Tokyo Vice: Season 2 (HBO) - Official Trailer

As interesting as this show is, it would be VASTLY better if they excised the entire storyline involving the American hostess and her generic Slavic friend whose characters are so mind-numbingly boring that I can't even be bothered to remember their names.

For me, whenever that storyline appears on-screen, the show grinds to a halt and my eyes start to glaze over.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:50 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Episodes 6 and 7 were released last night. The thickening plot is starting to thicken.Season should be wrapped up next week I think, right? There's only three episodes left and they may release all three next week. I like this model of releasing more than one episode a week.

As far as I can tell, it's an eight episode series so there's one left - perhaps it will be far longer than the others?

• True 1

14 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As interesting as this show is, it would be VASTLY better if they excised the entire storyline involving the American hostess and her generic Slavic friend whose characters are so mind-numbingly boring that I can't even be bothered to remember their names.

For me, whenever that storyline appears on-screen, the show grinds to a halt and my eyes start to glaze over.

It's actually loosely based on a case the author was involved in. She was a hostess who ended up murdered by a Yakuza member (and her family fought for like a decade to punish the killer). It was what "Made" Adelstein in the Japanese newspaper business.

• Halal 1

Well, I had always assumed this was a limited series, but it's clearly season 1 of a TV show. The finale is great but only works as a season finale, and is awful as a series finale. We didn't even get back to the opening that takes place two years later from episode 1. 

The show has yet to be renewed for a season 2 but color me surprised. Really enjoyed the show and with the way things were building makes sense to do a season 2, hope we get it.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tokyo Vice (HBO Max) - renewed for Season 2
  • 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tokyo Vice: Season 2 (HBO) - debut in February 2024
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tokyo Vice: Season 2 (HBO, 08 February 2024) - Official Trailer
59 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Was this worth watching? 

Absolutely. Michael Mann directed the pilot, setting the style and tone of the show, and they got some premium directors to do the other episodes.

58 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes, it absolutely is provided you can tolerate the boring as all hell parts with the American hostess and her generic Slavic friend.

Basically.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder to everyone the first two episodes of this ten-episode season dropped last Thursday (with one new episode coming out each Thursday following). Interesting they expanded season 1's 8-episode length to 10 episodes, which I think will allow the show some breathing room given how fast paced season 1 was. Anyways, the first two episodes are really good - very engaging, streamlining out the weaknesses of season 1 while focusing on the strengths. Episode 1 takes care of most of the cliffhangers from the end of season 1 (except whatever's going on with Tozawa) and episode 2 has a three month time jump which really helps to push things forward to new places. I also continue to appreciate this was shot in Japan and many scenes consist of people just speaking Japanese, including our two white characters. I really hope people support the show, it's something different that's being done at a high level. I could honestly just watch episodic stories of Jake covering other stories (as he does in episode 2) and hanging out with Ken Watanabe if the yakuza stuff with Sato wasn't also so engaging. The A.V. Club liked the first half of the season (which was all that was shown to critics), a fairly strong review. Tagging people from this thread who might be interested:

@Commissar SFLUFAN

@skillzdadirecta

@johnny

@Dre801

@_BJ_

WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Max's crime series returns with a more methodical, gripping, and atmospheric outing.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Like @Jwheel86, I'm also one episode away from being caught up and am genuinely enjoying the living heck out of this season and its well-paced (at least so far!) narrative momentum...except when anything involving the American hostess is on-screen.  This continues to be the least-engaging part of the show for me and could easily have been excised to give more space for something like @Greatoneshere's suggestion of a greater "episodic" approach of Jake covering individual stories apart from the overarching yakuza narrative through-line. 

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Like @Jwheel86, I'm also one episode away from being caught up and am genuinely enjoying the living heck out of this season and its well-paced (at least so far!) narrative momentum...except when anything involving the American hostess is on-screen.  This continues to be the least-engaging part of the show for me and could easily have been excised to give more space for something like @Greatoneshere's suggestion of a greater "episodic" approach of Jake covering individual stories apart from the overarching yakuza narrative through-line. 

If you read the real guy's wiki and the book's wiki you'll kind of understand why they included that entire plot in the show. There is 1 major and 1 spoilers in it fyi. 

Just now, Jwheel86 said:

If you read the real guy's wiki and the book's wiki you'll kind of understand why they included that entire plot in the show. There is 1 major and 1 spoilers in it fyi. 

I have zero doubt that it's central to Jake's overall story, but that doesn't exactly make me "like" it any better!

After watching the third episode of the current season, I have to say that the series' greatest strength is that it's supremely confident and competent in what it sets out to do: be a damned solid crime drama set in mid-90s Tokyo. 

The show definitely doesn't strive to attain the heights of what constituted the now-gone era of "prestige/peak television", but that's very much to its credit as it doesn't even attempt to allow its reach to outstretch its grasp. 

It knows exactly what it wants to be and it goddamned well executes it pretty near-perfectly!

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tokyo Vice: Season 2 (HBO) - Official Trailer

Speaking of the Yakuza.....

WWW.JUSTICE.GOV

Damian Williams, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York; Matthew G. Olsen, the Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department’s National Security Division; and Anne Milgram, the Administrator of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (“DEA”), announced the issuance today of a Superseding Indictment charging TAKESHI EBISAWA with conspiring with a network of associates to traffic nuclear materials from...

• Sicko Sherman 1

On 2/19/2024 at 8:14 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

After watching the third episode of the current season, I have to say that the series' greatest strength is that it's supremely confident and competent in what it sets out to do: be a damned solid crime drama set in mid-90s Tokyo. 

The show definitely doesn't strive to attain the heights of what constituted the now-gone era of "prestige/peak television", but that's very much to its credit as it doesn't even attempt to allow its reach to outstretch its grasp. 

It knows exactly what it wants to be and it goddamned well executes it pretty near-perfectly!

I agree with this.  I also think the dedication to shooting on location and using (to my eye) very minimal effects really elevates this above lots of other modern television for me.  This is my only appointment viewing.

• Halal 2

19 hours ago, _BJ_ said:

Man I love this show. Just saw S2E5 and what an ending!  Haven't read up on the real story and will keep it that way, but I'm curious what happens with Samantha. 

Hah!  I got a chuckle from the parts of this recent episode that kinda/sorta turned into scenes from "The Wire" :lol:

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's episode slowed down the pace just a bit, but it was definitely worthwhile to see Jake's relationship (such as it is) with his family.  It just further solidified my opinion that Jake is really quite the asshole.

Between this show and Shōgun, it seems that high quality, Japan-centric television is having a bit of a moment!

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...