A Mother's Warning If You Have White Teenaged Sons

I saw this report last night and was struck by how I've seen a lot of the same coded language and tactics online myself... on this board sometimes too.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/us/california-mother-warning-white-supremacists-soh/index.html

Joanna Schroeder has a warning for parents of teen and tween white boys: If you don't pay attention to their online lives, the white supremacists will.

"They've studied the way that our young men interact online, and they have looked at what these boys need," she said. "And they have learned how to fill those needs in order to entice them into propaganda."

That's what she found when she asked her own teenager if they could go through some of his social media together.

"He was scrolling quickly, really quickly," she said. "It was so fast, and he slowed down, and I saw an image of Hitler and I stopped him, and I said, 'Wait, is that Hitler?'"

It was. A meme depicting Hitler and implying a time traveler would have tipped him off about the future to keep him alive had popped into the boy's Instagram suggestions.

"I know my kids understand Hitler, but as I scrolled through his [social media] I saw more memes that joked about the Holocaust and joked about slavery," Schroeder said. The impact, she said, seemed to be "desensitizing our kids to things we should be sensitive to."

Schroeder decided to dig deeper with her sons, one a teen and the other a tween, when she heard them saying words that had been used by trolls against her.  As a writer who has published pieces about men's issues among other topics, Schroeder has suffered online criticism and abuse from those who virulently disagree with her. "I know that the people who bothered me and harassed me and made my life miserable for all these years are influencing my kids," Schroeder told CNN. "These are my sweet gentle boys saying this stuff." 

But she was jolted when she heard her elder son talking about being "triggered."

"You'll hear this from your conservative uncle, and you may also hear this from a kid that's getting a lot of alt-right messaging online — that everyone's too sensitive today," she said. "That is entryway kind of terminology. It's not racist. No, it's not. But it's often used against people who are calling out racism or sexism or homophobia."

Here's her tweet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Because I live with someone who suffers from a case of SEVERE PTSD (fortunately, she is doing MUCH better now), nothing rouses me to murderous anger faster than hearing the word "triggered" used in a flippant manner.

I think you should ban people who abuse it here, it’s really gross behavior.

25 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Do people really use it here that often? Maybe in an obviously facetious sense, but I can't recall a lot of instances where it's been seriously uses improperly. 

Not on this sub-board, but a lot of people on the gaming and entertainment boards do.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's a troll by right wingers complaining about why their racism, hate, ignorance, or bigotry is, shockingly!, offending people

Oh I know of those assholes using it just to be assholes, but even in common parlance it's being used because it's spread so much. I've heard people use it in place of "upset", "shocked", "angry", etc. even in a light hearted manner like, "oh man, I'm triggered" in regards to annoying things happening at work. 

7 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's a troll by right wingers complaining about why their racism, hate, ignorance, or bigotry is, shockingly!, offending people

Would have never known it was a “right winger” thing. Have pretty much only seen it used against conservative people on message boards.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

rofl.

I guess man. Just how I’ve seen it. Message boards, and news article comments are where I see it. I don’t really internet other than that, so really I don’t come across many conservative posters.

Edit: not saying it doesn’t happen the other way.

1 minute ago, Commodore D said:

I guess man. Just how I’ve seen it. Message boards, and news article comments are where I see it. I don’t really internet other than that, so really I don’t come across many conservative posters.

Edit: not saying it doesn’t happen the other way.

It pretty much started with the right wing, jesus, dude. The most commonly shared meme is a young, angry, liberal looking woman with the word TRIGGERED stamped over it. 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It pretty much started with the right wing, jesus, dude. The most commonly shared meme is a young, angry, liberal looking woman with the word TRIGGERED stamped over it. 

I don’t think I have ever seen that picture.

Message boards: here and gamespot (both left leaning). Edit: I use to mess with godlikeproductions, but their racism stopped being funny and original.

No social media.

Despite the origin of the triggered meme, from my experience, it was mostly used anytime someone got mad. 

Example:

"Dark Souls II is best Dark Souls"

NO IT ISN'T YOU FUCKING TROGLODYTE! DARK SOULS II IS FUCKING SHIT! IT IS LITERAL TRASH!

"Triggered"(which is often followed by)

I AM NOT FUCKING TRIGGERED 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Despite the origin of the triggered meme, from my experience, it was mostly used anytime someone got mad. 

Example:

"Dark Souls II is best Dark Souls"

NO IT ISN'T YOU FUCKING TROGLODYTE! DARK SOULS II IS FUCKING SHIT! IT IS LITERAL TRASH!

"Triggered"(which is often followed by)

I AM NOT FUCKING TRIGGERED 

This as well.

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Also the same culture that says "wow ur triggered" on online gaming forums is adjacent to the alt right millennials who were influenced by the gamergate shit

The woman who I quoted in the original topic definitely cited online gaming and gaming forums as being a hunting ground for Alt-right recruiters.