CNBC: multiple analysts suggest that PS5 Pro "likely" to launch in the second half of 2024

WWW.CNBC.COM

Analysts told CNBC they expect Sony to launch the PlayStation 5 Pro this year which would offer new hardware for the release of Grand Theft Auto VI in 2025.

Sony is likely to release a refreshed version of the PlayStation 5 this year, analysts told CNBC, after the company cut its forecast for sales of its flagship console.

The move would be designed to boost interest in the PlayStation 5 and offer a souped-up piece of hardware ready for release of Grand Theft Auto VI in 2025, one of this decade’s most hotly anticipated games, the analysts said.

Sony was not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC.

“There seems to be a broad consensus in the game industry that Sony is indeed preparing a launch of a PS5 Pro in the second half of 2024,” Serkan Toto, CEO of Tokyo-based games consultancy Kantan Games, told CNBC.

“And Sony will want to make sure to have a great piece of hardware ready when GTA VI hits in 2025, a launch that will be a shot in the arm for the entire gaming industry.”

• Thanks 1

Just now, Brian said:

Surprised they would release a Pro without a tentpole franchise to launch alongside it. 

Well they kinda are and I called this a while back. The PS5 Pro will coincide with GTA 6. Not exactly at release but it will be it's selling point. GTA 6 will release in March 2025. PS5 Pro will launch in November so just a few months off.

Also, everyone should be prepared in just how stunning GTA 6 will be. The Pro will be needed to fully see its potential. 

As I’ve said before, they’ll price this thing something awful.

The worst part is it might not even be worth that price.  Sony made some big strides with AMD with the PS4 Pro, so much so that it ushered in the future of rendering in many ways.  That’s likely not happening again with what NVIDIA has brought to the table.

I was once apprehensive about buying a PS5, because I thought games would stress the spec too much once a Pro model arrived, and beforehand with RT and UE5.  That’s already been a problem, especially with games relying on FSR2.  I almost waited for this.

But now, I feel I’d be crazy not to spend money on a $1k rig as opposed to a $600 or $700 AMD console.  Keep the old PS5 for stutterstruggle games, get a Switch 2 for Nintendo, play everything else on PC.  Including Sony’s stuff.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well they kinda are and I called this a while back. The PS5 Pro will coincide with GTA 6. Not exactly at release but it will be it's selling point. GTA 6 will release in March 2025. PS5 Pro will launch in November so just a few months off.

Also, everyone should be prepared in just how stunning GTA 6 will be. The Pro will be needed to fully see its potential. 

I mean, I dunno if I'd consider a multiplat third-party game a "tentpole franchise." Better than launching with nothing, but I feel like GTA players would still buy it on the PS3 if it released there, let alone buy a premium console just to see 4k flipflops.

• True 1

Most of the tentpole PS5 games also have PS4 versions that look and play just fine. What exactly would this PS5 Pro be doing?

Espcially when the industry seems to be scaling back a bit so that games don't take quite so long to make, or cost as much money. I think we're hitting a threshold with graphical quality being dictated not by the hardware, but by the budget.

There is a ton of opportunity for a better GPU to improve the experience on a PS5.  

Perhaps running Spider-Man 2 fidelity mode at 60fps vs. only 30?

Or higher resolutions for the performance mode?

Just putting in some of the graphical features from the PC version of other games would be easy for many devs.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

What exactly would this PS5 Pro be doing?

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There is a ton of opportunity for a better GPU to improve the experience on a PS5.  

The Pro will clean up the mess with have with fidelity games running like dog shit which is worth me buying one for. Maybe not you. 

54 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Just putting in some of the graphical features from the PC version of other games would be easy for many devs.

That’s a similar proposition to the PS4 pro, except the og model in the care struggled at times to maintain 1080p.  It’d be a much smaller feeling jump than that for traditional rasterization.  Unless you’re all about pushing above 60.  (Which FSR3 may be helping with anyways)

Meanwhile, you might as well buy a 40 series card if you care about anything RT related for the future.  I’d love to be wrong about that.

21 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

That’s a similar proposition to the PS4 pro, except the og model in the care struggled at times to maintain 1080p.  It’d be a much smaller feeling jump than that for traditional rasterization.  Unless you’re all about pushing above 60.  (Which FSR3 may be helping with anyways)

Meanwhile, you might as well buy a 40 or even 30 series card if you care about anything RT related for the future.  I’d love to be wrong about that.

I have a 4080 in my rig (and my son got a 4070Ti for Xmas), so you don't have to convince me about the advantages of PC gaming.  I think there is tremendous value in RT and DLSS frame generation.  It also comes at a much higher price than a PS5.

Taking the present 30fps fidelity mode on PS5 and running it at 60fps sounds like a worthwhile jump for many people.

Or potentially, just rendering games at a much higher resolution.  I don't have a PS5 (first every Sony console I didn't buy on launch day.), so I don't follow it all that closely, but my sense is most games are running at a relatively low resolution.

However, there is a group of people that are happy with a console experience.  I would not be overly surprised if the PS5 Pro launched at the present PS5 price.

