Upcoming documentary discusses sexual abuse at Nickelodeon.

Just now, best3444 said:

Not sure why we are kinda making light of this. This is devastating material and from someone who suffered from sexual molestation I can relate to this. 

Not making light or fun, we are mocking a dark and fucked up world brother. This is gallows humor. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

How was this not called, "You Definitely Can't Do That On Television?! 

…well because they did do it on television and got away with it. Unless I missed something and someone got punished

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 5:04 PM, best3444 said:

Not sure why we are kinda making light of this. This is devastating material and from someone who suffered from sexual molestation I can relate to this. 

I was also sexually abused as a kid and I too don’t find those jokes funny. I’m all for joking about fucked up things but you wanna make sure the butt of the joke is properly placed and avoid coming across as too flippant. At least IMO.

A classic and well-observed rule in comedy is “Comedy equals tragedy plus time”. While these abuses happened years ago this documentary is still very new and a lot of us are still processing it. I think if someone wants to joke about something as soon as the news hits that is their right but they don’t get to hide behind the “but it’s comedy!” defense either. When you knowingly break accepted rules in comedy you have to accept it may not go over well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamusha said:

I was also sexually abused as a kid and I too don’t find those jokes funny. I’m all for joking about fucked up things but you wanna make sure the butt of the joke is properly placed and avoid coming across as too flippant. At least IMO.

A classic and well-observed rule in comedy is “Comedy equals tragedy plus time”. While these abuses happened years ago this documentary is still very new and a lot of us are still processing it. I think if someone wants to joke about something as soon as the news hits that is their right but they don’t get to hide behind the “but it’s comedy!” defense either. When you knowingly break accepted rules in comedy you have to accept it may not go over well. 

I understood the joking afterwards. The guys above that joked are very good people with good hearts so it's ok. But you make good points overall. 

WWW.THEONION.COM

LOS ANGELES—Saying the channel would do everything in its power to make up for the writer and producer’s years of toxic, abusive behavior, Nickelodeon announced Thursday that Dan Schneider had been chemically castrated with slime. “While in his powerful position at Nickelodeon, Mr. Schneider harassed child stars and…

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:
WWW.THEONION.COM

LOS ANGELES—Saying the channel would do everything in its power to make up for the writer and producer’s years of toxic, abusive behavior, Nickelodeon announced Thursday that Dan Schneider had been chemically castrated with slime. “While in his powerful position at Nickelodeon, Mr...

This is a good example of how to joke about this situation, btw. The butt of the joke is properly place and it doesn’t come across as flippant. The Onion are masters at this.