SCOTUS blocks census citizenship question (for now)

9 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I would rather have the decisions be in reverse if I had to have one or the other.

Been texting with my con law professor buddy as the opinions have been released and that is where we both landed.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Paraphrasing someone I saw on Twitter: Classic Roberts to issue one ruling that looks like a win for democracy (but actually may not be) to try to distract from issuing a massive turd of an opinion in another case.

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

Paraphrasing someone I saw on Twitter: Classic Roberts to issue one ruling that looks like a win for democracy (but actually may not be) to try to distract from issuing a massive turd of an opinion in another case.

Exactly.

Honestly, I saw this as the best case scenario with these two cases. That Roberts would make something of a 90/10 split that the media will laud as 50/50.

The moment Kennedy left the gerrymandering case was decided. Full stop, end of story. Kennedy himself might not have even went with it as he was, at best over the years, a little skeptical of gerrymanders.

So SCOTUS feeling a little pressure to not give the  whole store away to the GOP is as good as it was going to get. If this keeps the question off the 2020 census, I count that as a win at a time when nothing better was realistically going to happen.

Yeah, the initial takes on this seemed far too confidant that Trump wouldn't do a 180 on his previous claim that the census must be set by June 30th because that would be totally hypocritical. Of course Trump is going to do that.

The question is if there is enough time for them to fabricate an acceptable excuse and get it before Roberts. I think it may come down to whether Roberts just wants cover to rule in favor of Trump next time, or if he thinks this whole thing is a step too far.

Because it seems like a totally subjective thing that Ross could now go back and fabricate a justification that is acceptable. The time crunch means that even a competent administration would probably have trouble running the process to reach a valid conclusion.

15 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Here's a good breakdown of why it will be pretty difficult procedurally for Trump to get the question on the census.

The last part is especially interesting imho, it explains how the smoking gun evidence wasn't even considered in the current ruling, but will have to be going forward.

Stupid lower courts, fucking it up for Roberts. :(