With the advent of a PS5 Pro, will the base and/or slim units get a price discount?

I've really wanted to get a PS5 for the past couple of years, but it's tough to justify at $500+ for me right now.  In previous generations, the introduction of different console models usually meant a good deal on the original/base consoles.  I'm curious if that will be the case or if it'll just be that the Pro model is a few hundred dollars more, and then the base console stays where it is price-wise.  For some reason, I feel like it'll unfortunately be the latter.  What's your take on this?  Will I be able to secure a more reasonably priced base model PS5 in the coming months?  Or be stuck as I always am replaying Dreamcast and Xbox games?

Well, there is the $400 disc-less version. “Best” I can see is the disc model going completely away to leave only one $400 ps5 base model with optional disc drive next to the (I’m guessing) $600 pro.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well, there is the $400 disc-less version. “Best” I can see is the disc model going completely away to leave only one $400 ps5 base model with optional disc drive next to the (I’m guessing) $600 pro.

That would be my guess as well. $400 standard with optional disc drive available to purchase, or a $600+ Pro.

Just now, Biggie said:

Uh has anything gone down? Everything is fucking expensive in todays economy. 

They actually raised the price in other countries! Shit ain’t going down.

• True 1

Friendly reminder that inflation's really high around the world and doesn't have much to do with how your president/prime minister is. I mean, the U.S.'s inflation sunk much faster than others after 2022, but we were caught in the same post-peak pandemic spiral as the rest of the world was.

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Friendly reminder that inflation's really high around the world and doesn't have much to do with how your president/prime minister is. I mean, the U.S.'s inflation sunk much faster than others after 2022, but we were caught in the same post-peak pandemic spiral as the rest of the world was.

Friendly reminder I was joking and never take anything I say as serious 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

na fam only reason why ps5 didn’t get a price raise in the US is cuz Biden said NO

exactly 

22 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t foresee anything dropping. 

I just had a burger w bacon, chicken sandwich, and garlic fries from Super Duper and I foresee something dropping 

• Hype 1

4 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Looks like the digital edition is $450 now from what I can tell.

Like I said, when they brought out the slim they increased the price of the digital version. And if you ever decide you want the disc drive then the cost of that makes it cost MORE than the one with the drive.

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Smaller PS5 design comes with 1TB storage for PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition; new model provides option to add an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive to PS5 Digital Edition.