PlayStation's Gaming Future

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

In a recent interview, Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida talked about PlayStation's gaming future, subscriptions, and Xbox.

In an interview with Norges Bank Investment Management, the Sony CEO talked about where he sees the future of gaming for PlayStation going in both the short and near term.

“It will be ubiquitous,” Yoshida said. “Wherever there is computing, users will be able to play their favorite games seamlessly. Why PlayStation will remain our core product [is] we will expand our gaming experiences to PC, mobile, and cloud.”

Speaking of the cloud and non-traditional gaming, Yoshida was asked about the movement towards subscription services for gaming.

It’s something that, while he sees the value in, doesn’t believe it’s a catch-all solution for gamers.

“People usually play one game at a time,” he said.

“So [the] all you can eat type of many games may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services. So we’ll have a kind of balanced or hybrid service on PlayStation Network: a subscription as well as pay-per-content.”

“People usually play one game at a time,” he said. “So [the] all you can eat type of many games may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services. So we’ll have a kind of balanced or hybrid service on PlayStation Network: a subscription as well as pay-per-content.”

Maybe this is expected coming from someone who sells consoles largely based on single player games, but I'll raise my hand and say that's mostly me. I get way less value out of Gamepass than I might because I'm usually focused on one game at a time, with maybe a bit on the side.

• Halal 1

34 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Maybe this is expected coming from someone who sells consoles largely based on single player games, but I'll raise my hand and say that's mostly me. I get way less value out of Gamepass than I might because I'm usually focused on one game at a time, with maybe a bit on the side.

I'm usually not playing more than two games at most at a time myself as well. I'm a completionist though, I don't like starting a game I don't more or less finish story-wise, if not more. I know a lot of people who just play a few hours of a ton of games all at once though. Weird to me, but I assume they want a taste test of far more so they miss out on less rather than dedicate themselves to a single game or two at a time. I find the latter more rewarding, but that's me.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I've always got like a dozen different games going on at any given time (not literally at once, obviously) but I also understand I'm an outlier.

That said...

wEf8UDa.png

I want that actual case with the hands and everything 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Same. I’m usually playing one main story driven game. And then something light just to offset it like The Show, WWE, Fortnite, Vampire Survivors from time to time. But I can’t play 3 full games at once like I did in High School/college. 

Every once in a while I'll get sucked into a game where I don't want to play anything else until I finish it. But it's rare. Alan Wake 2 was the most recent, and whenever a Resident Evil comes out. But other than that, I'm usually bouncing through multiple games. 

At the moment, I have Warhammer 40K Space Marine and Yakuza 0 going on the Deck when I'm away. When I'm home, I'm bouncing between Starfield and Call of Duty. I'm rolling through a co-op campaign in Remnant II with a buddy, so when he's around we're chipping away at that. Unless our other buddy gets on, then we're likely playing Diablo IV.

That's not even counting when I boot up something like Forza Motorsport just to get in a race or two.