F-35 B/C variants have more critical flaws.

Both burn their stealth coating off during supersonic flight and can become uncontrollable during steep maneuvers, the A variant continues to be the only one worth a damn.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/america-is-stuck-with-a-dollar400-billion-stealth-fighter-that-cant-fight

One problem cropped up during test flights in 2011, Defense News reported, citing the trove of military documents. In the 2011 tests, at least one F-35B and F-35C both flew at speeds of Mach 1.3 and Mach 1.4. A post-flight inspection in November 2011 revealed the F-35B sustained “bubbling [and] blistering” of its stealth coating.

Further supersonic tests in December 2011 revealed structural damage on an F-35C resulting from the extreme heat coming from the plane’s single Pratt & Whitney engine, one of the most powerful fighter engines ever made.

To avoid similar damage, the military has limited F-35B and F-35C pilots to flying at supersonic speed for less than a minute at a time.

But that could make it impossible for aviators to keep up with, or avoid, Russian and Chinese fighters flying faster than the speed of sound without any restrictions. “It is infeasible for the Navy or Marine Corps to operate the F-35 against a near-peer threat under such restrictions,” Defense News paraphrased the documents as saying.

The test reports Defense News obtained also reveal a second, previously little-known category 1 deficiency in the F-35B and F-35C aircraft. If during a steep climb the fighters exceed a 20-degree “angle of attack”—the angle created by the wing and the oncoming air—they could become unstable and potentially uncontrollable.

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The F-35 PMO is located two floors below where I work.  I have to bite my tongue to not laugh hysterically at their personnel whenever I encounter them in the elevator.

I'm assuming their floor must be a 24/7 party because they're clearly not doing their stated jobs.

• Haha 2
  • True 1

My favorite part of these articles is where it lists all the corrective actions being taken to address these deficiencies. Because if you're reading the right articles, they have these parts. 

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/the-pentagon-is-battling-the-clock-to-fix-serious-unreported-f-35-problems/

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/a-fix-is-coming-for-a-problem-that-left-two-f-35-pilots-in-excruciating-pain/

I'm confident these will be addressed in a satisfactory way. 

Also, before the F-35, there was the C-17. It was plagued with issues and derided in the press. And now it's fine and the backbone of our transport air arm. 

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Can’t link to the banned bird app, but…

ApNewsroom_Texas_Base-Failed_Landing_983
WWW.MILITARY.COM

An F-35B Lightning II crashed during a vertical landing at an air base in North Texas, forcing the pilot to eject from the aircraft on the runway.

Yikes.

Honestly impressed that you can pretty safely eject from an altitude of 0. I'm curious if the crash was pilot error or not, though.

26 minutes ago, CayceG said:

They're replacing the guns with long range hypersonic missiles. Thing is going to be a fucking beast. 

Short on promises it seems.

629d709a7bc6a80018b66663?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Experts consider the ship a failure, lacking many important features like anti-ship missiles and anti-submarine torpedoes.

I understand protecting your interests, but maybe be more picky how the money is spent.

7 minutes ago, unogueen said:

Short on promises it seems.

629d709a7bc6a80018b66663?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Experts consider the ship a failure, lacking many important features like anti-ship missiles and anti-submarine torpedoes.

Yes, the concept of the original design is a failure, but they're being repurposed to have more typical payloads and utility, IE more AA, Anti Ship, and cruise missiles, including hyper-sonic launchers.  This also goes for the LCS class, it appears the US military is done messing around with crazy new concepts.

27 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yes, the concept of the original design is a failure, but they're being repurposed to have more typical payloads and utility, IE more AA, Anti Ship, and cruise missiles, including hyper-sonic launchers.  This also goes for the LCS class, it appears the US military is done messing around with crazy new concepts.

I sure hope so. I'm no military expert, but if I'm choosing to spend billions of dollars on equipment meant to win wars, I'd probably go with "proven thing, but modern" over "amazing thing, if it works."

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Honestly impressed that you can pretty safely eject from an altitude of 0. I'm curious if the crash was pilot error or not, though.

Friendly reminder the F-35 ejects THROUGH the canopy instead of popping off the canopy first (because the brits insisted).