What is a thought you are currently having?

Chris-

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

That even if I wasn’t fat and badly out of shape I’d never have the balls to go actual rock climbing.

Thats why you start small. I didn't just start on huge cliffs. It took me years to get good enough to do the things I do. But generally, theres nothing to be afraid of if you are with an experienced climber.  I havent hurt myself falling in years. 

If you are afraid of heights, thats different. 

The first time I took my wife clibing, she was terrified (we were freshman in college).  Now she rope solo's 5.11's and runs a climbing club at the school she teaches at. 

Although you are correct, fat/out of shape people can't climb. 

I was thinking about how while we typically think of backpropagation as an algorithm for computing gradients of non-linear functions, it might be more useful to think of it as a way to propagate search vectors. When framed like this, it makes us consider whether there are search vectors other than gradients that we should compute within the backward pass that might explore the space better. Indeed, we already do this to some extent since many of the functions we use are not differentiable everywhere and require us to use semi-gradients in place of the gradient. So why not try other mechanisms? If there is a general proof about the kind of search vectors that lead to convergence, that might also explain why the brain, which surely doesn't compute gradients, can be effective (and probably more effective than gradient-based optimization).

Lots of things. It wasn't my decision, but I wish my family hadn't decided to intubate my grandfather yesterday and if they'll be able to wean him off the vent. How I can explain to my aunt that a DNR doesn't mean he won't receive treatment and that CPR in that event would do more harm than good. But she can't - or won't - understand. I feel like she's over compensating for the time she spent feuding with him a few years ago. 

And I'm tired becsuse I slept like ass last night. 

• Sad 1

3 days off the wall because of horrible weather. The sun is shining today, and as soon as the ice stops falling from the top of the wall (probably by 11am), we are going to climb back up to our portaledges on the 9th pitch of the wall. Hopefully we can finish it before we have to leave Monday evening. Unfortunately we won’t get to do any of the secondary routes we wanted to climb. 

Those are my thoughts right now.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:22 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Lots of things. It wasn't my decision, but I wish my family hadn't decided to intubate my grandfather yesterday and if they'll be able to wean him off the vent. How I can explain to my aunt that a DNR doesn't mean he won't receive treatment and that CPR in that event would do more harm than good. But she can't - or won't - understand. I feel like she's over compensating for the time she spent feuding with him a few years ago. 

And I'm tired becsuse I slept like ass last night. 

And I mean, why would they listen to you, you’re just a nurse!

Scientific ignorance and deeply held beliefs are a huge danger to this country.