Pepper Grinder contest!

If you play it on deck it’s the one game you gotta turn up the haptics for, which is system level. You need to feel the drilling it’s a big part of the experience. But after you need to turn it back to normal or you will quickly be annoyed by other games.

Oh and since this will be the OT for the game:

Game Information

Game Title: Pepper Grinder

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Mar 28, 2024)
  • PC (Mar 28, 2024)

Trailer:

Publisher: Devolver

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 79 average - 83% recommended

Critic Reviews

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 8 / 10

Riv Hester debuts with a platform game that starts from the best influences, but that knows how to stand out not for what it takes from others but for how it goes beyond its referents.

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 80 / 100

Pepper Grinder is a very fun ride. While the story is minimal to the point of being almost non-existent, the progression of each level is interesting, and makes traveling throughout the four main worlds captivating all players. The visuals are top-notch, and a great display of high-pixel art that makes it clear how talented its creator is at using colors. Along with this, the animations and the way everything shakes when you use the drill, it tells us about an attention to detail that shows the passion that Ahr Ech invested in his game.

But Why Tho? - Adrian Ruiz - 9 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a treasure trove of excitement and charm, beckoning players to sail into its captivating world and embark on a thrilling adventure unlike any other.

CGMagazine - Eduard Gafton - 8 / 10

Despite the occasional glitch and the fact that it is likely going to leave players craving for more stages to shred through, Pepper Grinder is a great “drillformer” that is definitely worth picking up and seeing to the end.

COGconnected - Michael Chow - 80 / 100

Overall, Pepper Grinder is a solid action platformer. It has a unique feature that helps set it apart from the rest, despite some points that still feel quite generic. Aside from some difficulty spikes, Pepper Grinder is relatively easy and short to get through. While sometimes games can feel a bit too short or too long, the game feels like it hits the right spot in terms of length. Sure, we’re starting to reach a point of saturation with indie 2D action platformers, but there is always room for innovative, fun experiences and Pepper Grinder fits that mould perfectly.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 7 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a good video game but it doesn't feel like a complete video game. The mechanic of burrowing away through different biomes is always satisfying as you make platforming leaps of faith between different bodies of ground. What exploration, world and mechanical growth is there is really strong, it's just limited and brief. Fun throughout but over before you know it, Pepper Grinder is a charming title that is just missing that extra little spice.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Pepper Grinder is another excellent addition to Devolver's catalogue, thanks to a brief runtime and exciting mechanics.

Cultured Vultures - Joey Rambles - 6.5 / 10

Pepper Grinder nails its mechanics, but its humdrum visuals and world-building stop it from being the modern indie classic that it could've been.

Digital Chumps - Will Silberman - 9.5 / 10

There’s more to Pepper Grinder than just digging. Ahr Ech successfully managed to cram fluid platforming and free-flowing traversal in ways that make its hallmark digging mechanics joyous while innovating in using the drill for other utilitarian purposes. Its 2D platforming is refreshing and rewarding when you settle into the groove of being able to move in every direction. I truly dug Pepper Grinder, and I sincerely hope that Ahr Ech continues to make fantastic retro platformers while also expanding the current universe of narwhal pirates. Hopefully those games come sooner rather than later.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - Unscored

Pepper Grinder is a beautiful game that surprises me with new and crazy ideas every couple of seconds. Moving around with the giant drill is fast, challenging, and satisfying. The intuitive level design guides me through the game with subtle hints and teaches me new gameplay mechanics without much explanation. The only thing that drags down the extremely fast pace of the game are the boss battles, which are a little too long.

After around four hours of drilling and jumping, I saw the end credits of the game. If I wanted to collect all the remaining items and unlock everything, I would add a few more hours. Despite the short playing time, I recommend the game to all fans of challenging platformers. It's a perfect gaming snack for a rainy weekend.

Echo Boomer - João Canelo - Portuguese - Loved

Devolver once again demonstrates why it is already considered a quality brand on the indie scene with one of the most entertaining games of 2024.

Entertainium - Eduardo Rebouças - Liked-a-lot

For what is on offer, there’s enough game to be had if you know what to expect coming in. It’s a cute game with a fun mechanic that is put through its motions well enough, but it lacks the depth to keep you coming back for more for more than the length of its campaign.

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - 4 / 5

Chug through the earth and navigate ingenious levels in this terrific platformer.

Evilgamerz - Peter Derks - Dutch - 8.7 / 10

Pepper Grinder may be a bit on the short side. However, just like Mega Man Purely to perfect every level. It's a short and powerful platformer with a lot of spice and a focus on quality instead of quantity. In a time where games are getting longer and longer, we can welcome this.

