The Mariners

thewhyteboar

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

A’s have a -190 run differential. No sport has more owners that don’t give af about winning than baseball. The team should be taken from Fisher for this embarrassment. 

Revenue sharing was a bad idea when you don’t attach strings to it. The owners should force all teams to have a payroll floor equal to the revenue sharing figure, which in 2023 is over 110 million per club.

It always cracks me up this time of year how the teams who are favorites to be in the playoffs get all sorts of inked spilled over their issues and then you look at the standings and…basically all of those teams have top 7 or 8 records in all of MLB 😂

Sports journalism is largely terrible.

50 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It always cracks me up this time of year how the teams who are favorites to be in the playoffs get all sorts of inked spilled over their issues and then you look at the standings and…basically all of those teams have top 7 or 8 records in all of MLB 😂

Sports journalism is largely terrible.

True. Sports talk radio here are all over the Braves. You’d think they were in last place. I am concerned how they struggle with elite teams though. 

This was just fun. Jose Abreu, a dude who hasn’t struggled offensively in nearly a decade, has been one of the worst hitters in the league this year on a team that is trying to win a World Series. He’s had a front row seat to Yordan Alvarez mashing homers, with Kyle Tucker following his terrible at-bats. He went almost 300 plate appearances back to last year with out a home run.

Sure, it’s against the Triple-As, but it didn’t matter. He finally did it

Last night during the Astros/Twins game, Jeremy Peña had a little word after a called strike he didn’t like. The ump literally walked into the batter’s box and got into Pena’s face to tell him to stop chirping. The Astros hitting coach took exception with that and likely made some pointed comments, and naturally was thrown out for it.

The ump show has become a real problem in MLB, even separate from the actual bad calls. Finding ways to insert themselves into the game like a single person in the building or watching at home is there for them. It’s bad bad.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Last night during the Astros/Twins game, Jeremy Peña had a little word after a called strike he didn’t like. The ump literally walked into the batter’s box and got into Pena’s face to tell him to stop chirping. The Astros hitting coach took exception with that and likely made some pointed comments, and naturally was thrown out for it.

The ump show has become a real problem in MLB, even separate from the actual bad calls. Finding ways to insert themselves into the game like a single person in the building or watching at home is there for them. It’s bad bad.

And all of this is happening with Angel Hernandez missing. 

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The Bally's Sports experiment has failed. Now MLB.TV will take over all Padres games

135.jpg
WWW.MLB.COM

Fans can now watch all Padres games in-market both LIVE and on demand during the 2023 season through an MLB.TV Single Team Padres subscription.

Lololol. Sucks for you though 

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno as someone who doesn't have cable, if I was really into seeing Padres games $20 a month isn't horrible. 🤷‍♀️

Maybe good for people without cable then. Sadly the best part of being in AZ is being out of the Dodger market for MLBTV

Jon Singleton was a big time prospect in the Astros org in the early part of their rebuild after Crane bought the team. He was likely struggling with mental health issues for quite some time, and dealing with it smoking LOTS of weed. He ended up getting DFA’d, and has been working to get back into the bugs ever since. He got called up yesterday, snagged his first hit since 2015! 

congrats to him for sticking with it

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not saying the Mariners are cooked, but I don’t think they are very good, unfortunately 

I’ll copy and paste this from a tweet I saw:

The Mariners had a decent offensive core that needed to be improved and Jerry Dipoto acquired:

- The 7-hole hitter
- The worst 2B in the league who is having a “reset” on the bench
- A LHP-only platoon bat who’s hitting .150
- Tommy La Stella

Bleak, especially since supposedly they are the most profitable team in the sport. They’d rather win 83 games without spending much than actually try to go for it. 

Astros 14th rounder turned emergency 5th man in the rotation threw 7 innings of 1 run ball today. The player dev team is really good, especially the crew at AA Corpus Christi. The current Astros rotation has 3 DR guys signed for a total of like $25k, a 14th rounder signed for $10, and a couple of mid-rounders. I believe still the lowest ERA in baseball.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Astros 14th rounder turned emergency 5th man in the rotation threw 7 innings of 1 run ball today. The player dev team is really good, especially the crew at AA Corpus Christi. The current Astros rotation has 3 DR guys signed for a total of like $25k, a 14th rounder signed for $10, and a couple of mid-rounders. I believe still the lowest ERA in baseball.

And of course this morning the Astros beat writer at the Athletic is still whining (he has been since spring training!) that the Astros didn’t sign a major league free agent starting pitcher.

Best ERA in baseball.

4th best record in baseball

Basically rolling along with 4 rookies or nearly rookies. Maybe leave the front-officing to the clubs just keep killing it over and over in this regard 😂

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

And of course this morning the Astros beat writer at the Athletic is still whining (he has been since spring training!) that the Astros didn’t sign a major league free agent starting pitcher.

Best ERA in baseball.

4th best record in baseball

Basically rolling along with 4 rookies or nearly rookies. Maybe leave the front-officing to the clubs just keep killing it over and over in this regard 😂

Beat writers are the worst

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Alek Monah is legitimately bad at pitching baseballs right now. Brutal

He I think is injured and trying to push through it, but he needs off the rotation. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is also mental issue too. I hope to see him back in full dominant form, but he needs help first.  

Jacob DeGrom will likely not pitch again for the Texas Rangers until the 2025 season at the earliest as he will apparently undergo Tommy John surgery soon. Dude would be a hall of famer if he could have actually stayed on the field