Illinois House sends recreational marijuana legalization to governor

The state Senate on Wednesday moved Illinois a step closer to joining the 10 other states that have legalized recreational marijuana for adults.

With a bipartisan 38-17 vote, senators sent the House a measure that would legalize possession of up to 30 grams of cannabis for people 21 and older for personal use beginning Jan. 1 and direct Gov. J.B. Pritzker, a proponent of legalization, to pardon people with past convictions for low-level pot possession.

“We know prohibition is not working,” Sen. Heather Steans, D-Chicago, a longtime sponsor of efforts to legalize cannabis, said during a committee hearing earlier Wednesday. “It’s time to come up with a better policy. We want social justice, safety for our kids and the state to realize additional revenue.”

The measure now goes to the House, where a majority of members signed on as co-sponsors of a resolution calling for more deliberation on the issue. Those signatures came long before the latest version of the proposal was unveiled late Tuesday night and the bill moved quickly through the Senate Executive Committee on a 13-3 vote, advancing it to the full chamber.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-met-illinois-marijuana-legislation-senate-20190529-story.html

llinois is one signature away from joining the 10 other states that have legalized recreational use of marijuana.

With a bipartisan vote of 66-47, the House approved a bill Friday that would allow residents age 21 and older to legally possess 30 grams of cannabis, 5 grams of cannabis concentrate or 500 milligrams of THC contained in a cannabis-infused product. Nonresidents could possess 15 grams of cannabis.

Gov. J.B. Pritzker, who campaigned for office on a promise to legalize pot, is expected to sign the bill when it reaches his desk. The Senate approved it Wednesday.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-met-illinois-recreational-marijuana-legislation-20190531-story.html

Legalization has stalled in New Jersey and New York. It would be neat to see at least one state make it to the finish with a governor willing to sign it.

Update: Illinois breaks the losing streak this year and will become the first legislature to legalize a commercial marijuana market.

The question in Illinois was settled Wednesday night when the Senate approved recreational use of marijuana after universal home cultivation of the plant was replaced by a provision allowing only medical-marijuana patients to grow their own.

Legalization legislation from two Chicago Democrats — state Sen. Heather Steans and state Rep. Kelly Cassidy — got off to a much better start this year than in the past because of the November election of Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker, who campaigned on legalizing recreational marijuana.

But pushback over policing homegrown pot forced Steans to jettison her original plan allowing cultivation for personal use before Wednesday's Senate OK. Now, only the state's 65,000 medical-marijuana patients would be allowed to grow at home. The measure needs House approval by Friday's scheduled adjournment and Pritzker's signature before Illinois would become the 11th state to allow recreational pot use.

Steve Stelter, who heads the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police, said law enforcement would be hard-pressed to monitor compliance in people's homes.

"We're not going to walk up to a house and peek in the windows everywhere. How are we going to know?" asked Stelter, who heads the police force in the Chicago suburb of Westchester.

I'd rather people being allowed to home grow, but this is a great step.

Also:

In Vermont, Bernie Barriere is allowed to tend to two mature plants in a Bennington basement. He said he can grow higher quality and less expensive cannabis for his health and wellness than he can buy.

Are all you fuckers in Vermont named Bernie?

Congrats to Illinois, but too bad that home grown weed is “only for medical marijuana patients” I wonder how many will submit for a medical marijuana license to do it legally. Worked great with my wrist surgery and growing more for myself, but mostly for my mom now. She needs to have a knee replacement done and said she would go with the weed over the pills

I'm just curious how they're going to handle people from St. Louis driving across the river.

It's legal in Illinois, decriminalized in St. Louis, but illegal to transport across state lines.

I'm guessing it's going to be as easy as driving across the river and buying it, but will have to see how this shakes out. (I live in the suburbs of St. Louis, but Illinois is like a 20 minute drive for me...)

5 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm just curious how they're going to handle people from St. Louis driving across the river.

It's legal in Illinois, decriminalized in St. Louis, but illegal to transport across state lines.

I'm guessing it's going to be as easy as driving across the river and buying it, but will have to see how this shakes out. (I live in the suburbs of St. Louis, but Illinois is like a 20 minute drive for me...)

That's pretty much how it works in DC/VA (at least from what I understand from my friends who buy it there and bring it to VA)

29 minutes ago, ort said:

Local and state cops don't have to enforce federal law. I'd guess it'll depend on how big the possession ticket in St. Louis is, whether Illinois legalizes an amount above the decriminalization limit in St. Louis, and whether the Missouri state police get involved.

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That's pretty much how it works in DC/VA (at least from what I understand from my friends who buy it there and bring it to VA)

I mean, what D.C. cop is going to bother tracking purchasers out of their jurisdiction and what Virginia cop is going to be hanging out in D.C. on duty? 

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I mean, what D.C. cop is going to bother tracking purchasers out of their jurisdiction and what Virginia cop is going to be hanging out in D.C. on duty? 

Obviously the VA cops aren't going to hang out in DC. But with Colorado for example, some of the neighboring states' cops grab people driving back from Colorado.

56 minutes ago, Jason said:

Obviously the VA cops aren't going to hang out in DC. But with Colorado for example, some of the neighboring states' cops grab people driving back from Colorado.

Unlike CO, it's a major metro area so the cops presumably have better things to do.

5 hours ago, ort said:

I stay not to far from chain of rocs so it will be a quick ass drive for me dart in dart out  but i also grow my own

20 hours ago, Jason said:

Local and state cops don't have to enforce federal law. I'd guess it'll depend on how big the possession ticket in St. Louis is, whether Illinois legalizes an amount above the decriminalization limit in St. Louis, and whether the Missouri state police get involved.

I think the legal limit for out of town purchasers in Illinois is half an ounce. I'm pretty sure the legal (decriminalized) limit in St. Louis is 3 ounces. I believe the law is that if the police catch you with less than 3 ounces and you've committed no additional offenses, they just move on. I don't know if they confiscate or not, but they won't charge you with a crime.

One of my friends is a city cop and he tells me police don't give two fucks about weed. They're glad to not have to deal with it anymore.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Has it officially been signed yet? 

And this will be the first legislature-passed recreational legalization, right? 

Members of the Illinois House passed the bill by a vote of 66 to 47 after the Senate approved the legislation earlier in the week by a 38-17 vote.

The measure will now go to the desk of Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker, who campaigned on marijuana legalization and reiterated Friday that he would sign the bill.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-05-31/illinois-lawmakers-approve-marijuana-legalization

Why do you think he isn't going to sign it?

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Has it officially been signed yet? 

And this will be the first legislature-passed recreational legalization, right? 

He ran on it and he been lobbying for the bill. It hasn’t been officially signed yet though. 

Vermont legalized personal possession and cultivation of the flower through the legislature, but not a market. Illinois will be the first to legalize a commercial market for adult general use through the legislature. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

He ran on it and he been lobbying for the bill. It hasn’t been officially signed yet though. 

Vermont legalized personal possession and cultivation of the flower through the legislature, but not a market. Illinois will be the first to legalize a commercial market for adult general use through the legislature. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about Vermont since they didn't legalize sales.