Fun Factor - Miguel Teixeira - Portuguese - 7 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a fun title with fluid and precise movement that makes its platforming and puzzle satisfying to clear. I'm a bit disappointed that the game is so short, as I feel like there could be more ideas and mechanics to explore here.

Game Informer - Charles Harte - 8 / 10

Pepper Grinder is an innovative indie experience, packed with tense battles, fluid platforming, and eye-catching visual design. While its short runtime left me wanting more, I'm happy with what it is: a bright action platformer that's anything but a grind.

Game Rant - Shane Robert Moyer - 3.5 / 5

Pepper Grinder does a good job of making players feel like their skills are progressing as they play through the game. It does sometimes feel like a grind, but there are enjoyable aspects to Pepper's adventure that should be tried. The drilling as a travel tool is neat, and the boss monster's designs and fights are entertaining, but the fun seems to fizzle out a little too quickly. Still, despite this and the game's sometimes frustrating controls, Ahr Ech set out to create something a bit different. And while some aspects come up short, some players will find things worth drilling through to discover.

GameBlast - Farley Santos - Portuguese - 7.5 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a creative platformer that uses its unique drilling mechanics across an impressive variety of stages. The mix of fast-paced action, exploration and puzzles results in a stylish adventure full of exciting moments. The various ways to use the drill, from crossing obstacles to controlling vehicles, guarantee a diverse experience from start to finish. However, the game falters with control precision issues and frustrating blind jumps, introducing an element of trial and error that can be irritating; despite this, it manages to offer a satisfying journey, with its few extras serving as an additional incentive for the most dedicated. Furthermore, Pepper Grinder is an adventure that, despite its flaws, entertains with its creative design and unique mechanics.

GameGrin - Alana Dunitz - 8.5 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a unique and challenging title that has you drilling through everything to recover your stolen treasure. With great visuals and jazzy music, this is a title to check out!

GameLuster - Nairon Santos de Morais - 10 / 10

Pepper Grinder is simply one of the greatest 2D platformers I've ever played, thanks to movement that is absolute perfection and endless creativity that allows for constant reinvention in every single new level you enter.

GameSpew - Kim Snaith - 8 / 10

If you revel in a challenge and like the idea of a platforming game that offers something totally different, you’re going to absolutely love Pepper Grinder. When it’s all going right, few games feel as satisfying to play as this: there’s nothing quite like powering up your drill to dive through the ground, popping out to jump through the air before landing into a well-placed drill again. Sometimes it’s perhaps a little too tough, but even when Pepper Grinder’s not at its strongest, we couldn’t pull ourselves away, desperate to eventually succeed.

GameSpot - Steve Watts - 8 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a brief but frenzied platformer that finds myriad ways to build around its inventive central hook.

Gamer Escape - Eliot Lefebvre - 8 / 10

At a $15 price tag, it feels like a light weekend thing, something you can drill through in a few nights of idle play and then pick up again whenever you have a hankering for something similar. That’s… what it wants to be. And so I have to kind of give it up for that. There are frustration points, sure, but if you like this style of platformer it simultaneously doesn’t feel like something that’s been done a dozen times before and is fun to play start to finish. Not every game manages that.

Gamers Heroes - Casey Scheld - 80 / 100

Pepper Grinder is anything but a grind, letting players drill through land, sea, and air with relative ease. While we would have loved to see more content – and more bosses in particular – this title proves that it’s the pirate’s life for us.

Gaming Age - Brendan Reilly - 9 / 10

Pepper Grinder is one of the most fun action platformers I’ve played in recent memory.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 70 / 100

Pepper Grinder offers plenty of fun during a surface level playthrough. Once you drill into the depths of its game mechanics, however, you'll find an overly forgiving "casual" game and a relatively frustrating "time attack" game. That said, you can collect stickers and that's pretty cool.

Geeks & Com - Kevin Cormier - French - 8 / 10

Pepper Grinder is exactly why I'm now more interested in independent games than AAA. The idea of a simple mechanic that is extremely well exploited during a complete game appeals to me more than superior graphics or a never-ending story. Mind you, I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the important thing in any case is to pay attention to the little details and have fun. And that's exactly what I had with Pepper Grinder. A more than enjoyable adventure, a quality time and a final impression good enough for me to recommend it to those around me. And I think that's what makes a game a good game.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 9.5 / 10

Pepper Grinder is one of the most entertaining 2D platformers I've played in ages, with fantastic motion and seriously creative and varied stages.

