I disliked it; it's that much of the game felt really standard in its battle themes and music. When that thread existed, everyone talked up the soundtrack, but I felt it was nowhere near as memorable as other praised 90s RPGs like FF6 or 7 in the soundtrack department. On its own, it did its job. But the minute I hear the Arni theme for CC, I just knew I was in for something special.

Besides, I don't mind being in the minority of people who thought CT was aight. You think Seinfeld is lame, and you're in the minority, but you're your own person and can like or dislike anything you want! :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Eh, sitcoms in general bore me and I find most of them unfunny. It's not just Seinfeld.

Golden Girls is where it's at. The only sitcom I've ever truly enjoyed.

So here's a story you may enjoy:

In 8th grade, we were playing this game in band class where the band director would play some piece of music on the stereo system and two teams tried to be the first to guess what show or movie it was from. At that point in my life, I had watched Golden Girls with no pretense as to what demographics usually watched it. So he starts playing a song, and the minute I heard, "Thank you for being..." I went, "Ooo, ooo, Golden Girls!" There was silence in the room, everyone slowly turned to me, and then at least half the class started laughing at me. While this was happening, a girl in my section sincerely said, "It's okay! I watch it, too!" and I felt even weirder. Apparently, it was "gay" at the time to watch it as a boy. =\

She came up to me after class and we both agreed that when you watched it, it really wasn't that bad of a show. And considering how many dudes think Betty White is awesome, I consider that moment one of my finer ones. :p 

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's crazy, I remember not too long ago, y ou could  get brand new copies on eBay for around $10. One of those games they overproduced.

Oh I know it's common and one of my local retro shops has copies around for sale. You can also buy them off square's online store right now. I just didn't expect to find a bunch of square ps1 games for sale randomly one day at EBGames. The people working there were not even sure why they showed up.  So I kind of figured why the hell not (I don't have a copy anymore), I also got a copy of FF9 since they had that one as well.

CT is so, so good. It's still a great game and one of the best I've ever played. The only thing CC really got right as a sequel to CT was the music. The music was a perfect step in the right direction. Everything else just slightly missed.

Shyof possibly the best JRPG of all time didn't make for a bad game, but the things that it lacked really hurt it as a sequel.

I still argue that CC would be more widely loved if it had nothing to do with CT and was just an odd, little, one off game. I don't really get Square. CT gets two sequels and one of them is a visual novel with the other being a JRPG that is nothing like CT.

Are there any other games that do the Time Travel, affect the future based on choices you make in the past, the same way Chrono Trigger does? I know there are a lot of games now with decisions you make that affect story, but do any deal with time travel, and being able to alter time in the past to greatly change the future? It was such a cool mechanic, I replayed Chrono Trigger so many damned times due to that. 

18 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Are there any other games that do the Time Travel, affect the future based on choices you make in the past, the same way Chrono Trigger does? I know there are a lot of games now with decisions you make that affect story, but do any deal with time travel, and being able to alter time in the past to greatly change the future? It was such a cool mechanic, I replayed Chrono Trigger so many damned times due to that. 

It actually takes the concept a bit further than CT.  Overlapping storylines / dead ends where you jump across multiple timelines.

It's also a fantastic game.

11 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I still remember this great little exchange I had with one of my best friends who was a huge Chrono Trigger fan and talked to me while I played it for the first time.

I forget the name of some of the creatures in this game, but there was this shop where the shopkeeper thing charges you an obscene, unaffordable amount of money for everything. I messaged my friend, "Dude, wtf, this guy is charging, like, a million dollars for every item, what a ripoff! Why's he charging so much?" and he goes, "Then fix it."

"Uh... sure, dude." He never elaborated what he meant by fix it. But I eventually fixed it.

Then I learned that anything wrong in the world can be made right.