Personal Top Films of 2023

SoberChef

Finally end of the year & truly, we have had some insanely well made films invade our collective eyeballs & minds. So may as well talk about what you all came to love this year?

In no particular order, here's mine:

• Beau is Afraid: I truly haven't been able to stop thinking about Ari Aster's latest since seeing it back in April in theaters.
  • The Iron Claw: Yet another in which, from the first time I saw the trailer, all the way to now as I write this, not a day has gone by I haven't lovingly & fondly thought of this film.
  • Talk to Me: In a year, not quite as great as 2022, where some solid horror films arrived - it's this one that's automatically on my list...that being said however.
  • When Evil Lurks: JFC this one sunk into my bones & soul. Forget the phenomenal practical FX and focus on that story - just totally wild! Love international film!!
  • John Wick 4: I've had nearly the whole year to really think about this film & the franchise as a whole - earnestly, let John rest. A perfect send off for an original IP.

There are a number of films I have yet to get to which may affect this "top 5" list. Those would be "Dream Scenario", "The Holdovers", & "Poor Things".

• Thanks 1

Joy Ride

Anatomy of a Fall 

Oppenheimer

Evil Dead Rise 

Killers of the Flower Moon 

Barbie 

Past Lives

Guardians 3

Fair Play

May December

i love yorgos so i suspect Poor Things will be among my favorites. 

also shoutout to dungeons and dragons which was so much better than it had any right to be 

Poor Things

Oppenheimer 

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse

Anatomy of a Fall

Barbie

Beau is Afraid

The Boy and the Heron

Godzilla Minus One

The Iron Claw

There’s 10 in a rough order. Lot of great movies this year, and still a bunch I haven’t seen. Some underseen movies I would like to shout out include How to Blow Up a Pipeline, Blackberry, Theater Camp, The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial, and Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. 

• Hugs 1

No list as I still think Premium TV is shitting all over the cinema right now, but great films I saw this year were Spiderverse 2 (whatever it's called) Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Godzilla Minus One, Haunting in Venice, Knock at the Cabin and of course John Wick 4. Still a lot I haven't seen though. @SoberChef there's quite a few on your list I'm going to check out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No list as I still think Premium TV is shitting all over the cinema right now, but great films I saw this year were Spiderverse 2 (whatever it's called) Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Godzilla Minus One, Haunting in Venice, Knock at the Cabin and of course John Wick 4. Still a lot I haven't seen though. @SoberChef there's quite a few on your list I'm going to check out.

been a great TV year but i don’t think it’s shitting all over movies. great movie year imo

23 hours ago, johnny said:

been a great TV year but i don’t think it’s shitting all over movies. great movie year imo

Yeah there are more films now than ever before - it just takes work finding the good stuff but especially indie, arthouse, and foreign films are crushing it. So many good movies on my lists that I'll never catch up or watch them all. 

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah there are more films now than ever before - it just takes work finding the good stuff but especially indie, arthouse, and foreign films are crushing it. So many good movies on my lists that I'll never catch up or watch them all. 

To be fair, that last bit of your point is painstakingly true. Even Edgar Wright, who's an avid physical media collector & has the means in which to expand his personal collection, attempted to watch a new movie a day and only got to about 350ish. Solid still for sure but oh wow, if even HE can't do such a feat, how can the rest of us lowly dogs ever stand a chance?

Also, Edgar needs to put out another movie ASAP!

• True 1

I haven't been diligent about tracking my movie watching, but I'll to a very rough ranking in tiers. I could probably move things around for hours, but I'll spare myself that for now.

Poor Things and Oppenheimer are my top 2.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse

Godzilla Minus One

Barbie

The Holdovers

Past Lives

Saltburn

Beau is Afraid

The Killer

Asteroid City

Polite Society

Guardians 3

John Wick 4

Dungeons and Dragons

Suzume

Mutant Mayhem

Return to Seoul

May December

Cocaine Bear

The Boy and the Heron

Rustin

Maestro

Creed 3

The Creator

Missing

They Cloned Tyrone

Air

Dead Reckoning Part 1

Dial of Destiny

Haunting in Venice
Blackberry

Dream Scenario

No One Will Save You

Leave the World Behind

Tetris

The Marvels

Napolean

Balad of Songbirds and Snakes

Movies I really didn't like:

Equalizer 3

Blue Beetle

Gran Turismo

The Flash

Rebel Moon Part 1

Still Very interested in seeing: The Iron Claw, Anatomy of a Fall, Zone of Interest, American Fiction, Ferrari

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I haven't been diligent about tracking my movie watching, but I'll to a very rough ranking in tiers. I could probably move things around for hours, but I'll spare myself that for now.

Still Very interested in seeing: The Iron Claw, Anatomy of a Fall, Zone of Interest, American Fiction, Ferrari

What are the tiers? Letter grades? 

Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse would be my #1 of the past couple of years if it didn't feel like it just "ended". I know there's a third movie coming (one day) but yeesh. Other than that, it was damn near perfectly paced and did not feel like it was a 2h20m movie at all.

Went and saw Ferrari and American Fiction this weekend. Ferrari was really good, if a bit melodramatic at times. Didn't think the accents worked super well, but I enjoyed the film quite a bit overall.

American Fiction quickly became one of my favorites of the year. Funny, insightful, dramatic, and more than a little bit meta, it was a complete joy to watch.

• Hype 1

Finally got around to Across the Spider-Verse as well as The Holdovers this weekend. The former really was the best *major* comic book film of 2023, no room to argue that whatsoever. The latter however, I stuck with it about an hour or so in, just wasn't holding my attention to be fair. Twas cool that I learned a bit about human digestion through that trimethylamine being unable to be broken down, in turn causing an odor that resembles that of rotting fish, fascinating.

15 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse would be my #1 of the past couple of years if it didn't feel like it just "ended". I know there's a third movie coming (one day) but yeesh. Other than that, it was damn near perfectly paced and did not feel like it was a 2h20m movie at all.

i loved spider-verse but the ending was atrocious. terrible way to end a movie.