Hardcore Gamer - Jordan Helm - 4 / 5

Clocking in at around three to four hours to roll credits, Pepper Grinder while not the lengthiest of platforming titles thanks to its prime drilling mechanic, makes said run-time a thoroughly satisfying one. A core premise that's aided on top by a thoughtful approach to level design, not to mention a knack for continually chopping and changing the formula with one interesting new element or introduction of a neat gimmick after another. Developer Ahr Ech's ability to conjure so much from out so little a detail as how a character moves should not go unnoticed. Serviceable, bordering on unnecessary, its secondary content might feel, Pepper Grinder's ability to be just as satisfying to control, as much to work out and eventually beat, grants this particular drill-powered adventure a well-deserved identity all its own.

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 7 / 10

A short but sweet slice of propulsive platforming action, Pepper Grinder is all driller and no filler.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 90 / 100

With great controls, a decent learning curve, and fun levels and lovely aesthetics, Pepper Grinder fills in the short-but-sweet arcade gaming niche that we love out of a twitch-based indie offering. Drill out!

Kotaku - Moises Taveras - Unscored

Coming in at an immensely satisfying runtime of about four hours, Pepper Grinder is ultimately a wonderful little platformer to spend an evening or afternoon on. Even now, I (who almost never revisits a game, let alone one I’m reviewing) have booted it back up to dive into one of its bite-sized levels because of how great it feels to just move in it. To dig. To drill. I’m not likely to tackle one of Pepper Grinder’s action-focused levels again, save for the grand finale maybe, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot it doesn’t get right. I just wish there was more of what worked to go around.

La Orden del Pixel - David Cedrés - Spanish - Yes

With Pepper Grinder, Ahr Ech proposes a creative gameplay, where using a drill we will have to make our way through a frenetic platform adventure. A title that offers enough variety to stay away from boredom and that doesn't feel repetitive at any time.

LevelUp - Pedro Pérez Cesari - Spanish - 7.5 / 10

Pepper Grinder isn't an indie that's going to shake up the industry; it's more of a cute little game that shows us that there's a lot of ground to be rediscovered in the genre. Its core mechanics are incredibly fun, so it's a shame that in the end you're left with the feeling that it could have been more.

MKAU Gaming - Yasmin Noble - 9 / 10

Pepper Grinder proves there’s little more thrilling than drilling for a 2-D platforming adventure. Ahr Ech and Devolver Digital have a real treasure in this one. I recommend it to players who enjoy casual chaos with a charming twist.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 8 / 10

The epitome of short but sweet, that is both a clever tribute to Drill Dozer and Ecco The Dolphin and a welcome alternative to bloated and overlong modern epics.

Nindie Spotlight - Justin Nation - 8.8 / 10

An absolute banger of a wildly different take on platforming, though if you’re challenge averse it may be overwhelming

Nintendo Blast - Davi Sousa - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Pepper Grinder bet all its chips on its main mechanic, and the bet was more than successful. Don't expect an absurdly complex platform adventure, with dozens of hours to get the 100% that the game offers, as it's not about that. The proposal to base all game design elements on a single object works because its developers knew how to work with it in a way that matches everything around it, without straying from the foundations of the genre. So, start the powerful Grinder and keep digging without fear of what lies ahead!

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 9 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a wonderfully inventive and fun platformer that no fan of the genre will want to miss out on. It may have a runtime that feels a little too short, but this is ultimately a deeply enjoyable, challenging, and highly replayable game with lots of personality. If you think you'd be interested, we'd suggest you pick up Pepper Grinder at the next opportunity (and there's a even downloadable demo if you're on the fence).

NintendoWorldReport - Neal Ronaghan - 8 / 10

If you're into unique and creative takes on platforming, Pepper Grinder is well worth jumping (or rather, drilling) into. I'm not the biggest fan of the boss fights (especially the one that currently glitches out), but overall, this is a good grind from start to finish. I'd love to see more takes on drill-based platforming along these lines, though the tight package developer Ahr Ech has put together is a concentrated blast of fun.

Nintendojo - Zack Fornaca - B+

Despite the small scope and some imprecise and chaotic aspects, Pepper Grinder is worth picking up for platforming fans looking for something that manages to be both novel and challenging, and its considerable audiovisual charm absolutely doesn’t hurt.

Oyungezer Online - Mert Köse - Turkish - 8 / 10

Although it does not promise long hours, Pepper Grinder is definitely an alternative worth checking out for those who love platform games. We have a "delicious" package with various sections, cute pixel art design and ambient music.

PC Gamer - Abbie Stone - 80 / 100

Five hours of fun, frantic platforming that's unwieldy and all the better for it.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 8 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a rollicking platformer that combines some classic level design with revitalised traversal mechanics akin to Ecco the Dolphin's nose-first ocean-cruising, except on this occasion the nose is a big, bad-ass drill that makes short work of terra and pirate terrors alike.

