One plus 7 Pro

I really can't get over this screen. There are definitely some quirks about Android that I'm really not a fan of (why are so many navigation buttons on the upper left???), But the screen, no notch, and how fast this phone unlocks are amazing. 

It's also really nice to have the Google apps working like they're supposed to, such as GBoard, Waze, etc. I've also found I actually prefer Google News to Apple News. 

This is rather hilarious--the Apple Airpods actually work better on my OnePlus than they did on my iPhone. And someone made an app that perfectly replicates the connection UI for the iPhone, and displays the battery life for each earbud and the case. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 10:30 AM, Emblazon said:

I really can't get over this screen. There are definitely some quirks about Android that I'm really not a fan of (why are so many navigation buttons on the upper left???), But the screen, no notch, and how fast this phone unlocks are amazing. 

It's also really nice to have the Google apps working like they're supposed to, such as GBoard, Waze, etc. I've also found I actually prefer Google News to Apple News. 

Upper left nav buttons??? Are you running vanilla Android?

For Facebook all nav is at the top (on iPhone it's bottom), Chrome has tab selection at the top (I immediately switched to the Samsung browser); basically, the greater majority of back arrows are in the upper left. 

And One plus doesn't have a single handed mode. On top of that, I despise Android navigation buttons and have my phone set to gestures (where Oxygen OS is second only to iPhone)--it's nice that you can go back by swiping up from the right side of the screen, it's just not 100% accurate for me. 

I really like the implementation of "Home, Back", especially the app switch part, but it puts way too large of a chin on the screen and a lot of times it adds a light background instead of matching the color of the current app. So if I have an app set to dark mode, and there's a light grey chin at the bottom, it's a huge eyesore.

But my complaints are all minor, iOS has its issues, too, and overall I'm loving this phone. 

7 minutes ago, vaxick said:

Does Oxygen OS have the gesture navigation Google designed for Android 9.0?  I've grown to really enjoy it on my Pixel 3XL. 

There are three options:

• Traditional Android Nav, with optional nav hiding

• A hybrid of traditional and gestures--a Home "bar" and a back button

• Full gestures

For the most part, gestures work really well. It's not quite as smooth as iOS, but it's not so much worse that it's an issue. I actually really like the hybrid option, if I had a way to make the background invisible when in apps. I'm sure gestures will get better over time. For those who have used all the different versions, though, they say the Oxygen gestures are second only to iOS. 

Yeah, 9 has a home bar and a back button for in apps.  It works solidly and I'm sure will be improved over time.  Can't comment if the Pixel has any exclusive features of its own.  It's ironic at this point though seeing how so many features of iOS and Android were stripped right from WebOS, you'd think they would have fully cloned its brilliant gesture system.

22 minutes ago, vaxick said:

Yeah, 9 has a home bar and a back button for in apps.  It works solidly and I'm sure will be improved over time.  Can't comment if the Pixel has any exclusive features of its own.  It's ironic at this point though seeing how so many features of iOS and Android were stripped right from WebOS, you'd think they would have fully cloned its brilliant gesture system.

It's really something else how smooth the Home/Back gestures are compared to the full gestures. 

21 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Does the 7 do wireless charging?

It does not. Which doesn't bother me in the slightest. The Warp charging is amazing. My phone went from 50% to over 90% in the span it took me to take a shower and get dressed... under 20 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Emblazon said:

It does not. Which doesn't bother me in the slightest. The Warp charging is amazing. My phone went from 50% to over 90% in the span it took me to take a shower and get dressed... under 20 minutes. 

That's pretty nifty. I've grown to need wireless charging though. I have a wireless charger on my nightstand, my home office desk, and my work office desk. I love being able to just plop down my phone and pick it up because I get up and move around a lot in the office.

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

I'm still rocking a 4yr old phone and debating getting a new phone and saw this model pop up more than once when doing research.  Are these brands typically only sold online?

They were originally just a little start up offering almost flagship specs for a much cheaper price. They have gotten a lot bigger over the years though, I think Verizon carries their phones now. 

18 hours ago, Nokt said:

They were originally just a little start up offering almost flagship specs for a much cheaper price. They have gotten a lot bigger over the years though, I think Verizon carries their phones now. 

I have Verizon and checked.  They do not at this time.  Looked it up on Google and looks like there are some compatibility issues with Verizon as well.  I'm the type of person that has to see and feel a phone before I buy it.  Maybe i'll just get that new mid tier Pixel.  My smartphone needs are pretty basic.  I only use my phone to call, text and surf the web when bored.  I do want a better camera on it.