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I have a 4080 in my rig (and my son got a 4070Ti for Xmas), so you don't have to convince me about the advantages of PC gaming.  I think there is tremendous value in RT and DLSS frame generation.  It also comes at a much higher price than a PS5.

Taking the present 30fps fidelity mode on PS5 and running it at 60fps sounds like a worthwhile jump for many peopleOr potentially, just rendering games at a much higher resolution. 

And the issue comes back to pricing and value proposition.  PS4 Pro leveraged checkerboarding to punch above its weight class.  What’s a PS5 Pro to do when any similar advantage is already present and popularized?

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

And the issue comes back to pricing and value proposition.  PS4 Pro leveraged checkerboarding to punch above its weight class.  What’s a PS5 Pro to do when any similar advantage is already present and popularized on PC?  And when AMD is a few steps behind?

Put in 60 GPU cores vs. 36 cores and run games with around twice the horsepower vs. what they are presently running at.  Why does it have to be more than that?

Where I can see a PS5 Pro having benefit would be in more RAM (UE5 says thanks!) and a larger storage solution(game size inflation is a steady march in one direction). Everything else will be nice, but not overly impactful, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Where I can see a PS5 Pro having benefit would be in more RAM (UE5 says thanks!) and a larger storage solution(game size inflation is a steady march in one direction). Everything else will be nice, but not overly impactful, IMO. 

It will be worth it for me. I'll have money at the time of release to burn on it, too. With you owning a state of the art pc, will you even buy a PS5 Pro?

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It will be worth it for me. I'll have money at the time of release to burn on it, too. With you owning a state of the art pc, will you even buy a PS5 Pro?

I’m not getting a Pro. I much rather sink all my money in Switch 2. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Its very unlikely. Over the years, Sony exclusives have done less and less for me. ITs not that they aren't making quality games, its that the quality games they make are mostly not to my taste. Of all the exclusives that have come out on PS5, here is the list that made it worth it to have a PS5 for me:

Demon's Souls remake (one of my favorite games of all time, absolutely validated my purchase)

Ghost of Tsushima 

Horizon ZD 2 (bought but only played a few hours on PS5, have been waiting ever since  to play on PC with very high frame rate and no blur)

FF:R

FF:R part 2

That's it. Everything else is not really for me, though I've tried. Also, fun fact, GTA series has never done anything for me. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Didn't FF7:R already come to PC?  I had thought the FF7:R part 2 trailers now had an "Not available on other formats at least until 5/29/24" disclaimer on them -- suggesting a possible release date for PC.

Yup! IT took a year for the first part, and might take a year for the second part, but it too will make the journey to PC. 

47 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Put in 60 GPU cores vs. 36 cores and run games with around twice the horsepower vs. what they are presently running at.  Why does it have to be more than that?

Why did the PS4 Pro need checkerboarding?  To punch above its weight. 

It needed it to make the value proposition more enticing.  Same sort of deal here.

23 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m not getting a Pro. I much rather sink all my money in Switch 2. 

I'm getting both. I want GTA 6 to run at 60fps. I want all my games to run at 60fps. If the pro doesn't offer that then I'm not sure why they would even release it lol. 

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Well, I'll guess we'll find out what the PS5 pro is once it's announced, and we'll see how Sony's sales continue into 2025.  I, personally, think they'll continue to be fine.

They’ll still sell some if it doesn’t do anything special.  But it is going to be a harder sell if it’s basically a Pro Minus of a leap.  

I think a lot more people will just say they’ll just wait for next gen, with path tracing and such, than the last go around.  Assuming Sony isn’t catching up to that yet. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Wait, huh? Do you know something the rest of us don't? 

No, I don't.  Just that the obvious things to make a PS5 Pro exciting from a value standpoint are the things AMD is behind on.

But who knows.  Maybe Sony found a proprietary way to make frame gen resolving at 60fps not look and feel bad.  That could do the trick to present a case like the PS4 Pro once did.

There was a rumor Sony had its own proprietary upscaling tech but even if it’s as good as dlss3 and 40fps to 80fps we are looking at that would be pretty huge especially for cpu limited stuff. Not that I expect that but you never know.

If there is no frame gen at all which is also possible then there is no GTA6 60fps on console - since I expect that to be cpu limited. We will just have to see what’s on offer here.

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

There was a rumor Sony had its own proprietary upscaling tech but even if it’s as good as dlss3 and 40fps to 80fps we are looking at that would be pretty huge especially for cpu limited stuff. Not that I expect that but you never know.

That would be fantastic, but it could still be throwing down with $400-450 NVIDIA GPUs that did the same thing.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Well, I think the three people deciding between a ps5 pro or a nvidia gpu will have some thinking to do then!

True. I would be in that category, but with Sony's games getting PC ports the landscape has changed.  We'd need another chip shortage / crypto boom for me to be optimistic about getting another Playstation without exclusives.

I suppose there's always trade-ins to reduce the cost, for however long Gamestop survives.