Pure Nintendo - Jemma Casson - 8 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a platformer that wears its inspiration on its sleeve, with collectibles, checkpoints, and more in tow. It adds a unique spin to the formula with the addition of a drill mechanic, creating a fun-yet-tough experience that's satisfying to conquer. It's not a super-long game, but the challenge will keep you busy for some time regardless.

Rectify Gaming - 9 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a great platformer with smooth gameplay and a nostalgic, pixelated art style. It’s a fantastic game to play and has the potential to go down as one of the best indie games of this year. If you’re searching for a new platformer game to play, this is the one.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Katharine Castle - Unscored

Stuffed with great ideas and visual pizazz, Pepper Grinder is a sparky little platformer that's over all too soon.

Shacknews - Larryn Bell - 8 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a digestible adventure that can be completed in about six hours. While there is some replay value to be had, the short runtime helps ensure the game does not overstay its welcome, making it perfect for those looking to play a satisfying platformer in manageable doses. Despite its brevity, the fluid mobility provided by the drilling mechanic and overall frenetic gameplay make for an engaging retro romp that will likely tunnel its way straight to your heart.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 7 / 10

Pepper Grinder is an action-packed 2D adventure blending traditional platforming with an alternate drilling mode that allows you to dive in and out of the earth like a dolphin swims through water. Switch version reviewed. Review copy provided by company for testing purposes. Pepper Grinder is a game with a good idea that generally works well.

Softpedia - Cosmin Vasile - 8.5 / 10

Pepper Grinder has a very good core idea and builds fun platforming levels and puzzles around its big drill. The four worlds introduce new ideas and challenges, as well as boss fights. The pixel art makes the world come alive more than the narrative.

Spaziogames - Salvatore Pilò - Italian - 7 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a side-scrolling platformer with a good pace and solid platforming mechanics, but it's marred by some questionable action choices that prevent the title from shining as much as it should. This is particularly regrettable in the case of the boss battles, which, despite featuring beautiful designs, offer unsatisfying gameplay, as does the overall duration of the adventure.

TechRaptor - Austin Suther - 8 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a condensed experience but offers thrilling and unique levels. The drill is the star of the show and feels great to use as a tool.

The Game Crater - Jayden Hellyar - 8 / 10

Pepper Grinder is an enjoyable adventure brimming with excitement, challenges, and hidden treasures. Its innovative drilling mechanic, vibrant presentation, and engaging gameplay make for an extraordinary journey, albeit one that leaves players yearning for it to last longer. However, despite its minor flaws, Pepper Grinder stands as a thrilling escapade and a great indie title.

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 7 / 10

A fluid and dynamic action-platformer with great potential, flawed by a too rigid structure, limited longevit and some annoying bugs that spoil the experience. A metroidvania with these dynamics could give an eventual sequel the breathing room this project needed.

The Outerhaven Productions - Charlie Wacholz - 4.5 / 5

Pepper Grinder boldly defines a short and sweet, pixelated adventure with a whole lot of punch in its short runtime. This dynamo of chaos, tight platforming, satisfying movement, tight-level design, and dazzling art style is one of the best platformers I've played in a long time.

TheGamer - George Foster - 4 / 5

Even if some of the boss battles and tougher platforming sections made me want to cry and the relatively short run-time had me done with Pepper’s adventure quicker than I’d like, Pepper Grinder is one of the most entertaining 2D platformers in recent memory and one that pushes its unique selling point to the limit. Pepper Grinder is drill-y good.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 10 / 10

Pepper Grinder undoubtedly shines as another gem in Devolver Digital’s diverse portfolio, reaffirming their reputation for delivering standout indie games that captivate and entertain. Pepper Grinder is sure to delight platformers with its unique mechanics and treasure-collecting glory.

Use a Potion - 9 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a platforming treat, with the unique drilling mechanic and brilliant level design making it stand out as a must-play release of the genre. It has plenty of clever ideas in play that build upon the simple nature of the drilling perfectly, whilst the charming visuals and collectibles are the cherry on top. It is a little disappointing that the game wasn’t a bit longer, but given the quality of what you get, it’s hard to complain too much.

It’s just a really finely crafted experience that plays into its strengths perfectly, and believe me, platforming fans won’t want to miss out on Pepper Grinder.

VGChartz - Evan Norris - 7 / 10

Thanks to Riv Hester's diligence, Pepper Grinder succeeds mechanically, creatively, and visually. It could do with better unlockables and would certainly benefit from a longer running time, but overall it hits the right marks.

