Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (05/21): Shadow of the Erdtree "Story Trailer"

5 minutes ago, Dimden said:

Yeah, it's what my earlier screen caps are from. Absolutely underground dungeon.

You could have gotten a tower shield if you beat the very first enemy you encounter :duckhuntdog:

Way too many Heater shields though without a lot to distinguish them by other than getting one that's 100% Phys Reduction and looks good. Right now I'm using Beastcrest Shield w/ Barricade Ash (reinforces Shield) and it's been good to me so far.

Which one? The Spider thing?

Finally decided to go take down Tree Sentinel. I think I got all of the bosses from the network test except Margit and the Dragon, which is up next. So today will be me farming a tower shield and then banging my head against MArgit after I kill the Dragon. Im actually giddy thinking about it. I get such a rush from boss combat in this game. At least the first 20 attempts anyway.

Im trying to be thorough, and a bit overpowered, but every time I move, I find something else. 

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Finally decided to go take down Tree Sentinel. I think I got all of the bosses from the network test except Margit and the Dragon, which is up next. So today will be me farming a tower shield and then banging my head against MArgit after I kill the Dragon. Im actually giddy thinking about it. I get such a rush from boss combat in this game. At least the first 20 attempts anyway.

Im trying to be thorough, and a bit overpowered, but every time I move, I find something else. 

I beat Margit last night. I'd suggest dodging his attacks instead of blocking unless you have very high poise.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I beat Margit last night. I'd suggest dodging his attacks instead of blocking unless you have very high poise.

Oh, definitely. The shield is more for when im exploring and fighting regular enemies. I expect it's too cumbersome for Margit. He's just going to require repetition, which im fine with. I don't think it will be super hard. Im lvl 24 and my long sword is +3. I should be able to chip him down quickly enough. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I’m working on that Cat Boss. Any tips?

Stay away, take opportunities, not risks. My biggest mistake with Bloodborne when I started was a fundamental misunderstanding of the game. I was constantly trying to be next to the boss so I could swing when he wasn't, but the key is to not do that, but to keep distance and swing when there is opportunity. It's ok for a fight to take a while, they are meant to.

That said, im not good at these games. Bloodborne was my first, and took me six months to beat, and Sekiro took me just over a year to beat. Ill probably play this game for a long time. I've never finished a Dark Souls game because I got into the series late, and bought them all on sale and never started any but the 3rd. 

So apparently the best running version of the game is the PS4 version on a PS5 😆 runs at a perfect 60. I might actually download it since the ps5 allows you to download both.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Has anyone gone to Siofra River? The trek down there is incredible.

I’ve gotten there but didn’t explore, crazy experience finding it. I decided to just bulrush through the area to get to the map fragment nearby then thought, ‘Might as well see what’s up’

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Also, this is both the easiest and hardest Souls game…Easy because of all the different options at your disposal, hard because putting Souls-caliber difficulty in an open world is no joke. 

Game is incredibly hard, but you can be prepared.

But fighting a whole camp out in the open is even harder than I expected, and bosses are insane.

24 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Also, this is both the easiest and hardest Souls game…Easy because of all the different options at your disposal, hard because putting Souls-caliber difficulty in an open world is no joke. 

Other than the bosses everything else is pretty easy depending on how you take them out.

When you go from that fort through that tunnel towards the castle, I saw it was a trap and went the long way around and just attacked from the back. There is like one guard in the back and you can stealth kill everything. Also, since the AI can't see very far and doesn't really care if they see a dead body it makes things super easy. The last thing to kill was that giant that jumps down and they are easy to take down if you ride your horse.

It would be interesting to see an evolution of this game where they upgrade the AI to detect dead bodies and maybe patrol the area.

18 minutes ago, Dimden said:

Yes, you get a straight sword and great shield from the encounter. Easiest way to beat it is to just roll a Samurai and use Mighty Shot spam.

Also, I love how you can look like you just committed mass murder and NPCs won't even be phased.

20220226001040_1.jpg

I mean, its a souls game, Mass Murder is the norm.

12 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Which is everyones favorite early ashes? I have the wolves, a jellyfish, a noble Sorceror, and Pack of Nobles or some such thing. What is everyone using? 

Wolves are good. Fast and do decent damage. Might have to level up FP if there are better ones.

42 minutes ago, Dimden said:

I switch between the Wolves and Wandering Nobles. Wolves are good for distraction and stacking posture damage. Wandering Nobles are good for ganking dangerous NPCs with big moves..

Btw, this is a decent spot for a low level farm, smithing stone farm and getting sorcery stuff early on if you didn't choose a magic based class at the start. You can also get a lantern and free up your off-hand.

Hide contents

Grace Site & Merchant who sells a Lantern, Sorcery Items, Arrows and a Crafting Manual

unknown.png

Farming Site for Smithing Stones (1) through (3). Can get 800-1000 runes per run, useful if you just need some runes quickly to stock up on arrows or something.

unknown.png

Evergaol that rewards you with a really nice, PvP focused Fire Spell. The thing is like launching the Sun at someone and then it goes Super Nova when you enter it's proximity. I've got 20 Vigor a decent fire defense with my current build and it can one shot me. Leaves a pool of fire as an after effect to prevent rush downs. Just take your time here, the boss can easily exploit impatient players and is pretty good at dodging ranged attacks. He's got a couple key openings where you can get off a quick spell or a couple of R1's. Without the fire spell, he would be a joke.

unknown.png

Edit: There is a path around the castle where the broken bridge is nearby. It's a long winding path, but it isn't difficult to traverse, and the enemies are mostly fodder. You can use that to get Lurnia Lake Shore before beating any story bosses.

Yeah, I got the lantern. I've been up there quite a bit. Ive unlocked large parts of the map. I think I got 4 map fragments so far. 

I just foght an Eard Tree Guardian with a friend. Even with two of us he was fairly challenging. Took down the dragon earlier, pretty easily by myself (easy as in 3 tries). 

I spent some time killing trolls (I thought they were giants. 

I think im level 25 or 26. We are both actually just taking a break before we target Margit here in a little while. 

My build is str/vigor/Endurance, so im not overly worried about magic stuff, at least with this character, anyway. I have a str 28 battle axe I want to use, so that is what im working towards now. Im str 21.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

@BloodyHell is it a must to craft items? I'm so confused with that.

I mean, i've crafted a few things, mostly I was more into smithing to improve my sword. But you're asking the wrong guy, @Dodger and others would know better. Im far from an expert, I just explore and look up info. The biggest thing is just to relax. Its only a game, so at worst you do screw up and do it again. 

Also, Google is your friend. This is a game where asking questions and sharing information is encouraged.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The game is very confusing. 

It doesn't hold your hand. Its BotW on steroids, but its also easy to find the information you need online. There a reddit full of people happy to help others, and a new Elden Ring wiki thats getting bigger by the day. Look stuff up if you need help.

At least early on crafting gets you consumables like arrows and fire bombs and such. You can definitely just buy arrows, but you can craft blood arrows, poison arrows, fire arrows, rope firebombs. I assume you can just buy all this but of course at different merchants you won’t remember who has what so the crafting part may be more convenient sometimes. Maybe later you can craft better shit.

Just now, Mercury33 said:

So far for Spirits I have Wolves, Jellyfish, Wandering Nobles, Noble Mage and I just found two undead warriors I can summon. Haven’t tried the last one yet. Also just found the Round Table. As someone who named their character Arthur I had the biggest fucking smile on my face. 

Nice. I haven't seen the roundtable yet, or the warriors. I have the others.