WBD in talks to merge with Paramount

Spork3245

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/20/warner-bros-paramount-merger-discovery-streaming

Details: The meeting between Zaslav and Bakish, which sources say lasted several hours, took place at Paramount's headquarters in Times Square.

*The duo discussed ways their companies could complement one another. For example, each company's main streaming service — Paramount+ and Max — could merge to better rival Netflix and Disney+.

*It's unclear whether WBD would buy Paramount Global or its parent company, National Amusements Inc. (NAI), but a source familiar with the situation says that both options are on the table.

*WBD is said to have hired bankers to explore the deal.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:12 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The current speculation is that Zaslav isn't actually interested in this tie-up and is floating this idea to force a bid from Comcast.

I was under the impression that Comcast was seen as an obvious no-go since they already own NBC, same for Disney thanks to ABC.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Why would NBC and ABC matter, but not CBS?

Yeah, CBS matters in that you can't own CBS and NBC for example.

NBC is owned by Comcast

ABC is owned by Disney 

CBS is owned by Paramount

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Because WBD doesn't own an over-the-air broadcast network, there's no issue with a deal with Comcast or Disney from that perspective.

If Comcast buys Paramount, they won't get CBS. The same thing happened with Disney when they bought Fox; they didn't get Fox Channel.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Yeah, CBS matters in that you can't own CBS and NBC for example.

NBC is owned by Comcast

ABC is owned by Disney 

CBS is owned by Paramount

Yes, CBS is owned by Paramount, not WBD. WBD is looking to merge with Paramount or Comcast. Paramount is not looking to merge with Comcast. So, again, why would Comcast or Disney be a “no-go” for WBD merger because of NBC and ABC, but not CBS at Paramount?

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

If Comcast buys Paramount, they won't get CBS. The same thing happened with Disney when they bought Fox; they didn't get Fox Channel.

Zaslav is trying (allegedly) to get a merger for WBD. The merger would be with Paramount or Comcast. Paramount is not the company trying to be merged with Comcast. CBS shouldn’t be relevant in a WBD merger, it would be relevant in a Paramount merger with Comcast or Disney which is not (nor ever was) speculated/rumored.

Yeah, I misread that comment. I meant that Comcast and Disney were no goes for buying Paramount because of the network TV conflicts.

I assumed that Comcast or Disney buying WBD would be unlikely due to anti-trust fears, even though Disney was able to get the Fox purchase through. I suppose that Comcast is possible, but there would still be some heavy scrutiny, much more than merging with Paramount.

On 12/26/2023 at 4:53 PM, Remarkableriots said:

I could be wrong, but my recollection of that deal is that Murdoch always wanted to keep Fox TV because Fox Corp would continue to be a profitable company (thanks largely to Fox News). It was only Fox Sports that the DOJ prevented Disney from buying.

I think it's dubious that a third CBS corp would be in that same position, but I imagine it would entirely depend on what that new CBS ended up with.

17 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

WBD would still have to get rid of The CW; they own 12.5% of that nationally broadcast network. Or not get whatever network part of the merger they want to do.

Doesn’t Paramount already own 12.5% of the CW? Merging with WBD would just up their stake to 25%.

This is what I finally found. @TwinIon

FCC rules effectively prohibit a merger between any two of the big four broadcast television networks: ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/fccs-review-broadcast-ownership-rules#:~:text=Dual Television Network Ownership,CBS%2C Fox%2C and NBC.

There is no limit on the number of television stations a single entity may own nationwide as long as the station group collectively reaches no more than 39 percent of all U.S. TV households. For the purpose of determining compliance with this National Television Ownership rule, television stations operating on UHF channels (14 and above) are attributed with only half (50 percent) of the number of TV households in the DMA, as opposed to 100 percent of the number of households attributed to stations operating on VHF channels (13 and below). This is known as the UHF Discount. Unlike the rules discussed above, the National Television Ownership rule is no longer subject to the FCC's quadrennial review.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Maybe it doesn't reach enough people for CW to count? Maybe I'm wrong about CW. Anything that reaches 39% of households falls under that rule.

It might be because they’re minority holders? Or maybe they’d still have to sell the additional 12.5% and that’s the maximum they can hold alongside CBS? I know both Paramount and WBD sold the majority of their CW holdings to Nexstar or whatever and only kept 12.5% each.

• 4 weeks later...

https://trekmovie.com/2024/01/25/skydance-makes-offer-for-paramount-global-star-trek-franchise-could-be-under-new-ownership-again/

The latest update is that talks with David Ellison have progressed the furthest. On Wednesday night, Bloomberg first reported Ellison had made a “preliminary offer” to buy National Amusements. This was backed up by CNBC reporting Ellison wants to take all of Paramount Global private. Skydance, which is a smaller company, would need additional financing for such a deal. It has been speculated that Ellison’s father, billionaire co-founder of Oracle Larry Ellison, could help provide capital for the deal. According to Deadline, Ellison is “mainly interested in the studio but Paramount won’t sell its crown jewel alone.” Fortune reports Ellison and Redstone have discussed selling off the cable assets (like Nickelodeon, MTV, and BET), but “they have assured Redstone they will not break the company up into several pieces and their primary motive is to give it the resources it needs to compete with its larger peers in media.” However, they also report “The fate of the Paramount+ streaming service is uncertain.”