WayTooManyGames - Aaron Price - 9 / 10

If you like Super Mario World, or precision platformers such as Celeste, then boy, have I got an absolute treat for you. Pepper Grinder is the kind of game you’ll instantly start to scream about from the rooftops. It’s got fast-paced action, its worlds are vibrant and diverse, and it’s got a banging soundtrack to top it off. Not to mention the fact I’ll always have a soft spot for anything that includes narwhals. Pepper Grinder is already one of my top contenders for my favourite game of the year, especially being a replayable-as-hell Switch banger I can pick and play for ten to fifteen minutes at a time while I’m sat on a bus or train.

ZTGD - Anthony Mann - 7 / 10

Overall, Pepper Grinder is a very good game. Some stages have unique gimmicks that blend well with the base move set, others just challenge players with the basics. I like Pepper, she has a lot of character for a silent protagonist and the soundtrack is quite good too. There’s a lot to like with Pepper Grinder, I just really wish the boss battles were better or absent because they weigh down the rest of the experience.

video games are good - Nathan Hermanson - 9 / 10

Pepper Grinder is a platforming gem, a masterclass in taking one simple mechanic and stretching it as far as you possibly can in one tight package. Ahr Ech built this game to be as satisfying as possible. It appeals to platforming fans of all types equally (speedrunners and completionists together), and it stands as a testament to the value of not overcomplicating things.

By evoking the simplicity and no frills approach of platforming greats, Pepper Grinder keeps the focus on its best bits and will undoubtedly drill down into your heart the minute you hop in.

I know it doesn’t actually matter but man it sucks that it couldn’t get that one extra OC point because it shapes people’s perception. Biggest issue is how short it is. To which I would say A) It’s $15 and B) You are supposed to get the collectibles and doing so makes it a good length

Alright, beat the first two stages and I think I'll be doing this one over the weekend, controls superbly and is super fun to use your drill to get around quickly, which is helped by the optional time attack stuff. Got all the coins in both stages and then time attacked them, not quite sure what the pop-ups at the end of time attack mean, though. Are they based on how fast you are?

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Alright, beat the first two stages and I think I'll be doing this one over the weekend, controls superbly and is super fun to use your drill to get around quickly, which is helped by the optional time attack stuff. Got all the coins in both stages and then time attacked them, not quite sure what the pop-ups at the end of time attack mean, though. Are they based on how fast you are?

Time attack came out after I beat it lol so not sure! I did one stage after that, I think it’s based on speed?

17 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Unless the UK makes this a massive pain and I’ve not miscounted…

If you want to play the game, then you win! Just tell me how to get funds to you - even if cumbersome we can make this happen 

Also yeah I think you woud..

….

dig it

I played about 45 minutes and beat the first two levels. Game is hard. It's like Celeste if you had to drill through the ground. I'm surprised @stepee would hype up such a difficult game. :p

Does turning up the haptics make the track pad feel tighter? I felt like track pad was a bit too loose and maybe the D-pad wasn't loose enough.

16 hours ago, stepee said:

@gamer.tv Despite living in another world don’t you just have paypal? i can paypal you whatever the game costs and then bamo wippity slippity u diggin

I do, I’ll have a look and let you know. Thanks mate! 

55 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I do, I’ll have a look and let you know. Thanks mate! 

Ok you are the second winner then if so desired!

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I played about 45 minutes and beat the first two levels. Game is hard. It's like Celeste if you had to drill through the ground. I'm surprised @stepee would hype up such a difficult game. :p

Does turning up the haptics make the track pad feel tighter? I felt like track pad was a bit too loose and maybe the D-pad wasn't loose enough.

Well, I also love Celeste, platformers I can do harder than other genres. I find it plays best with the analog stick tbh - I do think it helps you feel the groove to turn the haptics up. There is also a 50% slow down option if you need help in a spot!

I am having no issues with the controls since I slayed the first 3 levels 

Update Stage 1 completed. 

James Corden Hello GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

It feels really good when you string a bunch of drills together. 

• True 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I find it plays best with the analog stick tbh - I do think it helps you feel the groove to turn the haptics up. There is also a 50% slow down option if you need help in a spot!

Ah you said haptics and I immediately thought track pad. I never even touched the analog stick. :p

On 5/4/2024 at 7:23 AM, MarSolo said:

Still available? Switch? I’ll take it?

You got beat by two others but I’ll throw one more in! It’s on pc (runs great on deck) or switch - your choice!

18 hours ago, stepee said:

You got beat by two others but I’ll throw one more in! It’s on pc (runs great on deck) or switch - your choice!

Woo! Thanks! I’ll do the Switch version.