Disney+/Hulu/Max streaming bundles (ad-free/ad-supported) to launch this summer

DEADLINE.COM

Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery are breaking ground in streaming with a bundled offering featuring Disney+, Hulu and Max in a single package.

Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery are breaking ground in streaming with a bundled offering featuring Disney+, Hulu and Max in a single package.

The companies are aiming to launch the bundle this summer. The exact launch date and the price point have not yet been announced, but plans call for both ad-free and ad-supported versions to be available.

The move is the first cross-company partnership for any of the top-tier services to come to market as the race to catch up with Netflix began in earnest about five years ago. It follows years of speculation and public musings by top executives about when cross-company bundling might begin to make streaming more cost-efficient for programmers and consumers alike. Churn, the industry term for how many subscribers cancel, has been a nagging problem for media companies long accustomed to the far more stable patterns of pay-TV, which was built on a foundation of long-term contracts and physical equipment. In the realm of direct-to-consumer internet businesses, a tap of an app can vaporize revenue, one of the many reasons why companies have been looking more closely at bundling.

Great, now just throw in

ESPN

MSNBC

CNN

HOME AND GARDEN TV

TURNER NETWORK TELEVISION

TBS NETWORK

HALLMARK CHANNEL

TLC

HISTORY

USA NETWORK

DISCOVERY CHANNEL

INSP

FOOD NETWORK

INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY

LIFETIME TELEVISION

HALLMARK MOVIES & MYSTERIES

TV LAND

A&E NETWORK

BRAVO

FX

AMC

WETV

GSN

FREEFORM

SYFY

PARAMOUNT

ADULT SWIM

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC

NICK-AT-NITE

ANIMAL PLANET

BLACK ENTERTAINMENT TV

TRAVEL CHANNEL

ESPN2

MTV

COMEDY CENTRAL

FOX SPORTS 1

NFL NETWORK

NBC SPORTS NETWORK

OXYGEN MEDIA

E!

DISNEY JUNIOR

CMT

HLN

LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK

DISNEY CHANNEL

NICK JR

VH1

SCIENCE

SUNDANCE TV

CNBC

NAT GEO WILD

OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK

FETV

BBC-AMERICA

HBO PRIME

IFC TV

MOTOR TREND

FXX

FOX NEWS CHANNEL

NEWSMAX TV

TRUTV

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

TUDN

THE CARTOON NETWORK

DIY NETWORK

POP

COOKING CHANNEL

REELZCHANNEL

UP

MLB NETWORK

GOLF CHANNEL

GALAVISION

HALLMARK DRAMA

TV ONE

SMITHSONIAN

SHOWTIME PRIME

FX MOVIE CHANNEL

FYI

NBA-TV

DISNEY XD

BOOMERANG

VICE

AMERICAN HEROES CHANNEL

UNIVERSO

NICKTOONS

DESTINATION AMERICA

GAC FAMILY

OVATION

BIG TEN NETWORK

STARZ PRIMARY

DISCOVERY EN ESPANOL

RFD-TV

STARZ ENCORE PRIMARY

ESPNU

FOX BUSINESS NETWORK

MTV2

TENNIS CHANNEL

FOX DEPORTES

AXS TV

DISCOVERY FAMILY CHANNEL

LOGO

NEWSNATION

TEENNICK

BET HER

UNIVERSAL KIDS

DISCOVERY FAMILIA

DISCOVERY LIFE CHANNEL

MAXPRIME

ESPN DEPORTES

OLYMPIC CHANNEL

THE COWBOY CHANNEL

BABY FIRST TV

FOX SPORTS 2

CNN EN ESPANOL

FUSE

JUSTICE CENTRAL

CLEO TV

PURSUIT CHANNEL

ACCUWEATHER

BEIN SPORT ESPANOL

NEWSY

BLACK NEWS CHANNEL

COMEDY.TV

BEIN SPORT

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sicko 1

My annual Max sub just renewed a month or two ago. If there will be some way to pay some fee to upgrade that and get ad free Hulu and D+ with it, I would consider it (but I’m not holding my breath).  

As it is now, I haven’t had D+ for at least 6 months and I haven’t missed it. For Hulu, I’m on some limited time $1 a month ad supported deal, which is enough for me because I don’t watch a ton on there. 

I had a similar initial reaction to this feeling like a return to cable.

But I think that's not true. We'd still be improved on

1. On-demand first. You're not beholden to some arbitrary schedule an executive made.

2. You don't have to scan through a bazillion channels to find something. The interface for on demand and the searchability is substantially better.

3. The on-demand content is much wider even than modern cable -- or at least was the last time I used on-demand cable options.

4. You can cancel and subscribe anytime.

5. Content is separate and agnostic to infrastructure. Switching to Version FIOS doesn't suddenly change how I'm getting my content or what I'm paying for the content.

6. No ads.

The sixth one is the most at risk of being lost. I don't love to see ad models creeping back in. I'm okay with it as long as there are ad-free versions. But if ads become mandatory, it will be a significant regression and will suck. I'm not happy that Amazon is experimenting with this and I'm deliberately not watching content with ads because I don't want to support it. That all said, the other items would hopefully remain at least.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, legend said:

But if ads become mandatory, it will be a significant regression and will suck. I'm not happy that Amazon is experimenting with this and I'm d

Sadly, only a matter of time. I think the best you may get is ads only at the front for a premium tier, and ads throughout for the base tier. 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, legend said:

1. On-demand first. You're not beholden to some arbitrary schedule an executive made.

2. You don't have to scan through a bazillion channels to find something. The interface for on demand and the searchability is substantially better.

3. The on-demand content is much wider even than modern cable -- or at least was the last time I used on-demand cable options.

5. Content is separate and agnostic to infrastructure. Switching to Version FIOS doesn't suddenly change how I'm getting my content or what I'm paying for the content.

6. No ads.

The sixth one is the most at risk of being lost. I don't love to see ad models creeping back in. I'm okay with it as long as there are ad-free versions. But if ads become mandatory, it will be a significant regression and will suck. I'm not happy that Amazon is experimenting with this and I'm deliberately not watching content with ads because I don't want to support it. That all said, the other items would hopefully remain at least.

I’m not sure about point 4. A number of services are leaning toward annualized subscriptions. 

Curious on pricing vs the current Disney+/Hulu bundle and if this version of Max gives 4k HDR/DV. I have Max via my HBO sub on Xfinity, but WBD decided to take away 4k HDR/DV from people who have their Max sub that way which is some real BS. Can’t even “upgrade” it to get it back, need to sub to their full ad-free subscription.

7 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

A number of services are leaning toward annualized subscriptions. 

If you cancel and pre-paid for the full year, most will pro-rate a refund if you ask. I recently cancelled Disney+ that I pre-paid for on a yearly sub to switch to the Hulu/Disney+ bundle as it’s way cheaper than paying for each individually and they refunded a pro-rate of 9 months to my CC.

23 hours ago, legend said:

6. No ads.

Streaming started going to shit with Netflix's first competitor, so any step back in the direction of one home for all digital things with a subscription is a positive in my book. Of course, this isn't really that as this will most likely just be a slight discount off the price of purchasing all three separately.