The OnePlus 7 Pro is exclusive to T-Mobile. You can also purchase unlocked versions directly from OnePlus. 

Custom lock screen gestures are awesome. For whatever reason, you can't change the lock screen shortcuts, but there are 5 custom gestures you can set up. So I have "V" set for flashlight, and "O" set to bring up my default Google Pay card. 

Apparently, one of the complaints about the phone has been battery life. I'm not entirely sure what these people are doing, but after a full day of use, my phone is sitting at 32% left with 6 hours of screen on time. That's crazy good battery life. And I have the phone set to 90Hz and QHD+ resolution. 

23 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Apparently, one of the complaints about the phone has been battery life. I'm not entirely sure what these people are doing, but after a full day of use, my phone is sitting at 32% left with 6 hours of screen on time. That's crazy good battery life. And I have the phone set to 90Hz and QHD+ resolution. 

I think MKBHD stated you lose a good chunk of battery life from the 90hz screen. Swapping to 60hz gives you back a bit.

7 hours ago, Nokt said:

I think MKBHD stated you lose a good chunk of battery life from the 90hz screen. Swapping to 60hz gives you back a bit.

And I'm saying I'm using it on 90Hz and the battery life has been incredible. 

Of course, I'm always adjusting my brightness. I can't understand what's wrong with everyone's eyes who always have their phones on full brightness. 

6 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Of course, I'm always adjusting my brightness. I can't understand what's wrong with everyone's eyes who always have their phones on full brightness. 

I think it just pales in comparison to to other flagship phones and thats probably where peoples complaints are coming from. Here's a little list from Tom's Guide.

Phone Battery Size Battery Life (Hrs:Mins)
OnePlus 7 Pro 4,000 mAh 9:31
Galaxy S10 Plus 4,100 mAh 12:35
iPhone XR 2,942 mAh (rumored) 11:26
iPhone XS Max 3,174 mAh (rumored) 10:38
OnePlus 6T 3,700 mAh 10:23
iPhone XS 2,658 mAh (rumored) 9:41
Galaxy S10e 3,100 mAh 9:41
Pixel 3 XL 3,430 mAh 9:30

7 hours ago, Emblazon said:

It doesnt change brightness automatically?

38 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I think it just pales in comparison to to other flagship phones and thats probably where peoples complaints are coming from. Here's a little list from Tom's Guide.

Phone Battery Size Battery Life (Hrs:Mins)
OnePlus 7 Pro 4,000 mAh 9:31
Galaxy S10 Plus 4,100 mAh 12:35
iPhone XR 2,942 mAh (rumored) 11:26
iPhone XS Max 3,174 mAh (rumored) 10:38
OnePlus 6T 3,700 mAh 10:23
iPhone XS 2,658 mAh (rumored) 9:41
Galaxy S10e 3,100 mAh 9:41
Pixel 3 XL 3,430 mAh 9:30

Battery life is subjective:

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

It doesnt change brightness automatically?

I am not a fan of auto brightness, it always seems to be quite a bit brighter than I'd prefer. 

Also, the OP7P has a bigger screen, faster refresh rate, higher resolution, and smaller battery. And it still kills, thanks to the efficiency of Oxygen OS. 

Then you factor in just how fast this phone charges. This phone needs to (and should) sell in droves. 

#nonotchonme

57 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Battery life is subjective:

I am not a fan of auto brightness, it always seems to be quite a bit brighter than I'd prefer. 

I wouldn't really say subjective just extremely hard to compare directly. There are way to many factors at play. Screen brightness alone doesn't mean the same thing, certain panels will get much brighter than others and it doesn't look like he even sets screen brightness in that test.

I'm just trying to provide reasons why people might be upset.

21 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I wouldn't really say subjective just extremely hard to compare directly. There are way to many factors at play. Screen brightness alone doesn't mean the same thing, certain panels will get much brighter than others and it doesn't look like he even sets screen brightness in that test.

I'm just trying to provide reasons why people might be upset.

And I'm just giving the Apple reply, "they're using it wrong". :lol:

:p

• Haha 1

You guys really want a phone, you should pick up the new Palm Phone. I grabbed one as my second phone for work. Mostly because carrying two large panes of glass sounds annoying. I'm trying to remember how I ever thought a screen above 3" on a phone sounded so big.