Cinemablend's Top Five Horror Movies of 2018

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I saw it a month before it came out in theaters... on Paramount's lot. One scary scene does not a horror movie make.

Well one of the genres it’s listed under is horror. I’m sorry but what disqualifies it. There are several scenes that could scare people or make them feel some type of dread. If it did nothing for you then it didn’t. 

On 12/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, johnny said:

Well one of the genres it’s listed under is horror. I’m sorry but what disqualifies it. There are several scenes that could scare people or make them feel some type of dread. If it did nothing for you then it didn’t. 

I don't object to Annihilation being classified as a horror movie even though I didn't think it was all that scary. I just wouldn't put it on this list anymore than I would put Upgrade... but I can speak less authoritatively on that one because I didn't see it. Annihilation felt more like a classic Sci-fi film to me :shrug: I think Bird Box should be on this list but most probably haven't seen it yet. It's as good as A Quiet Place if not better in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Annihilation is a fantastic movie, but nothing about it made me feel scared or terrified. Same with Upgrade (also a fantastic movie, just not scary).

Now Mandy, holy fuck the first half of that movie's sense of foreboding dread is scary. 

Haven't seen Halloween and Hereditary was very underwhelming to me, especially in terms of scaring me. 

I thought Annihilation was on the better side of decent overall but what it definitely had going for it was an interestingly creeping sense of Horror.

Nothing "scares" me in the boo-and-jump type of way at this point of having watched Horror flicks for like 25 years straight but the kind of implied body horror and corruption of our very being in Annihilation and similar stories still works on me. It's an aspect of existential dread and it can make me feel genuinely uneasy if executed well.