Is this the worst console generation since before the NES?

1 minute ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I guess if you're a Sony-Only Pony than he's right.

Luckily I have the luxury of not limiting myself to one gaming platform, so the idea of generations are pretty meaningless these days.

Sure, but you can step inside the perspective of a console generation with both + however the switch factors into it and think of it that way. I own everything but an Xbox and there’s not not a ton of console only stuff - even if you pretend the consoles aren’t releasing everything on pc now - that I’ve been super excited about. 

A couple replies in and I already need to remind people that grass exists and can be touched.

Gen's been fantastic, and we just came off of one of the GOAT years. True thread title should be "Is this the worst Toms Guide article?" because it's just an excuse to make a list.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really haven't seen anything on the PS5 that couldn't easily have existed in a downgraded form for the PS4 without that much of a significant drop in overall quality.

Demon's Souls is still the most impressive console game this generation.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Demon's Souls is still the most impressive console game this generation.

DeS is sooooo good, but I don't see how it's more impressive than Spider-Man 2. Being able to traverse the world that quickly with very little pop-in, plus instantly fast travel to a street block on the map, not to mention the incredible effects of something like the Sandman fight done in an open world, are things that just wouldn't work on the PS4.

• True 1

Idk. 2023 was absolutely spectacular on every platform including PS5.

I do agree that we haven't seen anything really truly "next-gen" but I've had a blast so far in this generation. 

• True 1

But we can almost guarantee that several of the games on his list, FFXVI, FFVII Rebirth, and Spiderman 2 are almost definitely coming to PC, and his argument starts to fall apart, since he's disqualifying multiplats.

I've been having a blast this "gen" but in fairness, I don't really give a shit if a game is considered "next gen" or "current gen" or what... I've recently gotten back into ESO which is a 10 year old game at this point.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

DeS is sooooo good, but I don't see how it's more impressive than Spider-Man 2. Being able to traverse the world that quickly with very little pop-in, plus instantly fast travel to a street block on the map, not to mention the incredible effects of something like the Sandman fight done in an open world, are things that just wouldn't work on the PS4.

I mean DeS has super instant load times, no pop-in and incredible effects as well. And to top it off way better lighting.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I mean DeS has super instant load times, no pop-in and incredible effects as well. And to top it off way better lighting.

It's also using PS3 level design that's smaller and more wide-linear than open. It's way more impressive to have no pop-in racing through the air over a large breathing city than to have no pop-in in a level in Demon's Souls. 

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really haven't seen anything on the PS5 that couldn't easily have existed in a downgraded form for the PS4 without that much of a significant drop in overall quality.

100 percent this. I was just thinking the other day how there's almost nothing in the entire "next gen" library that actually looks or feels next gen. The Demon Souls remake and Horizon West are the only two games I can think of that look next gen. There's probably a handful of others but I can't think of them. lol

DeS just looks so fantastic. Despite it being a remake, it's been the only PS5 game that got close to making the PS5 seem like a real next-gen console. Or maybe it is because it is a remake and I played the OG that I feel the way that I do. Not only is it the best looking, it has the best performance out of all of my PS5 games as well.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, nublood said:

100 percent this. I was just thinking the other day how there's almost nothing in the entire "next gen" library that actually looks or feels next gen. The Demon Souls remake and Horizon West are the only two games I can think of that look next gen. There's probably a handful of others but I can't think of them. lol

Yea but Horizon Forbidden West is on PS4...

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

A couple replies in and I already need to remind people that grass exists and can be touched.

I don't see how this is relevant. It doesn’t even have to be taken in a super negative light - we were on a heater of amazing “gens” in a row, and I just happen to think this one is lacking compared to those especially. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

I don't see how this is relevant. It doesn’t even have to be taken in a super negative light - we were on a heater of amazing “gens” in a row, and I just happen to think this one is lacking compared to those especially. 

Even after the juggernaut of 2023? 

Were you a couple replies in?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We just came off of one of the all time great gamning years in 2023... how in GOD'S NAME is this the worse generation since before the NES? Clickity Clickty Bait Bait.

It was one of the greatest ever because it contained a multitude of games that couldn’t make it out in the prior bleak years. If that makes up for those other years for you, I get it, but I don’t think the question is absurd on its face. 

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Were you a couple replies in?

Depends on if you’re using the true definition of “couple” or the Nebraskan version where it can mean anything from 1-100. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It was one of the greatest ever because it contained a multitude of games that couldn’t make it out in the prior bleak years. 

I don't think there's been one year that was "bleak" unless you only own a 3DO.

But what a way to make 2023 not count, wtf :p.

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

Depends on if you’re using the true definition of “couple” or the Nebraskan version where it can mean anything from 1-100. 

Didn't know Pres. Clinton posted here. :notsure:

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Look @Paperclyp hates clickbait articles so much he had to post one of his own. :p

I honestly didn’t think it was that click baity but now that I see the passion these things elicit i apologize to any bad words I said about click bait in the past. 

This is exhilarating. 

Birds aren’t real. 

• Sicko 1

A stacked year doesn't mean a stacked generation. I will say that because more single-player RPGs (that I want to play) came out this gen, I think I'd rate this gen over last gen. Last gen did have BB, DS3, and Sekiro tho too.

2023 had some high highs but overall pretty weak imo. The prior few years I’m comfortable saying they were fairly bleak especially again considering the pace of bangers leading up to that point for like 20 years. 

edit: meant to say 2022 was weak 

• Haha 1
  • Wrong 1

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

2023 had some high highs but overall pretty weak imo. The prior few years I’m comfortable saying they were fairly bleak especially again considering the pace of bangers leading up to that point for like 20 years. 

936cb65e348d919698bfbf9ddd083495.gif

Considering everyone's ever growing backlogs it is absolutely absurd to me personally. Gamers complaining about a lack of games when we can't even keep up with the games that are currently released as is. I mean in the previous two years, we have seen several games released that would make anyone's all time great list in their repsective genres not to mention a bunch of really good AA and indie games (I'm not even INTO the indie scene). I get that these outlets need to have something to write about to in order to drive traffic but to label this whole generation as "The worse since before the NES" is ludicrous to me... someone who actually PLAYED games before the NES generation. Sorry bro but it just strikes me as silly and hyperbolic :shrug:

• Haha 1

Sorry sorry I meant 2022

So you think the prior years -- meaning, like going to back to 2020 -- were "bleak?" 2020 was bleak in terms of the world, but gaming was an incredible bright spot in a stacked year.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Considering everyone's ever growing backlogs it is absolutely absurd to me personally. Gamers complaining about a lack of games when we can't even keep up with the games that are currently released as is. I mean in the previous two years, we have seen several games released that would make anyone's all time great list in their repsective genres not to mention a bunch of really good AA and indie games (I'm not even INTO the indie scene). I get that these outlets need to have something to write about to in order to drive traffic but to label this whole generation as "The worse sense before the NES" is ludicrous to me... someone who actually PLAYED games before the NES generation. Sorry bro but it just strikes me as silly and hyperbolic :shrug:

Am I coming off as complaining? I am just trying to examine the generations and find it fun to sort of rank them in my mind. I mean you guys would have this gen in the top half of gens overall? Maybe we should just go through that exercise. I’m sure we’re not as maligned as it seems.